PLDT's Twitter account hacked by group demanding good internet connection

SkyMan

Legion takes a long overdue swing at PLDT!!!! Hooray.

PLDT's Twitter account hacked by group demanding good internet connection

By Melissa Luz Lopez, CNN Philippines

Published May 28, 2020 3:06:39 PM

PLDT-Twitter-0528_CNNPH.jpg
Landline and internet service provider PLDT's Twitter account was hacked Thursday afternoon, with hackers demanding better internet services.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 28) – Landline and internet service provider PLDT's Twitter account was hacked Thursday afternoon, with hackers demanding better internet services.

A group which identified itself as the Legion hackers claimed control over the telecommunications giant's customer services account @PLDT_Cares, renaming it as "PLDT Doesn't Care" at 12:34 p.m. It was a verified account maintained by the company.

The group used the iconic Guy Fawkes mask borrowed from the movie "V for Vendetta," the logo which online hackers – who also call themselves the Anonymous collective – often use to break into online accounts and websites of big brands and even government institutions.

"As the pandemic arises, Filipinos need fast internet to communicate with their loved ones. Do your job. The corrupt fear us, the honest support us, the heroic join us. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us," the tweet read, which has been retweeted for over 44,000 times as of 2 p.m.

The statement came as strict stay-at-home rules are being observed in parts of the Philippines as the government's measure to control the spread of COVID-19. Students and workers have had to resort to virtual lectures and meetings as part of life under the "new normal."

The tweet was taken down at 2:30 p.m., and the account's display name has been reverted to "PLDT Cares."

In a statement, the network said it has recovered the account and assured customers that the security breach "did not affect PLDT's network and services."

The internet provider countered the group's demand for better connectivity, saying that it has provided subscribers with speed boosts and higher data allocations for Fibr customers and Smart subscribers.

"As a result, our customers have been using more extensively a wide range of data and digital services that have helped them cope with life under lockdown," PLDT said in a statement, noting that they invest heavily in their fiber and LTE networks.

The hackers also earlier threatened that PLDT's rival, Globe Telecom, will be next on their agenda. This tweet has been deleted.

https://cnnphilippines.com/business/2020/5/28/PLDT-Twitter-hack.html?fbclid=IwAR1YDZN4QONptdXuEdkniRYyIaO9fR_wowzPmqGs-iCkBBQXyYS128Q7Qrk

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
SkyMan

My PLDT Ultera was down until about 2PM yesterday and know others down on PLDT fiber too.  My neighbor, also Ultera said his was working?!?  I wonder if this was related to the hacking.

Paddy
23 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I wonder if this was related to the hacking.

I doubt it. 

After the last couple of storms I have come to the conclusion that telecom infrastructure here is very fragile. More fragile even than the power system. Also, based on the messages I see when the router is trying to connect, “things” are done in a bit of a loosey goosey manner. 

You might have been affected by a local line/power/switching/change problem or a tech just getting it wrong. 

There’s no cable or fibre into our village yet. When it does get here, I expect better speed when connected but not necessarily better network uptime. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
4 hours ago, Paddy said:

After the last couple of storms I have come to the conclusion that telecom infrastructure here is very fragile...

I can't imagine why...:biggrin_01:

cebu electric-lines.jpg

• Thanks 2
Paddy
6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I can't imagine why...:biggrin_01:

cebu electric-lines.jpg

That would be just a local distribution problem 😀