My Lockdown Construction Projects

Chris24

Very nice, especially the solar recharging system.  I wonder how many cycles the motorcycle batteries will last. Would guess at least a year or two. 

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2020 at 3:26 AM, Chris24 said:

Very nice, especially the solar recharging system.  I wonder how many cycles the motorcycle batteries will last. Would guess at least a year or two. 

They are pretty good Panasonic batteries and we don't use that gate a lot now that the driveway is cured so we can use the regular gate.  The gate gets cycled a few times a week or less.  I would like to put a small temp sensitive fan on the battery box because I think the heat is the main reason batteries don't last long here.

Now that we've started digging the septic I've been trying to figure out how we will construct the tanks.  We're digging just the digestion chamber first rather than the whole thing.  We'll dig the others after that tank is done, then build those and pour the slab on top, all at the same time.  

Originally I was thinking to over strengthen the tanks so I wanted to pour the walls but really wasn't crazy about doing all the formworks for that.  When I thought I would build a 4" block wall 4" inside using them as permanent forms and then fill the void with cement. But that would require double rebar so a bit too expensive.  

Then I realized that extreme strength wasn't really necessary as I don't care if it leaks some.  I just don't want a major blowout.  So, we'll do 3 walls with hollow block packing limestone into any voids outside the blocks. We'll only add the 4" poured outside the wall separating the chambers.  Then we can dig the other 2 chambers and do those walls with hollow block.  I'm leery of just using a hollow block wall there because my land percs well so I don't expect the leach chambers to ever have anything in them to equalize the eventual pressure of the 1st chamber.  Any see any problems with this plan?

Edited by SkyMan
SkyMan

The digs.....

20200620_062318.thumb.jpg.43b1a1fd7cf9cf4ba24f6f73cf6ce25f.jpg

103632591_10223079605323491_402974339744

to_dave007
On 6/16/2020 at 8:37 AM, SkyMan said:

Originally I was thinking to over strengthen the tanks so I wanted to pour the walls but really wasn't crazy about doing all the formworks for that.  When I thought I would build a 4" block wall 4" inside using them as permanent forms and then fill the void with cement. But that would require double rebar so a bit too expensive.  

Then I realized that extreme strength wasn't really necessary as I don't care if it leaks some.  

I wish I had poured the walls to my tank instead of using hollow block.  But NOT because  would want 'super strong".  It's because we planted trees and I fear the roots will seek out the tank and one day the TREES will be the reason we have tank problems.

You don't have a lot of soil on top of the limestone.. I think the soil here goes down 4+ feet.  You planning any trees?

Edited by to_dave007
SkyMan
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I wish I had poured the walls to my tank instead of using hollow block.  But NOT because  would want 'super strong".  It's because we planted trees and I fear the roots will seek out the tank and one day the TREES will be the reason we have tank problems.

You don't have a lot of soil on top of the limestone.. I think the soil here goes down 4+ feet.  You planning any trees?

You have a point there.  The wife will probably want to have trees around the house so I'll have to keep them away from the tank.  The soil depends on where you are on the lot.  Most areas it's maybe 2 feet.  Then there are veins of limestone with veins of soil.  There are some trees my caretaker planted that are doing pretty well.

fred42
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

You have a point there.  The wife will probably want to have trees around the house so I'll have to keep them away from the tank.  The soil depends on where you are on the lot.  Most areas it's maybe 2 feet.  Then there are veins of limestone with veins of soil.  There are some trees my caretaker planted that are doing pretty well.

The last water storage tank we dug out which was last year was 30 Cubic meters.. Not that cheap because we used a shit load of 12mm rebar and form work and did a concrete pour with added sahara waterproofing. 1 sachet per sack of cement. Think we used close to 100 sacks of cement.
Some time this year we are gonna build a similar sized septic tank in exactly the same way but add the five chambers after with CHB`s. 
The water in 5th chamber will be good enough for irrigation.
Important thing is,no leaks.

• Like 2
to_dave007
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

The wife will probably want to have trees around the house so I'll have to keep them away from the tank.

With the thin soil, and the limestone underneath, I expect t will be fairly dry, I would expect the roots to seek out whatever moisture they can find. 

• 4 weeks later...
SkyMan

Floor done so it will be time for wall forms today.   Started digging the the second leach tank waiting for the cement to cure. 

20200713_051942.thumb.jpg.2bfd610d24f29c8008eea6e7b2d64379.jpg

20200713_051950.thumb.jpg.23f67c12cfffcd86c56b2cd7f22d4871.jpg

• Like 2
SkyMan

20200713_052006.thumb.jpg.b7c69b720fa8888aeab2bda3c13b14d0.jpg

• Like 2
to_dave007

really not much soil on top of the limestone,

Hope you aren't doing all the digging by yourself out there in the sun.

SkyMan

I don't do the digging.  I have a big piece of that blue/orange trapal the guys put up on sticks for shade for the digging.  I get plenty of sun though, either mowing the lawn or lately I've been modifying the forms I made to build the wall to fit in the tank.  A little cutting and rewelding.

SkyMan

20 sacks of cement yesterday, a new 1 day record.  Kapoy ko. 4ft done, 3and a bit to go. Maybe Friday. 

20200714_164019.thumb.jpg.f8ca4db2ac4d1ac415b13e1f49cabcf3.jpg

20200714_164031.thumb.jpg.b5cca1940d632d7ece4ac578183f3444.jpg

• Like 4
SkyMan

Got to make use of my new dildonator, just arrived from China via Lazada. Worked well. Heavy though.

20200715_063112.thumb.jpg.60555757a236b00145a6f48916744adc.jpg

• Like 1
to_dave007

allowing 2 days to recover from the work.  Getting old.  My solution to that is getting someone else to help with the heavy bits...  and then some.

• Like 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

allowing 2 days to recover from the work.  Getting old.  My solution to that is getting someone else to help with the heavy bits...  and then some.

I have my full time caretaker and then also his son during construction periods.  Some days, like yesterday, I hire a nearby teenager.  They did most of the heavy work yesterday, loading the mixer and shoveling the buckets, I stood on the step ladder and they handed me buckets to pour into the forms.  Only hard part for me was lifting the vibrator over my head with my right hand so I could direct it with the left.

The top part of the walls will be easier because we'll pour and vibrate from ground level.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1