My Lockdown Construction Projects

Ozepete

So the little concrete mixer still works ok?   :thumbs_up:

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Yeah, that little Subaru runs like a champ. I just have to remember to turn off the petcock when we turn it off because the float valve sticks a bit sometimes. Although it never does when I have the carb apart. And if we're not using it for a couple weeks I turn it off by the petcock so gas doesn't go bad and gum up the jet.

• Like 2
to_dave007
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Next up is a real septic system and replumbing our current house to it.  That will also be the septic for the new house.  The current system is just a leach well and it's in the middle of where the new house will be.  Not looking forward to digging into that but it's been sufficient for the 2 of us for like almost 10 years.

I'll make a point of asking if you're in the middle of that septic project before coming to your place for a coffee after Covid.

If it was me I'd get one of those pumper trucks in, and use a power washer to wash as much of the sh*t to the bottom before the pumper truck finishes sucking it up and leaves. Then I'd pop off the top of the septic tank and go on vacation for a few weeks while it airs out. It's more fun in the Philippines.

• Like 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I'll make a point of asking if you're in the middle of that septic project before coming to your place for a coffee after Covid.

Well, the first step will be building the new one and then moving the soil pipe over.  Not too bad there.  Then we'll raise the lid up and see what we have to deal with.  Probably a year before we do that.  We lifted the lid on my caretaker's outhouse which has been used about the same time as mine and there really wasn't a lot in it.  I looked at least halfway down and didn't see anything.  I wanted to see the situation before putting hollow block walls around it.  No point in doing that if was getting full.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
SkyMan
4 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Funny thing about that mixer, any time I have a new person I have to give them training on it make sure they are fully aware that the mixer turns the opposite way from the crank.  If I don't, the first time they go to flip it over to dump on the left side they dump it right there on the right side.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SkyMan
On 5/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, Ozepete said:

Did a little calculation and we probably mixed over 650 sacks of cement with it so far.  

The 10yo 4X4 system...

82258021_10222945912781261_4084102316388

Future 8X8 home of my poop...

101489602_10222945912221247_137372801174

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Soupeod
18 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Did a little calculation and we probably mixed over 650 sacks of cement with it so far.  

The 10yo 4X4 system...

82258021_10222945912781261_4084102316388

Future 8X8 home of my poop...

101489602_10222945912221247_137372801174

:)  Where are the guard towers! :lol:

• Like 1
to_dave007
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Soupeod said:

Where are the guard towers! 

.The guard towers are unobtrusively installed at the corners of the property.

1579504897_ville_dubrovnik_-_fortifications_nord_009_(forteresse_minceta_2010-05-23)_small.jpg.390ae269836a395543da37d9b49800fb.jpg       1168196625_ville_dubrovnik_-_fortifications_nord_010b_(forteresse_minceta_2010-06-03)_small.jpg.fce2dccdbcf210f37f115853bb706484.jpg

Edited by to_dave007
  • Haha 3
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Soupeod said:

:)  Where are the guard towers! :lol:

I have to build the house first.  Then put up the gargoyles (with the randomly lighting red LED eyes, maybe a screetching voice box on a motion sensor).  Might not need the towers then.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
SkyMan

I'm looking at various septic tanks around the manholes look to be about 14 inches square.  I know that because they tapper down to plug the hole, the hole itself is maybe 12 or 13 inches square?  Do they have skinny guys to go in there?

Headshot
21 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'm looking at various septic tanks around the manholes look to be about 14 inches square.  I know that because they tapper down to plug the hole, the hole itself is maybe 12 or 13 inches square?  Do they have skinny guys to go in there?

My septic tank access covers are about 50 x 50 cm (or 20 inches square). The hole is just a little bit smaller than that so the covers don't fall down through the holes. I would guess 40 x 40 cm (or 16 inches square). Only the first and third chambers have the big access holes. The center chamber has an access hole that is less than a foot square. Generally, they only clean out the first chamber anyway.

• Like 2
SkyMan
11 hours ago, Headshot said:

My septic tank access covers are about 50 x 50 cm (or 20 inches square). The hole is just a little bit smaller than that so the covers don't fall down through the holes. I would guess 40 x 40 cm (or 16 inches square). Only the first and third chambers have the big access holes. The center chamber has an access hole that is less than a foot square. Generally, they only clean out the first chamber anyway.

Thanks.  I was going to go measure my neighbor's but then remembered he has one of those black plastic tank systems.

IloveIloilo

May I ask what the rough cost per linear meter was to construct a wall like that?

SkyMan
3 hours ago, IloveIloilo said:

May I ask what the rough cost per linear meter was to construct a wall like that?

It would really be a rough guess.  I had intended to keep journal of all the costs associated with it but that didn't last very long and I probably wouldn't want to know.  The wall in the picture is 5" of poured concrete but due to the grade undulations it's 3 meters high at the ends and as high as 5 meters in the middle.   About 5-7 sacks of cement to make a column and the wall panels took about 4 sacks per form set (about 4ft) with 3 or 4 sets to make a full panel.  Lots of rebar of course.

• Like 1