to_dave007
12 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Rats (actually mice) get in some pretty small holes and will chew through some of the thin wood construction materials here.  

we have rats (and mice) out here in Tuburan too..  and on a couple occasions the rats got into the attic area..  but not inside the living space.  They got in by coming down the electrical wires to the roof (I just happened to catch side of rats shadow coming down the power cable one night), or down a hanging coconut branch.  The cats and dogs keep them mostly well above ground level out here.  Aside from  making sure no food available for them, I would make sure they have no path to get on roof (plus I agree with Headshots advice above).

Edited by to_dave007

SkyMan
13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

we have rats (and mice) out here in Tuburan too..  and on a couple occasions the rats got into the attic area..  but not inside the living space.  They got in by coming down the electrical wires to the roof (I just happened to catch side of rats shadow coming down the power cable one night), or down a hanging coconut branch.  The cats and dogs keep them mostly well above ground level out here.  Aside from  making sure no food available for them, I would make sure they have no path to get on roof (plus I agree with Headshots advice above).

We had rats in the attic at the place we rented before moving in here.  Actual rats.  I saw them running across the power lines to the roof.  When they had sex up there they sounded much larger, like monkeys or something.  I through some poison up there and it quieted down a while but luckily the smell didn't come down into the house.

The new house won't have that problem as the power will come underground into the garage.  I'll post some pictures of the design when I get the roof finished and the septic on there.