National Telecommunications Commission Cell Tower Land Procurement

mikecon3
Posted (edited)

Was wondering if anyone has heard about or had dealings with NTC (National Telecommunications Commission) regarding procuring land for cell towers?

It appears they have started looking for land in parts of Southern Masbate to either buy or lease to put up more towers. As Southern Masbate is always the last to get anything, I figured this has already happened everywhere else so someone here must know something about it.

I have been told they are taking applications if people are interested, to include coordinates, and are looking for locations from different barangays and towns. Didn’t get any details on how much land they are looking for at each location, and have only heard rumors about the amount. I think most cell tower locations I have seen are 10m by 10m max, but most are a lot smaller than that.

Edited by mikecon3
  • Like 1
BossHog
Posted (edited)

We've leased a few parcels of land for cell phone towers but have always dealt directly with the telcos themselves and not the NTC. The area is 100 sqm as you mentioned. Leases were for 25 years @8k a month. Some were prepaid for the duration of the contract, others pay us monthly. If you can try and get the security and maintenance contract as well, that's good for another 10k or so a month.

An added benefit is getting electric service to rather remote land installed on someone else's dime. 

Can't speak to the NTC but this might give you a frame of reference.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
mikecon3
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

We've leased a few parcels of land for cell phone towers but have always dealt directly with the telcos themselves and not the NTC. The area is 100 sqm as you mentioned. Leases were for 25 years @8k a month. Some were prepaid for the duration of the contract, others pay us monthly. If you can try and get the security and maintenance contract as well, that's good for another 10k or so a month.

An added benefit is getting electric service to rather remote land installed on someone else's dime. 

Can't speak to the NTC but this might give you a frame of reference.

BossHog, thanks alot for the info, it is very helpful and clears up a few things for me. I am sure you are right about the telcos, they probably told my wife NTC because people know who they are. I would imagine that NTC either awards contracts, or provides the permits or licenses to the telecom companies, not do the work themselves.

We were not aware of the security and maintenance contracts, it is good to know about that beforehand, sounds like a sweet deal if you can get it. I would imagine that entails someone cutting the grass when needed and making sure the door is locked?!

At this point, we have just submitted the coordinates for the lots, along with everyone else in a 100km radius! I guess if it is in a location they want, they’ll let us know.

BossHog
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mikecon3 said:

We were not aware of the security and maintenance contracts, it is good to know about that beforehand, sounds like a sweet deal if you can get it. I would imagine that entails someone cutting the grass when needed and making sure the door is locked?!

Bit more involved than that. Depending on the site it can be attended or unattended. For the main tower on this island (that transmits to the other local towers) we pay 6k a month for two guys who rotate shifts but someone's there 24/7. They need to be to start the massive genny during brown-outs. For the smaller sub-stations not much need for man-power. The lawn-mowing doesn't happen; these things are generally on mountain-tops after all.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
mikecon3
8 minutes ago, BossHog said:

The lawn-mowing doesn't happen; these things are on mountain-tops after all.

Thanks again for the info. No mountains in this area, they do have a few small hills! I sometimes forget that a lot of the Philippines isn't flat like it is in our area. 

• Like 1
Paddy

There was some talk in the village about this a couple of weeks ago. Seems the folks here (Mobo) with suitable land weren’t greatly interested so whichever telco it was went off elsewhere. 

Other than not particularly wanting to add a cell tower to my nice, pastoral view, I would have thought it’s a good thing for subsistence level farmers around here - and it might even improve the service!!

• Like 1
mikecon3
Posted (edited)

The wife was told this morning that the lease is 30 years, they want 300sqm, for 3.6M prepaid. 

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Other than not particularly wanting to add a cell tower to my nice, pastoral view, I would have thought it’s a good thing for subsistence level farmers around here - and it might even improve the service!!

Since I am supposed to be retired now and living the dream, but instead I am stuck here in this sandbox until nobody knows when, this would make a nice retirement present! 3.6M is a new Ford Ranger Raptor and a new motorcycle! :thumbsup:

I agree, there are places I wouldn't want to have to look at one, then there are other places it wouldn't bother me at all.

Edited by mikecon3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Paddy

That sounds like a pretty good deal - especially since, around here, they might be able to buy the land for 100k or less!

• Like 1
BossHog
4 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

The wife was told this morning that the lease is 30 years, they want 300sqm, for 3.6M prepaid.

Sounds like a deal; I'd go for it. The area sounds needlessly large, but if you got the space then whatever.

4 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

3.6M is a new Ford Ranger Raptor and a new motorcycle!

Globe has already paid me 10 million and the monthly payments keep coming in. The towers are kilometres away from us so not an eyesore. 

Have your own lawyer look at the contract (obviously). To say these corporations are sneaky is an understatement. Good luck to you!

ps. We bought vehicles too, lol.

• Thanks 1