• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• baby43

• Soupeod

• to_dave007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget the “ thats not the way they do it back home” mindset. Thats the way they do it here, accept it.

Best loan I ever made was to my bro in law awhile back. P1,500. Haven't seen him since!

A loan becomes a gift ,so don't loan unless you can afford not to get it back.

Posted Images

newtocebu
12 hours ago, yingy52 said:

And don't do anything perverted..like walking outside of your gate with nothing more than shorts and flip flops on!:lamoe:

I used to walk around my yard with nothing on but the radio

The only perverted thing about it was the comments I received from my adoring fans as they passed by

• Haha 4
jtmwatchbiz
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Just remember, I have some real photos of you...:biggrin_01:

Hey I needed the money.  Heck I don't even remember the guy's name.  Jeez must you be so vicious? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SkyMan
On 5/19/2020 at 2:20 PM, Salty Dog said:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. However, some people are city people, and that's fine too...

Yeah, it depends on what you're used to.  My first trip here was a week in CC, very uncomfortable, then two weeks mostly in the province. Much better.  When I got back to my rural home I realized the city was the problem and I would likely have been nearly as uncomfortable in Chicago or other large city. 

As for advice. Don't base your decision to move here based solely on tourist visits staying in resorts and eating in restos unless you can afford to do that and plan to do that all the time. It's ok to travel around and see sites but it's also a good idea to plant yourself somewhere a month or two and deal with the day to day stuff. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
baby43

There a lot of truth in that Skyman.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

The title of the thread says new visitor.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that means someone coming to the Philippines to live the rest of their life.

My 1st trip there was only 3 days.

SkyMan
25 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

The title of the thread says new visitor.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that means someone coming to the Philippines to live the rest of their life.

My 1st trip there was only 3 days.

Ok, then advice is:

Book direct to Cebu, Davao,  or any itinerary that doesn't include Manila.

Don't worry about booking a bunch of hotels unless you're coming around Christmas or Sinulog. 

And for for the love of God, don't come for just 3 days.

• Like 7
BossHog
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

that doesn't include Manila.

Parts of Manila are very friendly for a first time visitor. BGC (Bonifacio Global City) would be an ideal spot to decompress and acclimate somewhat after a long-haul flight. Decent restaurants and clubs abound (unlike Cebu). You'll want to be cashed up though.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
Cgu

If you can live by the slogan "Its more fun in the Philippines" you will enjoy it here. When you will be in a frustrating or unusual situation or confronted by illogical answers or behavior  (from your usual perspective),  try to get into the perspective of the slogan, try to turn into a positive situation and think to yourself this is really more fun, you would never experience such hillarious things in any part of the world and enjoy it. This of course for the hopefully more enjouyous moments as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
SmokyMtnRon
On 5/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, East Saxon said:

A loan becomes a gift ,so don't loan unless you can afford not to get it back.

Truth.

• Like 1
lamoe

If buying things of considerable value - use credit card for major purchases and COD for online ones - Lazada in particular.

INSPECT everything that's delivered.

CC= leverage with store when encountering hidden problems / damage after delivery.

Online purchases - open package to inspect / verify operation of eclectic ones. Tip the delivery guy - won't mind waiting

• Like 1
Ozepete

And if your bank balance is like a barometer that indicates her love intensity for you , run!  

And while those hot 20 something chicks in the mall get your 50 to 60 year old juices bubbling, remember she will always be younger than your daughter or niece back home!  IE: when your near 80 and useless she will be 40 something and rearing to go! What then?  There are many wonderful and attractive Filipinas in the closer to your own age range, so stay real. My sweetie just turned 60 and is still a head turner, well mine anyway! :P 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
mikewright

Same advice I would give to a person visiting any country for the first time. Learn as much about the country as possible before visiting.

Plenty of good guide books, websites and forums around.

I use the Lonely Planet guide book when visiting a country for the first time, but there are many others around.  These give basic information about the history of the country,  health, safety, annoyances, currency, scams, culture, food, transport and the like, as well as suggestions for itineraries and details of the major tourist spots of interest.

Forums such as LinC and Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree are excellent sources for getting help on more specific questions about the Philippines, and there are plenty of videos online to give first-timers an idea of what to expect. Websites such as Travelscams.org are good for alerting newcomers to potential scams.

IMO a good travel insurance policy is a must, but you need to be aware of the exclusions, which differ from company to company. There are sites which compare the costs, benefits and exclusions of different travel insurance policies.

• Like 2
rfm010
20 hours ago, mikewright said:

IMO a good travel insurance policy is a must, but you need to be aware of the exclusions, which differ from company to company. There are sites which compare the costs, benefits and exclusions of different travel insurance policies.

Good topic here in its own right if you have any information/experiences to share.  When i've seen the topic come up in linc nothing much has been said.  I use malayan but have never had reason to put them to the test.

• Like 3
baby43

yeah be good to hear some experiences from some many been ripped off big time to ashamed of telling rfm100.

• Like 1