Advice for new visitors to the Philippines

smokey
Posted (edited)

Like to feel like your in us but sport a cutie look at subic or like trees look bagio

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• baby43

• Soupeod

• to_dave007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget the “ thats not the way they do it back home” mindset. Thats the way they do it here, accept it.

Best loan I ever made was to my bro in law awhile back. P1,500. Haven't seen him since!

A loan becomes a gift ,so don't loan unless you can afford not to get it back.

Posted Images

newtocebu

Just because a Filipina says you are handsome, it doesnt make it true

If you are truly handsome like me, then Filipina’s will call you ‘artista’, or as in my case ‘Piolo’ (i am the Piolo Pascual of Australia, just without the gayness)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
Paddy
19 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Get out of the city..  Stay in a small town for a while.  Don't be afraid.. It's much safer than you think.

Absolutely. However, be aware that you will be under a microscope. Everybody will know who you are and what you do. Many will stare - but don’t worry about that - just smile and pass the time of day. They will smile back. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
HTM

Get good local good friends  stay away from most foreigners! Your foreigners friends need to be some that have a good life here and integrated in the Philippine system. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
baby43

EAST SAXON, Very true words yes a loan is a gift, and another thing there no such thing as saying thank you but they expect you to give them a gift , sure they say salamat to their Filipino friends which means thank you, but foreigners like us, they just smile no thank you, and also be prepared take extended family out for meals even hire a jeepney and have many turn up and you the foreigner pay for everything , and they order extra food take home they call it a doggie bag to feed family at home.

We have good Filipino friends they have a big laugh when they see a jeepney pull up full of Filipino, they say there another stupid foreigner, those Filipinos   who expect foreigner to pay for everything, they call it Filipino culture to ask.

• Like 3
lamoe
1 hour ago, baby43 said:

EAST SAXON, Very true words yes a loan is a gift, and another thing there no such thing as saying thank you but they expect you to give them a gift , sure they say salamat to their Filipino friends which means thank you, but foreigners like us, they just smile no thank you, and also be prepared take extended family out for meals even hire a jeepney and have many turn up and you the foreigner pay for everything , and they order extra food take home they call it a doggie bag to feed family at home.

We have good Filipino friends they have a big laugh when they see a jeepney pull up full of Filipino, they say there another stupid foreigner, those Filipinos   who expect foreigner to pay for everything, they call it Filipino culture to ask.

Depends on the your partner and the family -  hers is very conscious of a loan being a loan.

We've been asked to purchase in excess of  P100,000 over the years for various members in Bohol - I never had to ask where's our money?

BUT - you are very correct about the loans generally and the food. One member of her family is excluded from any gathering I say I will pay for due to taking advantage of an invitation. Ordered largest whole crab they had in addition to Boodles I agreed to and a very expensive cocktail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
yingy52
6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Absolutely. However, be aware that you will be under a microscope. Everybody will know who you are and what you do. Many will stare - but don’t worry about that - just smile and pass the time of day. They will smile back. 

And don't do anything perverted..like walking outside of your gate with nothing more than shorts and flip flops on!:lamoe:

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, yingy52 said:

And don't do anything perverted..like walking outside of your gate with nothing more than shorts and flip flops on!:lamoe:

Hey that wasn't my fault.  I am just used to wearing shorts at work.

reno6.jpg

• Haha 4
Soupeod
3 hours ago, lamoe said:

Depends on the your partner and the family -  hers is very conscious of a loan being a loan.

We've been asked to purchase in excess of  P100,000 over the years for various members in Bohol - I never had to ask where's our money?

BUT - you are very correct about the loans generally and the food. One member of her family is excluded from any gathering I say I will pay for due to taking advantage of an invitation. Ordered largest whole crab they had in addition to Boodles I agreed to and a very expensive cocktail.

Agree with Lamoe, depends on the family no matter where you are in the world.

HTM
6 hours ago, baby43 said:

I think you pick wrong Pinoy friends, same as every time I eat or have coffee whit my "friend"  Fred.... he forgot his money at home. But if I visit him he always have a glass of water to offer, not always cold..... So its not all bad. hehe 

• Haha 5
jtmwatchbiz
12 minutes ago, HTM said:

if I visit him he always have a glass of water to offer, not always cold.

hey the canal behind our house isn't refrigerated!  

• Haha 5
Chris24

- try to learn some of the local language

- try some of the street food, starting with non-meats

- Travel around but spend at least a few days in each spot or longer if you have time

• Like 2
liquido

Sachets/small packets are not considered a free sample....Buying the large container size does not necessarily mean your getting a better deal per ounce/ml compared to buying a sachet... Its true but humorous

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1