Ozepete

Advice for new visitors to the Philippines

HongKongPhooey
Posted (edited)

Hongkongphooey: “When planning your first social event or party, only invite a few close friends; multiply that by fifty for how many people will actually show up. Oh, and BYOB isn’t really a thing here.”

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

jtmwatchbiz

fred:  If visiting keep your head low and things simple.  If moving there do the same but make some influential friends.  If moving there and conducting business then make as many influential friends as possible.  In the blink of an eye things can go pear shaped and it's not what you know...it's who you know.  :biggrin_01:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Soupeod
6 hours ago, Ozepete said:

I am one of many who would have benefited greatly if I had known earlier about the 'Living in Cebu' forum and had accessed a lot of the wisdom posted by earlier arrivals. 

So what about a thread that lists each of our pet bits of Philippine gained wisdom:   

So come on guys and gals, please post your little pearls of wisdom here, it might save a visitor (or local) a lot of pain!   At least create some interest. :drinks:And for a starter here is mine below:

OzePete: 'Leave that superior western attitude behind, keep an open mind and respect the locals' 

Oi Pete had I read the wisdom here before marring my second wife, I calculated I would have saved 30k US. Just an Fyi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

to_dave007

Rent don't buy or build for at LEAST xx years. Travel around and see as much as you can before you settle in one location.

Make sure you understand the ABSOLUTE COMMUNITY law..  And when you think you understand it.. learn some more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

battleborn

Learn to speak rooster

• Like 2

fred42

Don`t call any politician "Buang" on the internet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Captain Camiguin

1 yrs after me comes to the magnificent Philippines  me is millionaire yahoooo yippy yi a,  me telling you my secrets.  Ok firt you brings 2 millions Euro then 1 yers later on you only havea 1 millions lefts so you still is the millions aire, yes ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

BossHog

Shop in the markets. Not the super ones, the other ones. Don't be ass-terrified of initially getting overcharged a few pesos because you look different. It's important to cultivate  'suki' relationships. The vendors you patronize regularly will look right out for you and your regular business (and save you the choicest stuff).

When I first came here I went to the supermarket a few times and realized we'd just bought a large assortment of cans, powders, and mixes. I was like "where's the actual food?" It's in the markets of course.This isn't always readily apparent to a new visitor.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
3 minutes ago, BossHog said:

The vendors you patronize regularly will look right out for you and your regular business (and save you the choicest stuff).

Agree completely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

Get out of the city..  Stay in a small town for a while.  Don't be afraid.. It's much safer than you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Salty Dog
14 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Get out of the city..  Stay in a small town for a while.  Don't be afraid.. It's much safer than you think.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. However, some people are city people, and that's fine too...

• Like 3

Soupeod
6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. However, some people are city people, and that's fine too...

Of course, the Covid menu will be there soon.

Look at the Linc members exiting stage left and abandoning their significant other.

• Confused 1

Headshot

Advice to new visitors? I didn't think they were letting new visitors into the country anymore.   :as-if:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1