Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

Soupeod

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/unbelievable-young-driver-caught-allegedly-speeding-308-km-h-on-ontario-highway-1.4932981

'Unbelievable': Young driver caught allegedly speeding 308 km/h on Ontario highway

TORONTO -- The OPP says they caught a young driver allegedly speeding at 308 kilometres an hour on the QEW Saturday night.

“This is the fastest speed that I’ve ever heard of,” OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said in a video posted to Twitter Sunday morning.

Schmidt said that the 19-year-old driver was in his father’s car at the time of the incident with another 19-year-old passenger alongside him.

“Unbelievable speeds, we’re talking 191 miles an hour, we’re talking 85 metres a second, 280 feet per second,” Schmidt said, questioning how a driver could properly react to potential obstacles on the highway at those speeds.

Schmidt said that the driver was stopped near Burlington and was subsequently charged with stunt driving under the Highway Traffic Act as well as a criminal charge of dangerous driving.

The driver’s licence has also been suspended for seven days and the vehicle has been impounded for the same amount of time.

“This is absolutely egregious for anyone to be going those kinds of speeds,” Schmidt said. “The speed limit is 100, there’s areas where it’s 110. When you’re going triple the speed limit, I don’t even know where to begin with that.”

“So I’m pretty much speechless on this one.”

The car was going so fast that drivers passing by were “honking in delight” that the vehicle had been stopped, according to Schmidt.

Speeding offences have been on the rise since the COVID-19 outbreak began in Ontario in late January.

In fact, Toronto police confirmed last month that officers have been handing out an unusually high number of speeding tickets. Close to 3,000 speeding tickets were handed out between March 15 and March 31, an increase of roughly 35 per cent over the same period last year.

• Like 2
Sibonga Simon

Would love to know what sort of car it was.....  I could outrun the barangay tanod on his moped for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
to_dave007

I remember.. some years back.. also in Ontario.. in Toronto..  two young guys .. each driving their fathers BMW..  decided to race each other up one road with a lot of turns... and blind spots.. The end result.. they hit a taxi broadside.. killed the driver.. The driver was a new immigrant to Canada, working hard to bring his young wife and son to Canada, and start a new life. They were due to arrive shortly after this incident.

I still believe the fathers should be culpable.. legally responsible for damages ..  for putting these weapons in the hands of their irresponsible sons.

• Thanks 1
Ozepete

Recently in Melbourne a scum bag in a Porsche was being booked by police after a major chase in which he claimed to be doing up to 300K/hr. While being booked a truck ran into the scene killing four police officers.  The scum from the Porsche spent 3 minutes taking video of the dying officers before he ran from the scene. Unbelievably he posted the video on line. He is now locked up and will hopefully stay there until he rots, the piece of garbage. 

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/scary-footage-of-porsche-before-crash/4000815/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
to_dave007

Here on the west coast of Cebu we see a group of 3 or 4 Porsche and a red Ferrari zip by fairly often on the weekends.  And Large numbers of big bikes doing the round the island circuit.. most often on Sundays.. always fast and loud.  For those living along the highway, it's annoying.

• Like 1
arentol
17 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Here on the west coast of Cebu we see a group of 3 or 4 Porsche and a red Ferrari zip by fairly often on the weekends.  And Large numbers of big bikes doing the round the island circuit.. most often on Sundays.. always fast and loud.  For those living along the highway, it's annoying.

I used to drive Transcentral quite frequently and, as you said, the Sunday groups are quite common there... notably the sportscar club, the sports motorbike club, and the chopper motorbike club. One time about 4 years back.. one of the lambos went head-on into a gutter between Gaas and Sirao. Got banged up pretty good!

Aren

• Like 2
Buko Beach
On 5/12/2020 at 12:09 AM, Sibonga Simon said:

Would love to know what sort of car it was.....  I could outrun the barangay tanod on his moped for sure!

Mercedes C63 AMG coupe

• Thanks 1
Buko Beach

MERCEDES308.jpg

RADAR308.jpg

• Thanks 3
to_dave007

Mmm.. dad gonna be a bit pissed off.

Paddy

I’m trying to remember what those big speed limit signs on the 401 around Cornwall and QEW around Niagara used to say. If I recall correctly, 50kph over was pretty expensive. Probably have to give the car up for 208kph over!

• Like 1
to_dave007
46 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I’m trying to remember what those big speed limit signs on the 401 around Cornwall and QEW around Niagara used to say. If I recall correctly, 50kph over was pretty expensive. Probably have to give the car up for 208kph over!

The court will set the fine.. And from the following table I would expect it to be well into the thousands.  Depends what mood the judge is in.

Schedule B

Highway Traffic Act
Speeding

a) 1-19 kilometres per hour over the maximum speed limit - $2.50 per kilometre

b) 20-29 kilometres per hour over the maximum speed limit - $3.75 per kilometre

c) 30-49 kilometres per hour over the maximum speed limit - $6.00 per kilometre

d) 50 kilometres per hour or more over the maximum speed limit - No out of court settlement

https://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/schedule-43/

smokey
Posted (edited)

I was fined 3000 us in oregon driving 137 mph asked for traffic school judge laughed and lowered it to 1500 and traffic school

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
HTM

Lots of European Cars +190mph