Text Verification Using PH Phone Number

smokey

I use wells fargo in us and bdo here.  With the virus bdo stoped taking usa checks for deposit .

I went on line to set up a wire had my wife do it at wells in usa . after first time i went on line to send money from wells to bdo all was fine till end said you need a code number to complete this transaction .

I CLICKED SEND CODE SCREEN SAID A TEXT CAN NOT BE SENT TO THIS NUMBER TRY ANOTHER NUMBER?? Looks like they are looking for a us number as my cell is listed with wells for years

Soupeod

Recommend using Transferwise. Us to Phil peso account, good rates and small fees.

You can do wired or direct debit

cookie47
57 minutes ago, smokey said:

Looks like they are looking for a us number as

Had the same problem,,, when in Australia i used to get a text message with a security code when transacting transfers... 

Now however being in the Philippines the text feature did not function. 

I discovered (in the banks menu options) i could change my text option to an email. 

Since then no problem. Australia to Metrobank in Cebu 3 days.. And despite some issues with some members, the International Intermediary is Western Union. 

Work for me.. 

• 2 months later...
Kabisay-an gid
On 5/12/2020 at 12:02 AM, cookie47 said:

Had the same problem,,, when in Australia i used to get a text message with a security code when transacting transfers... 

Now however being in the Philippines the text feature did not function. 

I discovered (in the banks menu options) i could change my text option to an email. 

Since then no problem. Australia to Metrobank in Cebu 3 days.. And despite some issues with some members, the International Intermediary is Western Union. 

Work for me.. 

My wife and I both use Western Union, and have never had a major problem. However, we don't care for Metrobank because their branches operate independently of each other - if you try to bank at a branch that isn't your "home" branch, they won't process even most standard transactions. We're BPI all the way, which is the Philippine bank that comes closest to operating on par with western banks. I've heard BDO is quite good, but I don't know if their branches operate independently of each other or not.

• Like 1
SkyMan
On 5/12/2020 at 11:01 AM, smokey said:

I CLICKED SEND CODE SCREEN SAID A TEXT CAN NOT BE SENT TO THIS NUMBER TRY ANOTHER NUMBER??

Did you have the full int'l number?  +639........  I'm guessing yes, but just checking.

cookie47

My wife and I both use Western Union, and have never had a major problem. However, we don't care for Metrobank because their branches operate independently of each other - if you try to bank at a branch that isn't your "home" branch, they won't process even most standard transactions. We're BPI all the way, which is the Philippine bank that comes closest to operating on par with western banks. I've heard BDO is quite good, but I don't know if their branches operate independently of each other or not.
Yes, I've heard all the horror stories with Metro Bank. However it works for us. As seniors we don't get out and about much so the different branch issue doesn't really bother us but I understand for the traveller's it would be a pain.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I've heard BDO is quite good, but I don't know if their branches operate independently of each other or not.

BDO branches are independant but you can use  branches other than  home branch for a fee

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3
Jim_in_Jax
On 5/12/2020 at 11:01 AM, smokey said:

I use wells fargo in us and bdo here.  With the virus bdo stoped taking usa checks for deposit .

I went on line to set up a wire had my wife do it at wells in usa . after first time i went on line to send money from wells to bdo all was fine till end said you need a code number to complete this transaction .

I CLICKED SEND CODE SCREEN SAID A TEXT CAN NOT BE SENT TO THIS NUMBER TRY ANOTHER NUMBER?? Looks like they are looking for a us number as my cell is listed with wells for years

We use a Google Voice number in the US to receive text messages from situations like this.  You can choose from any state and area code.  It even works to make calls on the PC with but the Google Voice app on the phone will not work with a Philippines cell carrier.  You can still use the app on the phone to send and receive text messages to US numbers though.

smokey

So download google voice and then you pick a number  put that on bank profile then when bank sends out code it will go to that number and you while in philippines will receive it as a text ? 

cookie47
So download google voice and then you pick a number  put that on bank profile then when bank sends out code it will go to that number and you while in philippines will receive it as a text ? 
Why don't you just get verification code by email.?

As I said earlier, MY bank in Australia offers both options. HOWEVER

Text does not work FROM Australia to the PHILIPPINES, but email does.

Email arrives within 30 seconds of requesting code. (which I might add is Automatic),so you can complete the transaction...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Jim_in_Jax
55 minutes ago, smokey said:

Yes you can add the app to your phone.  You need a Google account of course, which you should have if you're using an Android phone.  Go to the voice.google.com site and pick a phone number in the state and area code you want.  Once it's verified then you can use that as a US number when you need it for these 2 factor authentication sites that require or request it.  Like I said you can't use the voice part on your phone but the texts work.  On your pc you can use it for voice and text.  It is how we stay in contact with friends and family in the US, along with Google Duo.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

Yes you can add the app to your phone.  You need a Google account of course, which you should have if you're using an Android phone.  Go to the voice.google.com site and pick a phone number in the state and area code you want.  Once it's verified then you can use that as a US number when you need it for these 2 factor authentication sites that require or request it.  Like I said you can't use the voice part on your phone but the texts work.  On your pc you can use it for voice and text.  It is how we stay in contact with friends and family in the US, along with Google Duo.

I use voice for outgoing calls on my phone but have difficulty catching an incoming call. Also, the IRS refuses to accept a GV number for verification. Not sure how they know it's GV but it doesn't work.