Western Union.. never again!

Jester
Posted (edited)

No major issues with WU,  just little ones, exchange rate being one.

We are experimenting with Remitly,  first transfer was free.

https://www.remitly.com/us/en/philippines

Edited by Jester
Kabisay-an gid
8 hours ago, Jester said:

No major issues with WU,  just little ones, exchange rate being one.

https://www.remitly.com/us/en/philippines

Are you American? If so, there's no reason you would need to bother with an exchange rate.

My wife sends money from the US to the Philippines via WU with her debit card, the fee is only $5. Her brother picks up US dollars on his end, then goes to wherever he can get the best exchange rate in his municipality and converts to pesos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Are you American? If so, there's no reason you would need to bother with an exchange rate.

My wife sends money from the US to the Philippines via WU with her debit card, the fee is only $5. Her brother picks up US dollars on his end, then goes to wherever he can get the best exchange rate in his municipality and converts to pesos.

Not sure how RP banks work - have my daughter's checking account (different bank)  set up so I can directly deposit money into it. Takes a few days.

She can't directly access any of my accounts and I can't access hers.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

She can't directly access any of my accounts and I can't access hers.

So then how do you get your money?

4 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

The ATM fee for BPI (up to p20K per) is also about $5 (p250) and the exchange rate is close to the rate on XE.  USAA (up to $15) and Schwab (unlimited) both refund the bank fee.

SkyMan
13 hours ago, Jester said:

They're all decent rates on the first transfer. After that you're better using an ATM.

lamoe
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

So then how do you get your money?

Chase  has most of my accounts - direct deposit - set up transfer capability  from Chase primary checking to Schwab checking / debit - use card debit for ATM

I capped it at P50,000 per day with notification if suspect activity.

Edited by lamoe
Kabisay-an gid

USAA charges you a non-refundable 1% foreign transaction fee on all atm withdrawals and debit card purchases.

Major banks like BPI have mediocre exchange rates, my Pinoy brother-in-law can do better elsewhere. Not to mention that WU is about a 2 minute walk  from his house. The nearest BPI ATM is an hour plus round trip from his house, and fuel isn't cheap in the Phils.

WU is the best option for my particular situation. YMMV.