Western Union.. never again!

Ozepete

Wife's niece, husband and child in the province were stuck with zip.  We sent funds on April 19th via WU.   We get notice that funds are ready to collect that day so under difficulty she gets to Catmon to collect only to be told 'funds from overseas are not available, leave phone number and we will text when to return / collect. Waits five days with no text so returns to D'Hulliers only to be told the same. Another three days and nothing no money, no food so she goes to Carmen agent and told the same!!!  Each time I check on line and their site says ready to collect. I contact WU and after long wait this idiot explains that it is not a WU problem and she should go back to the WU agent then contact WU from there! WTF, I explain to this brains trust that it is a WU and WU agent issue to resolve, not my recipients!  Long story short I told them to jam their business and resent with Remitly, all good.  No more Western Union for me! 

• Like 9
to_dave007

Couple years back I sent money and there was some problem..  and tried to contact their "customer service" people.. Total waste of time.  Absolutely USELESS.

My take.. when it works it's great.. but if their is any problem..  there is NO meaningful customer service.

• Like 1
BossHog

Yeah, Western Union sucks and are operating on name recognition only. Glad to hear you found an alternative method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
HeyMike

I used to send my brother-in-law to use an atm in Carcar (the next town over but a long ride) to get money for me. Then my wife told me about Remitly and we have been using them for almost a year now. My BIL gets the money in town in Barili and has never had a problem. In fact, I just sent money to the family tonight (morning for them). Remitly has been working great for us. WU sounds like a nightmare... I hope I never have to use them.  

• Like 2
TimL

I’ve used WesternUnion 4 times over the past 10 years and all 4 times, I had a fraudulent charge on my debit card within a day of using it. Never again. 

• Thanks 2
Soupeod

Yeah I too quit using them. I use transferwise now from the US checking to Phil savings.

• Like 2
Jeepney
1 hour ago, Soupeod said:

Yeah I too quit using them. I use transferwise now from the US checking to Phil savings.

Transferwise, only way to go , but...to bank accounts only.., if you have BPI, you can send via palawan from your account, very handy, costs 40 pesos orso more to do it that way, but anything is better then going to them offices.

• Like 1
lamoe

Also cost to send - P3,000 to Bohol Inabanga for rice - WU P490 - Palawn P210 - R&D P180

BTW WU said they couldn't due to no money there. Also, no branch in Inabanga only Tubigon

Paddy

It would seem that many remittance services are the same. When it works - fine. When it doesn’t work - no one knows what’s going on. 
I sent some money to myself recently using WorldRemit. Counter pick up at a Palawan (because of the difficulty of getting to an ATM). 
1st problem - there’s Palawan and Palawan agents. Agents can’t do international remittances. 
2nd problem - A Palawan counter pickup comes in via Metrobank. So I get to the “real” Palawan office (having received the email from Worldremit - your funds are ready for pickup) to be told “Not Available. Try tomorrow”. The funds really were available the next day but it is now obvious that it was a processing issue at Metrobank. 
It wouldn’t be so bad if WorldRemit had known that Metrobank was not able to move the funds on in the promised 10 minute timeframe - but they obviously didn’t. 

I’ve tried a couple more since but now there’s a new problem. When I try to pay online, a message comes up saying “additional verification needed - call your bank”. So I call the bank “the transaction is coming in with the request for additional verification on it”. If no one does anything, the transaction “dies”. WorldRemit say it’s not them. The bank say it’s not them. Assuming they’re both right, there’s only one possible culprit left and that’s VISA. (Verified by Visa). 
Years ago, VbyV used to pop up a password screen. Then that stopped and the transactions just went through. Now something else has changed but I haven’t yet been able to find someone who can tell me what changed or how to fix it. 

HeyMike

As I posted, I use Remitly and have the money sent to Palawan in my town. I always send the money early morning Philippine time (usually 6:30 am or there about) because there is no line waiting at Palawan at that time. The line does get longer the later it gets. My brother-in-law has never had to wait and the money has always been there. This is in the province, not in the city.

• Like 2
Chris24

We just gave a trusted family member an ATM card drawn on a US bank account that only has funds in it when we want to send money.  There are some modest fees involved but it's convenient (on both ends - - just transferring online here, and a trip to any ATM there).  The ladies of my house set this up and I imagine they figured out how to reduce the ATM and foreign transaction fees, etc.  It's just too convenient especially in this environment for the receiver to be able to go to any ATM at any hour to withdraw funds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...
mistaeric
On 5/6/2020 at 11:26 AM, Chris24 said:

We just gave a trusted family member an ATM card drawn on a US bank account that only has funds in it when we want to send money.  There are some modest fees involved but it's convenient (on both ends - - just transferring online here, and a trip to any ATM there).  The ladies of my house set this up and I imagine they figured out how to reduce the ATM and foreign transaction fees, etc.  It's just too convenient especially in this environment for the receiver to be able to go to any ATM at any hour to withdraw funds.

Charles Schwab reimburse ATM fees

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
4 hours ago, mistaeric said:

Charles Schwab reimburse ATM fees

In addition the exchange rate has been within a few centavos of what's shown on internet.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I've always noticed when using my USAA card at ATMs there, that they gave me a very favorable exchange rate... :thumbsup:

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I've always noticed when using my USAA card at ATMs there, that they gave me a very favorable exchange rate... :thumbsup:

Yes, but I'm not sure if they still refund foreign ATM fees. They used to but it was limited to $15 a month.  I'll know for sure in a few days.  

Nevermind, just got the fee refunded.  So you get about 3 uses per month.

Edited by SkyMan