hyaku

Nearly lost one of our GSDs last week. They were playing with giant cane toad. It's happened before but small ones and the dogs foam at the mouth a bit.

This time severe convulsions, locked jaw and throat. We had a running hose to flush and douse her mouth and try to get water down her throat . Took over two hours to see her start to pull around a bit and another hour before her throat was relaxed enough to vomit.

A horrible  experience to nearly lose a dog that is family to us. 

• Like 2
Kreole

I have been wondering about Cane toads since we have a lot of toads here on Siquijor.  They eat the dog food and climb into the water bucket and my dogs are afraid of them.  I particularly do not like them because they piss in the water bucket so I throw them down on the beach below my cottage.  Otherwise they are no problem.  I do not know if they are Cane toads or indigenous toads.

JonnyBravo

I’ve ran into toads quite a bit in Guam. I have a pretty smart rat terrier Chihuahua mix. However, he has never learned his lesson with these toads. First encounter he was paralyzed and couldn’t move. He ate a sun baked toad I wasn’t aware of and rushed him to the vet. Cost about $240 for that fiasco. Second time heard my dog barking for a while and went to the yard to see what the commotion was about. He had a toad in his mouth. Foaming and barking. It was a Sunday and most places were closed. I got ahold of the vet by phone and he told me to try and rinse the poison out of his mouth and don’t rinse water down his throat. I did that for a while, maybe 5 minutes. I was suppose to do it for at least 20 minutes, anyone have experience trying to rinse poison out of a small dogs mouth with a garden hose? Fun times. Anyways cleaned him up the best I could and waited to see if he survived. He pulled through. Third time, I heard barking again. Run out there and see him barking at a toad and foaming. He must’ve gotten ahold of it at some point. Rinsed his mouth again. He was fine right after. Forth time, same as before. But the dog picked up Immunity to the poison because nothing really happened.

These toads must’ve killed 4 or 5 dogs in my neighborhood since I lived there for 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
BossHog
On 5/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, hyaku said:

cane toad

Invasive species. Good practice with a .22 at happy hour. They explode when shot.

But have good eyesight you don't want to mistake it for

Polypedates leucomystax -

They're smaller sized and distinguished by their white moustache hence the species name  leucomystax.

But shoot the cane toads all you want. Keeps us busy with rifles at happy hour. Just know what you're shooting at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
HeyMike

Some_image.width-1600.1c0c195.thumb.jpg.a6109627ceb846619cb3cb78d6883805.jpg2109777499_CT2adultlabelsNSWDPIbrochure.thumb.jpg.f3abc43db7af5e45ea5c6fb525be7f69.jpg

• Thanks 1
hyaku
On 5/6/2020 at 10:17 AM, BossHog said:

Invasive species. Good practice with a .22 at happy hour. They explode when shot.

But have good eyesight you don't want to mistake it for

Polypedates leucomystax -

They're smaller sized and distinguished by their white moustache hence the species name  leucomystax.

But shoot the cane toads all you want. Keeps us busy with rifles at happy hour. Just know what you're shooting at. 

As I said the dog nearly died. Poison slathered all over the toads back. As big as a kitten. Prod them and it starts to exude. Hundreds up here in jungle. The one you mention Polypedates leucomystax. In 2016 they actually found a rare white variety here. Not an albino either. 

• Like 1
Jess Bartone

I read that a few animals in Australia such as hawks and crows have learnt to flip the toads over and eat their way in from the belly, and have been observed teaching their fledglings the behaviour, but some have tolerance to the poison and eat the whole thing.

ABC article will tell it better.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-11-01/cane-toad-native-animals-eating/11649498

to_dave007

Didn't see many live ones.. but lots of dead ones on the road through the cane fields.  Every morning brings new ones.