US approves P269 million COVID-19 aid to PH

Soupeod

Soupeod

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/4/22/US-donates-to-PH-after-Duterte-Trump-phone-call.html

US approves P269-M COVID-19 aid to PH after Trump's phone call to Duterte

By Currie Cator, CNN Philippines

Published Apr 22, 2020 4:19:10 PM

spacer.png

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 22) — The United States has approved an additional P269 million (or $5.3 million) in health and humanitarian assistance for the Philippines' fight against COVID-19, after the chief executives of both countries engaged in a phone meeting to discuss coronavirus response.

The American Embassy in Manila announced Wednesday that the U.S. government has increased its donations to the country to provide for laboratory and specimen-transport systems, and to help health professionals enhance case-finding and disease surveillance.

The funding will also aid Filipino and international technical experts in risk communication, infection prevention and control efforts, hand washing and hygiene promotion, and community-level preparedness response, it added.

U.S. President Donald Trump and President Rodrigo Duterte spoke over the phone on April 19 to discuss bilateral cooperation on COVID-19 response.

During their phone conversation, Trump expressed solidarity and offered additional assistance, as the Philippines continues to address the health and economic damages brought by the deadly virus. He also shared his condolences over the death of 11 Filipino soldiers recently killed in a clash with the Abu Sayyaf Group.

Trump and Duterte also talked about how they can strengthen their countries' economic, cultural, and security ties.

The two leaders agreed to continue working together as long-time allies to "defeat the [coronavirus] pandemic, save lives, and restore global economic strength."

The U.S. previously donated ₱203 million (or $4 million) and 1,300 cots for the country's medical frontliners and COVID-19 patients.

Over the past 20 years, it has already invested more than $4.5 billion to the Philippines, including $582 million for the local public health system.

• Thanks 4
raytech

I thought Duterte wanted nothing more from the US. How much will China donate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
lamoe
22 minutes ago, raytech said:

24 billion -  that's what's promised :showing-ass:

Do those immortal words "Just trust me" come to mind?:ROFLMAO:

• Like 3
battleborn

I think it just a statement that who ever is at the head of your government the U.S. will always  support the people of the Philippines.

• Like 3
lamoe

That statement has been true in the past, but now with Trump - a businessman with a "get what you paid for" attitude?

We will see who the RP wants to be beholding to. If it's China LOL - (lots of luck)

• Administrator
Dafey
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

24 billion -  that's what's promised :showing-ass:

That's for upgrading the Spratly's, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
wondersailor
7 hours ago, raytech said:

They gave us the virus what more do you want????? Some people are never satisfied

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
liquido

I just hope the money gets in the right hands...I wonder if we still have to think about applying for a visa before we attempt to come to the RP?

Edited by liquido
  • Like 2