COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

JohnSurrey
On 4/7/2020 at 6:23 AM, Dafey said:

@JohnSurrey, From your chart above there is only 1 confirmed case in western V and thats in Samar. I'd say so far we are pretty lucky

Vergeire made the clarification in response to comments that the percentage rates she earlier mentioned do not tally with the number of Covid-19 cases reflected in the department's (Covid-19) tracker.

"We have been explaining that our nCov tracker is suffering from technical issues, down ang ating system hindi napi-pick up ang ating resulta (our system is down and it cannot pick up results) that's why we have decided to present in our presser," she said.

The DOH, she said, cannot conclude yet whether the number of Covid-19 cases in the country is either increasing or decreasing because the country is still in the early stages of extending its capacity on the testing of Covid-19 cases.

Question was - how they jumped, in one day, from 5000 tested to 23,000 (shown on worldometer etc) tested when they only have capacity to process 500-1000 tests per day...

And leading on from that... if those figures are no good... what about the others they are putting out?

Very much like some of the figures included by other countries on the Worldometer... rubbish.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Posted Images

smokey
3 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Better late than never I guess!

Yesterday there were 2 handouts given - not dropped off at each house - Instead people were asked to line up at the local chapel???

Anyway;

2 kg rice, 2 cans sardines, 2 noodles - per plastic bag - So if you were lucky (and included on the "in need" or "in family" lists) you got two bags!

Our neighbor who took part in sending out the government received packs (including the coffee etc) the previous week couldn't understand why it was taking so long to hand them out to the people here... now we know - just like Yolanda - skimmed off and repacked.

Well i was reading in manila the list given in one bg.  Had 29 families listed as living one house.   I saw that here seems counter to the virus lets have everyone assembled in one place

Edited by smokey
mikewright

Interesting item in Dr Campbell's update recently about the implications of Dr Fauci's statement that up to 50% of coronavirus victims may show no symptoms.

Dr Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, has provided an estimate  that “somewhere between 25% and 50%” of people infected with the new coronavirus may never show symptoms or fall ill – but can still transmit the illness to others.

'Between 25% and 50%' of people who get the coronavirus may show no symptoms but still be contagious, Anthony Fauci said. Here's the latest research on asymptomatic carriers.

Aylin Woodward

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-carriers-transmit-without-symptoms-what-to-know-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1
Irenicus
On 4/7/2020 at 2:56 PM, Headshot said:

Just know that the gist is that China is lying through their teeth ... like they do about just about everything.

Yeah, and the White House knew about the outbreak as far back as November.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

• Like 1
mikewright
57 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

If it were true that America’s spy agencies were caught that off guard, one intelligence official told ABC News, "that would be a massive intel failure on the order of 9/11. But it wasn’t. They had the intelligence.

Whether it was an intelligence failure in the White House or an intel failure by the US spy agencies, the result was the same.

Hard to believe that people are blaming their country's problem on China on the basis that they were relying on information from the CCP. Certainly China's neighbors were not that naive.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1
Headshot
On 4/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, JohnSurrey said:

Without wishing to downplay the seriousness of this virus... don't you think between 308 million and 385 million is a little ott?

I guess we won't know until the pandemic is actually over. However, it looks to me like too many people are hoping for a miracle (Don't worry. Almost everyone has already been infected ... or science will save us from dying.). The Spanish Flu pandemic lasted three years and swept the world in waves. We have no idea how long this pandemic will last. There were a lot less people on Earth in 1918, and the Spanish Flu killed between 50 and 100 million people (just like today, they had problems counting).

There are good ways to slow down the virus, and it is even possible to beat the virus (provided you are treated early and properly), but it is unlikely that we will completely stop the virus. Unfortunately, there are still too many people in the world who think that wearing a mask, frequent sanitation measures and social distancing (BTW, that DOESN'T have to mean shutting everything down) are stupid. In addition, a large portion of the world's population lives in places where the healthcare systems are easily overwhelmed. Many countries have taken no precautions at all. For those groups, the infection rate will continue to rise and the CFR will rise even higher.

I hope that you are right. I fear that you are not.

Edited by Headshot
JohnSurrey
39 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I hope that you are right. I fear that you are not.

I have faith in mankind... and technology has moved on a bit since 1918 and the Spanish Flu :D

user333

Rabies caused 282 deaths in the Philippines in 2018. 

Other arthropod-borne viral fevers and viral haemorrhagic fevers caused 2,080 deaths. 

These come from rats, ticks, or mosquitoes and disrupt the human body's ability to regulate itself. The virus usually affects blood vessels.  

Meningitis caused 1,079 deaths. It affects the brain and spinal cord. It doesn't list whether it was bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic.  Viral meningitis is the most common but less severe than bacterial meningitis. 

https://psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/attachments/crd/specialrelease/2018 Death Statistical Tables.xlsx

The data is listed in Table 5 

If that Excel file doesn't work, you can find it at the bottom of https://psa.gov.ph/content/registered-deaths-philippines-2018 

mikewright

First flight in months from coronavirus-hit Wuhan lands in Sydney carrying masks, gowns and ventilators

A freight flight from the city where the deadly coronavirus first appeared has arrived in Sydney, carrying 90 tonnes of protective masks, gowns and ventilators.

Key points:

• The cargo plane is carrying 90 tonnes of personal protective equipment and ventilators
  • It is the first flight to land in Sydney from Wuhan since late January

Thousands have died in Wuhan and Hubei province from coronavirus

Tough restrictions on travel in and out of Wuhan, China were only lifted in the last 24 hours, and the city's airport whirred back into action along with many other transport hubs in Hubei province.

The cargo flight, operated by Chinese carrier Suparna Airlines, arrived in Sydney after 9:00pm on Wednesday, and is the first flight from Wuhan to land at Australia's busiest airport since late January.

wuhan-flight-lands-sydney-medical-equipment-coronavirus-covid19/12135016

jaybee747

Ok.... Number of CV19 deaths in Philippines since March 09 - 182, average less than 6 deaths per day... Shutting the entire country for this? Complete overreaction in my opinion.

TequilaSunset

I'm shocked...

Much lower and if 60k is correct, less than the flu in 2017 . Stay safe in your places out there.

a4e0fb2fd04079d7a512ca08f7419612.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TequilaSunset
We just got our 'care' package today. Of course we gave it to some needy neighbors.
Future wife is telling me lots of places are getting screwed over. Some barangays are getting zip, nada, some are promised rice, canned goods and pesos, and getting smelly rice only. Some are getting taken care of very well. I really feel for those people

• Like 1
Sibonga Simon
6 hours ago, jaybee747 said:

Ok.... Number of CV19 deaths in Philippines since March 09 - 182, average less than 6 deaths per day... Shutting the entire country for this? Complete overreaction in my opinion.

Or conversely shutting the country down has kept the average down to just 6 deaths per day.......

• Like 6
TequilaSunset
For anybody wanting to cite US influenza death statistics, you should remember that the US CDC does NOT actually track flu deaths. Their estimates (that's right, their numbers are only estimates) are based on computer models, not on actual death records. Knowing how poorly US government agencies do with climate models in reflecting reality, why would anybody assume they would do any better on reflecting actual flu deaths? From a CDC report on Influenza...
CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm#deaths

And now with multiple morbidity, if you have the virus they will skew the numbers higher, cuz they are automatically claiming it's the virus. When my dad died he started with prostate cancer. He developed heart problems, then liver, lung, and finally bone cancer. Prostrate got the win, despite bone being the take down. First and foremost got the credit.

• Like 2