COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

On 2/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, wondersailor said:

Public health trumps all right and freedoms.

I'd fight you if you take away my burgers and fries.  :baseballbat:

15 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

4K Filipino crew members to arrive in PH amid Covid-19 crisis

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora March 28, 2020, 7:31 pm

MANILA – Over 4,000 Filipinos are set to arrive home in the next three weeks as cruise lines bear the brunt coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) crisis.

"4000+ repatriated Filipino crew to arrive in the next three weeks. 530 from Costa (Favolosa) and Costa Magica arrive tomorrow," Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Jr. said Saturday in a tweet.

He, however, noted concerns on the scheduled repatriation with the need to quarantine the arriving Filipinos and the number of available facilities to accommodate them.

In a series of tweets, Locsin said "while DOT (Department of Tourism) has a list of accommodations, the OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) of DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment) must approve the items in the list; however, OWWA says it cannot approve the DOT list unless the DOH first approves the list. The DOH says that the rooms must qualify as individual isolation wards with room service so there is no mingling just in case some are Covid."

Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Eduardo Menez said the New Clark City "still has the Grand Princess crew" who are currently under quarantine after their arrival in the Philippines on March 16.

"There is a selection and clearing process that is overseen by the DOH (Department of Health) in coordination with the manning agency. There are several considerations taken into account," he noted.

Meanwhile, the DOT said it will assist the OWWA in finding accommodations for repatriated overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), citing that "distressed OFWs" is qualified to be billeted by hotels and similar establishments operating during the enhanced community quarantine.

The said establishments, however, must abide by the conditions for room occupancy, as coordinated with the DOH and approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), which directs that "OFWs and Health Workers shall be accommodated in single occupancy rooms. Only one person shall be accommodated in each room". (PNA).

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1098142

These geniuses at work. <_<

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Evangeline Lilly Chooses Not to Self-Isolate Because She Values “Freedom”

By Princess Weekes Mar 19th, 2020, 4:43 pm

evangeline-lilly.jpg

Evangeline Lilly, who played the worst character in The Hobbit, decided to get on social media and expose herself as one of the people who is prioritizing her own comforts rather than taking the advice of medical professionals when it comes to the coronavirus.

Lilly, a mother of two, posted an image of some tear with a caption stating that she’d just “dropped [her] kids off at gymnastics camp. They all washed their hands before going in. They are playing and laughing” with the hashtag #businessasusual. Yikes.

Capture.JPG

People, rightfully so, called Lilly out for sending her children out, because even if they do wash their hands, it doesn’t mean they can’t be exposed when going to a camp with other sneezing and coughing children. Also, her family is currently living with her father, who has stage 4 leukemia and is, therefore, very compromised.

“I am also immune compromised at the moment,” she said when called out by a commenter. “I have two young kids. Some people value their lives over freedom, some people value freedom over their lives. We all make our choices.”

Wow, that’s … that’s a yikes, but it got worse when she responded to another person, saying,

Where we are right now feels a lot too close to Marshall Law [sic] for my comfort already, all in the name of a respiratory flu. It’s unnerving…Let’s be vigilant right now. And kind. Watchful and gracious — keeping a close eye on our leaders, making sure they don’t abuse this moment to steal away more freedoms and grab more power.

The problem with statements like these is that it’s what people in the “real world” think, as well. I was taking an Uber home recently, and my driver was a QAnon believer who played conspiracy videos during our ride as she explained to me about how it was all an attempt by the government to lead us into, quote, “communism or a dictatorship.”

We have a lot of misinformation, mistrust of government, and other issues that we don’t need more celebrities feeding into that sea of bullshit.

Lilly may be anti-isolation for mental health reasons, and as someone who is currently really, really struggling within her four walls, I certainly get it, but that’s not an excuse. None of us want to do this. We are not self-quarantining, stocking up on toilet paper, and avoiding much-needed in-person companionship because it’s fun. It’s because we’re dealing with a pandemic that has already claimed thousands of lives internationally and is now within our own borders.

Plus, Hera forbid that she does actually get sick, Lilly will be able to get care for herself and those in her family. Other people are not as lucky, and that’s what we are trying to deal with. I do value my freedom, but I don’t value my freedom so much that I don’t do what I can to make sure we flatten the curve to help those most vulnerable.

https://www.themarysue.com/evangeline-lilly-will-not-self-quarantine-values-freedom-gurl-bye

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
Kahuna

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Comparison update from yesterday to now

720,480 total

33,917 deaths

150,918 recoveries

The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 199 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances: the Diamond Princess cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan, and the Holland America's MS Zaandam cruise ship. 

Latest Updates

March 29 (GMT)

17591 new cases and 238 new deaths in the United States

Among the deaths: a 42-year-old woman in Arkansas with no pre-existing health condition (and who had never been hospitalized before, according to her sister) who felt "a little sick" on March 15 and thought it to be a cold or a sinus infection. After developing shortness of breath and cough that wouldn't go away, she was admitted to the hospital on March 24 and tested positive to Covid-19. She was put on a ventilator in ICU and, after 4 days (on Saturday, March 28), she died. [source]

4400 new cases and 100 new deaths in Germany [source]

528 new cases and 3 new deaths in Australia [source] [source] [source] [source]

269 new cases and 2 new deaths in Norway [source]

5 new cases in Ethiopia [source]

5 new cases in the State of Palestine [source]

101 new cases and 10 new deaths in Ecuador [source]

15 new cases and 2 new deaths in Honduras [source] [source]

517 new cases and 18 new deaths in Austria [source] [source]

625 new cases and 5 new deaths in Canada [source]

186 new cases and 5 new deaths in Czechia [source] [source]

3 new cases in Monaco [source] [source]

10 new cases in Rwanda [source]

6 new cases in Saint Lucia [source]

3 new cases in Paraguay [source]

4 new cases and 2 new deaths in Guadeloupe [source]

7 new cases in Barbados [source]

6875 new cases and 821 new deaths in Spain. Total cases surpass 80,000 [source] [source]

119 new cases and 1 new death in Ukraine [source] [source]

48 new cases and 4 new deaths in Cameroon [source]

57 new cases in Iceland [source]

14 new cases in Nigeria [source]

2 new cases in Trinidad and Tobago [source]

11 new cases and 1 new death in Channel Islands [source]

77 new cases and 1 new death in Morocco [source]

64 new cases and 1 new death in Côte d'Ivoire. 1st death in the country [source]

13 new cases and 2 new deaths in Jordan [source] [source]

6 new cases in Eritrea [source]

102 new cases and 2 new deaths in Pakistan [source]

5 new cases and 1 new death in Mauritius [source] [source]

352 new cases and 22 new deaths in Brazil, a 26-year-old man died in São Paulo [source]

363 new cases and 6 new deaths in Romania. Deaths include::

- a 66-year-old man
- a 71-year-old man who had a tumor and had returned from Austria
- a 27-year-old man who had Type I diabetes  [source] [source] [source] [source]

1 new case in Gambia [source]

19 new cases in Costa Rica [source]

94 new cases and 4 new deaths in Colombia [source]

3 new cases in Uganda [source]

56 new cases in Kazakhstan [source]

4 new cases in Djibouti [source]

1 new case in Maldives [source]

93 new cases and 1 new death in South Africa [source]

34 new cases in Tunisia [source]

33 new cases and 4 new deaths in Egypt [source]

4 new cases in Aruba [source]

628 new cases and 3 new deaths in Israel: a 92-year-old man [source]

66 new cases in Lithuania [source]

224 new cases and 4 new deaths in Poland: a 75-year-old man and an 82-year-old man with underlying health issues [source]

173 new cases and 2 new deaths in Japan [source]

15 new cases and 1 new death in Burkina Faso [source]

2 new cases and 2 new deaths in Angola [source] [source]

2599 new cases and 292 new deaths in France [source] [source]

44 new cases in Qatar [source]

37 new cases and 3 new deaths in India [source]

181 new cases and 2 new deaths in Peru [source]

102 new cases and 1 new death in the United Arab Emirates [source] [source]

9 new cases in Gibraltar [source]

1 new case in Sudan [source]

200 new cases and 10 new deaths in Ireland [source]

57 new cases and 2 new deaths in Algeria [source]

14 new cases in Vietnam [source]

20 new cases in Cuba [source]

40 new cases in Uzbekistan [source]

2 new cases in Myanmar [source]

1815 new cases and 23 new deaths in Turkey [source]

1104 new cases and 132 new deaths in the Netherlands [source]

1 new case in Bahamas [source]

230 new cases and 1 new death in Chile [source]

5217 new cases and 756 new deaths in Italy

32 new cases in Moldova [source]

4 new cases and 1 new death in Syria [source] [source] [source]

150 new cases and 8 new deaths in Malaysia [source]

119 new cases and 3 new deaths in Luxembourg [source]

1 new case in Georgia [source]

10 new cases in Isle of Man [source]

7 new cases and 1 new death in Bolivia, a 78-year-old woman [source]

5 new cases in Libya [source]

4 new cases in Kenya [source]

95 new cases and 6 new deaths in Greece [source]

35 new cases in Cyprus [source]

4 new cases in Sri Lanka [source]

753 new cases and 36 new deaths in Switzerland [source]

73 new cases and 2 new deaths in Finland [source]

15 new cases and 1 new death in Bulgaria: a 51-year-old woman [source] [source]

140 new cases and 11 new deaths in the Dominican Republic [source]

1 new case in Zambia [source]

27 new cases in Azerbaijan [source]

2433 new cases and 209 new deaths in the United Kingdom [source]

26 new cases and 3 new deaths in Andorra [source]

2 new cases in Malta [source]

1 new case in Montenegro [source]

11 new cases in Ghana [source]

18 new cases and 2 new deaths in the Republic of North Macedonia [source]

82 new cases and 3 new deaths in Serbia [source]

96 new cases and 4 new deaths in Saudi Arabia [source] [source]

15 new cases in Congo [source]

42 new cases and 1 new death in Singapore, a 70-year-old man with no travel history  [source]

253 new cases and 5 new deaths in Sweden [source]

194 new cases and 7 new deaths in Denmark [source]

3 new cases in China, Macao SAR [source]

56 new cases and 1 new death in Croatia [source]

10 new cases in Afghanistan [source]

8 new cases in Guinea [source] [source]

81 new cases in China, Hong Kong SAR [source]

5 new cases in Bermuda [source]

792 new cases and 19 new deaths in Portugal [source]

15 new cases in Taiwan [source]

23 new cases in Bahrain [source]

12 new cases in Senegal [source]

39 new cases in Ivory Coast [source]

20 new cases in Kuwait [source]

2901 new cases and 123 new deaths in Iran [source]

22 new cases in Slovakia [source]

6 new cases in Brunei Darussalam [source]

26 new cases and 2 new deaths in Lebanon [source]

41 new cases in Iraq [source]

15 new cases in Albania [source]

46 new cases and 2 new deaths in Slovenia [source]

34 new cases and 2 new deaths in Estonia: a 90-year-old man and an 83-year-old man [source]

45 new cases in Bosnia and Herzegovina [source]

8 new cases in Niger [source]

343 new cases and 3 new deaths in the Philippines [source]

1702 new cases and 78 new deaths in Belgium [source]

3 new cases in Namibia [source]

130 new cases and 12 new deaths in Indonesia [source]

270 new cases and 4 new deaths in Russia [source]

4 new cases in Faeroe Islands [source]

15 new cases in Oman [source]

42 new cases in Latvia [source]

17 new cases and 2 new deaths in Armenia: a 55-year-old woman and a 73-year-old man [source] [source]

143 new cases and 1 new death in Thailand: a 68-year-old man who had attended a boxing match in Bangkok and came in contact with positive cases [source]

26 new cases in Kyrgyzstan [source]

13 new cases in Madagascar [source]

5 new cases in El Salvador [source]

65 new cases and 2 new deaths in Hungary [source]

2 new cases in Grenada [source]

1 new case in Bhutan [source]

7 new cases in Haiti [source]

4 new cases in Cambodia [source]

105 new cases and 8 new deaths in South Korea [source]

2 new cases in Jamaica [source]

131 new cases and 4 new deaths in Mexico [source]

45 new cases (of which 44 imported) 5 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 477 new recoveries occurred in China on March 28, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China [source] 

Kreole

The worst part is that Spain in not a 3rd world country.  I can't imagine being told to kill the elderly.  If they institute that in the US, I can only hope that all the politicians and elite and corporate leaders, the great majority of whom are over 65 who get the virus, would be afforded the same treatment.  At 72, I have no intention of dying in a hospital.  My preference has always been to die with dignity, alone, with such a generous life behind me.

• Like 2
JohnSurrey

Spent some of the best years of my life in Spain - great for golf sand and sea, food, culture and countryside - beautiful place - it's not 3rd world but the tourism and agriculture are seasonal and cover a big unemployment problem there.

Rationing healthcare resources by age used to happen in the UK (until I think they changed the law to stop it) - probably will happen again if they cannot get the ventilators in time... I guess it will happen in the US too.

So what do you do - first come first served, first in first out or last in last out...

The sad part for all of us is it's just like Bill Gates said - we're not prepared and if we (our governments) had only spent a fraction of the amount of money they spend each year on Weapons etc. we would or could have been.

Take the bastards outside and shoot em.

• Administrator
Dafey

The sky isn't falling, they are just catching up in the smaller cities to Luzon. Tests being readily available is a good thing. Once they identify the positive cases they can quarantine them and isolate any that have been in contact with them. Part of the process

Surge in COVID-19 cases due to increase in testing kits available

Malacañang on Sunday clarified that the jump in confirmed cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) was due to the additional supply of testing kits, as it belied claims that the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is ineffective in flattening the curve.

"As the manufacture and supply of testing kits become available, plus the establishment of additional COVID-19 testing centers, there are more people being tested nor than before, necessarily the hitherto unknown cases of COVID-19 have surfaced hence the galloping increase in number," presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

The statement was issued on the same day that the Department of Health reported that the number of COVID-19 cases has risen to 1,418, of which 71 people died.

This is a substantial jump from the 187 cases recorded on March 17, 2020, the start of the ECQ which will last until April 13, 2020, effectively restricting travel within the region.

"As we have previously stated, the reason for a few reported cases of confirmed cases two weeks ago was because there was a lack of testing kits to ascertain the number of those afflicted with the disease," said Panelo.

"Had the enhanced community quarantine or partial lockdown not been imposed, the number of the COVID-19 cases could have been staggering, for the simple reason that with unrestricted movement of the population, with each individual being a potential carrier, the coronavirus would have an untrammelled leap-frogging from one person to another," he elaborated.

Preliminary data available, however, indicates that the Philippines lags behind its Southeast Asian peers in terms of the number of COVID-19 tests conducted.

"The once inadequate supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) that cost the lives of nine of our doctors and placed others in critical condition have been addressed at, as donations of PPEs (i.e., surgical masks, head gears, face shields, goggles, gloves, protective gowns and foot covers) coming from many sources have poured in even as their local production is in full swing from our garments manufacturers and local fashion designers," said Panelo.

"Medical supplies, alcohol, soap and other health items are coming in too from various donors, individuals and privates entities. The Bayanihan spirit has caught fire and everyone is chipping in a united front against this unseen deadly enemy," he added. — RSJ, GMA News

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/palace-surge-in-covid-19-cases-due-to-increase-in-testing-kits-available/ar-BB11RKI7?ocid=spartandhp

• Thanks 3
fivestarph
27 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

The website https://passapp.ph/registrations_page is now working and you can register.

Seems you need to download the app also, so you can show it at checkpoints.

I wonder if one is 65+ and applies whether it would issue a pass?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

I wonder if one is 65+ and applies whether it would issue a pass?

Not in Cebu province or Cebu City, I bn asking for my brother.

• Like 3
lamoe

"Dad bans son from house after he went on spring break trip amidst coronavirus pandemic" :dance2:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/dad-spring-break-coronavirus-banned-house

Dad bans son from house after he went on spring break trip amidst coronavirus pandemic

Looks like the party’s definitely over.

A father in New York reportedly banned his son from the family home after the college student went on a spring break trip amidst the coronavirus pandemic. According to the father, it’s just too risky.

“I spoke with (my son) every day (on his trip) and told him that maybe they should come home,” Peter Levine told the New York Post. “I was aggravated. The news here was getting worse and worse. Matt sent me pictures of him and his friends congregating outdoors and listening to live music. It’s the scene you would not want to be in.” (iStock)

Peter Levine, from Nanuet, N.Y., advised his 21-year-old son Matt against going to South Padre Island in Texas for Spring Break, the New York Post reports. While on the trip, Matt reportedly sent his father pictures showing him in situations that could have exposed him to the virus.

“I spoke with him every day and told him that maybe they should come home,” Peter told the New York Post. “I was aggravated. The news here was getting worse and worse. Matt sent me pictures of him and his friends congregating outdoors and listening to live music. It’s the scene you would not want to be in.”

Matt and his friends apparently had trouble getting home amidst the pandemic. Their return flight to New York was reportedly rerouted to Tennessee after reports of a coronavirus case at LaGuardia.

When Matt finally made it back to his father's house, he apparently found his car full of groceries.

“His grandparents live here and there is no need to expose them to god knows what he had been exposed to,” Peter explained.

Matt ultimately returned to his off-campus apartment near Springfield College in Massachusetts (which has closed campus due to the outbreak), but his lease ends in June, the New York Post reports. After that, his father isn’t sure where he’ll end up after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Jim_in_Jax

We haven't heard from our Barangay officials yet.  We went out today to go get some money from the bank and saw unmanned checkpoints in many places in Barangay Tisa.  We were unable to get money because the bank had closed.  We got there a couple minutes past 2 pm.  We're going to have an issue like someone else mentioned.

I am the only one that can pick up our money transfer from the bank.  I'm the only one that drives.  My wife is the only one that shops.  The store is too far for her to walk in the heat with no public transportation.  We're going out in the morning and see if we can get to the bank at Seaside Mall without encountering a checkpoint that stops us.

• Like 1
to_dave007
19 minutes ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

We haven't heard from our Barangay officials yet.  We went out today to go get some money from the bank and saw unmanned checkpoints in many places in Barangay Tisa.  We were unable to get money because the bank had closed.  We got there a couple minutes past 2 pm.  We're going to have an issue like someone else mentioned.

I am the only one that can pick up our money transfer from the bank.  I'm the only one that drives.  My wife is the only one that shops.  The store is too far for her to walk in the heat with no public transportation.  We're going out in the morning and see if we can get to the bank at Seaside Mall without encountering a checkpoint that stops us.

Similar issue for me in Tuburan.  Need to get to the HSBC in City for over the counter transaction.  Wife can't drive.  Will try AGAIN to see if I can do what I need by phone tomorrow (failed at it today), but if not then I'll need to go to city to get cash.  It's not an issue today..  but I'd rather get it done NOW than wait another 3 to 4 weeks which SHOULD be just about the worst time to go.

• Like 1
fivestarph
4 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Similar issue for me in Tuburan.  Need to get to the HSBC in City for over the counter transaction.  Wife can't drive.  Will try AGAIN to see if I can do what I need by phone tomorrow (failed at it today), but if not then I'll need to go to city to get cash.  It's not an issue today..  but I'd rather get it done NOW than wait another 3 to 4 weeks which SHOULD be just about the worst time to go.

Asked HSBC about over the counter transactions and got the impression none.

if you wish to withdraw  use ATM, if deposit use the easypay machine.

if you wish to change 1,000 notes to smaller through the grill next to ATMs.

I may be totally wrong..