COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

lamoe

Given the inter-family relationships here , that must be the reason the habal-habals haven't decreased on the side of the LEX

Edited by lamoe
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Posted Images

lamoe

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241297121.html

People with type A blood are more likely to catch coronavirus and die from it, according to a new study published in Wuhan, China.

Type A is one of the most common blood types, but scientists urged people not to be concerned if they have type A.

Those with type O blood may be less likely to get COVID-19, which has infected more than 200,000 people worldwide, according to a Johns Hopkins University map that tracks confirmed cases.

“If you are type A, there is no need to panic. It does not mean you will be infected 100 percent,” researcher Gao Yingdai told the South China Morning Post. “If you are type O, it does not mean you are absolutely safe, either. You still need to wash your hands and follow the guidelines issued by authorities.”

Researchers compared more than 2,100 confirmed coronavirus cases in China against more than 3,600 healthy Wuhan residents. While 31 percent of Wuhan residents have type A blood, more than 37 percent of surveyed patients had the blood type.

Around 40 percent of United States residents have type A blood, according to the San Diego Blood Bank. More than 45 percent have Type O blood, the website shows.

The same Chinese study showed 25 percent of surveyed cases had type O blood, despite more than 33 percent of the population having that type of blood.

The study examined 206 people in Wuhan who died from the virus and there were 63 percent more type A fatal cases than type O.

“People with blood group A might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection,” researchers said in their study.

The study did not provide an explanation for why type A patients have a higher risk for coronavirus.

The American Red Cross said it is facing “a severe blood shortage due to an unprecedented number of blood drive cancellations.” The Red Cross has implemented extra safety precautions at blood drive centers.

More than 8,200 people have died worldwide from COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins.

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
6 minutes ago, lamoe said:

People with type A blood are more likely to catch coronavirus and die from it, according to a new study published in Wuhan, China.

Subscribe to less is more?

lamoe
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Subscribe to less is more?

Thanks - was looking at other site  before re-proof reading

• Like 1
user333

2 hours ago, lamoe said:

I've read all your posts, I must not be one of the smart ones since I am confused as to your position on this issue.

"Do very little and let it run it's course" (Spanish Flu - H1N1) or "use modern methods" (Swine Flu - also H1N1) that have proven to mitigate its spread until a vaccine is developed? I.E. separation of infected /possibly infected and non-infected as much as possible is the most effective prevention.

You must have missed this post: "The reason I'm posting these statistics is to compare this deadly virus with similar deadly virus that impact the Philippines."

Edited by user333
lamoe
7 minutes ago, user333 said:

You must have missed this post: "The reason I'm posting these statistics is to compare this deadly virus with similar deadly virus that impact the Philippines."

OK but that doesn't address - the intervene or let nature run its course question.

• Like 1
user333
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

I get it...it's survival of the fittest? Great plan. Feck the old and feeble, the world will be better off without them. I'm tired of paying to keep them breathing anyway. Besides, they are only dead weight!

I'm guessing you don't vaccinate your kids either? When they get polio you just tell them to walk it off?

You're entitled to your opinion but I've never said that nor do I agree with that. I don't vaccinate my kids because I don't have any. If you want to start a thread about whether to vaccinate children or not, it'd be good to start a new thread. This thread is about deaths caused by viruses in the Philippines.  

user333
3 hours ago, lamoe said:

OK but that doesn't address - the intervene or let nature run its course question.

Why are you forcing me to pick one or the other? A government can attempt do some things to intervene, but like other viruses, this one will run its course. 

You analysis of "do very little" shows some glaring discrepancies with your understanding of the Spanish Flu and H1N1. In 1918, some cities did very little but a lot more urged their citizens to wear masks, they closed schools and public events, and they required citizens to limit their social interactions. Did that contain the influenza virus? Nope! You would have thought that they learned their lesson on the first wave, but it came back two more times and they still didn't learn. Trying to contain people requires them to actually comply. This will never work. Was H1N1 eliminated off the face of the Earth due to "modern methods". No. It has popped up every year since 2009. Was the swine flu pandemic cured by vaccines? No. By the time the first vaccine had been shipped, the swine flu had already hit its peak and was on the decline. Washing your hands with soap is a great way to kill viruses! In 1918, they were not implementing this.   

For all the users that have tried to put words in mouth and have failed to understand the facts, I gift to you the Jump to Conclusion mat. You can create your own conclusions about things and then JUMP to them! 

Jump-to-Conclusions-Game-Wins-Funding-On-Shark-Tank.thumb.jpg.64509cb6b737146e00eaa1f3dcb9dfb9.jpg

Headshot
7 hours ago, lamoe said:

The same Chinese study showed 25 percent of surveyed cases had type O blood, despite more than 33 percent of the population having that type of blood.

Italy has 46% Type O and 42% Type A.  Italy's infection numbers and death numbers are far worse than those admitted to in China.  They also have a higher percentage of people with Type A blood than in China

The blood type stats for China are 48% Type O and 28% Type A, and not 33% Type O as they stated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

This hypothesis could be checked fairly quickly by checking on what blood types were most vulnerable to infection and death due to the Wuhan Coronavirus in Italy. Blood types are not necessarily evenly distributed throughout a country's territory, so the apparent skew in China could be due to a skew in blood types in that specific part of the country where the most cases were located.

Since we don't know the true numbers of infections and deaths in China, or the blood types of all of the deliberately unreported cases and deaths, due to the CCP blockade of all information about the viral outbreak, the percentages of blood types infected could change dramatically if all of the cases and deaths had been reported. I'm not sure that just looking at blood type percentages tells you anything, unless you are looking at a lot of other factors as well.

• Like 1
user333
14 hours ago, Kahuna said:

Your info about the vaccines is incorrect.

Prevention [isolation] has dramatically improved the number of cases in both China and S.Korea.

Since this virus is NEW as well as Deadly..it's the focus of attention and rightly so.   Of course all diseases/viruses should receive the attention this is getting but you know they've been around for a long time in most cases and have had time to grow.As they grew they they sometimes mutated into similar versions of themselves that known vaccines won't touch anymore so it's an ever on going battle that never really stops.

Sounds like you could update your information about what's going on and how it relates to your information.  

Did you actually read AND comprehend those sources you've provided? 
China has only done trials on mice and monkeys and says some are effective. Some of the 8 vaccines are effective? Like 3? What does "effective" mean when referring to a mouse virus? What are the side effects? I can claim that I developed a vaccine but until it's proven, it's just a claim. Still waiting on that human vaccine to be released. There is not enough information in that Pakistani YouTube source to confirm that a vaccine has been proven to work for humans. A lot of groups are trying to develop a vaccine right now.

That Japanese drug is not a vaccine. It is used to treat influenza and China is trying to test it on some of their patients. What are the patients' ages? Are their infections mild or severe?

In the article you provided, it says Japan has done their own testing and "the drug so far has been given to around 70 to 80 people, but that early results suggest it isn’t effective in treating those with more severe symptoms where the virus has already multiplied to a much greater extent."

So it works with milder cases? The article doesn't say! We'll never know. 

I found another article that expressed some concerns about this drug (that has only been approved for the influenza virus). 

"The positive reception in China contrasts with reservations over Avigan in Japan, where the drug obtained regulatory approval in 2014 on condition that it would only be used if the government decided to fight new or re-emerging influenza viruses. Studies found that the drug may cause fetal deaths or deformities, and can be transferred in semen. 

South Korea's ministry of food and drug safety also decided not to import Avigan after infectious disease experts ruled that there was not enough clinical data to prove the drug's efficacy, the country's Yonhap news agency reported this week."

This thread is about viruses and deaths in the Philippines. Your two sources have failed to provide any proof that a vaccine has been developed that could help the Philippines. You have only cited a potential vaccine. 

• Haha 1
lamoe
42 minutes ago, user333 said:

Why are you forcing me to pick one or the other? A government can attempt do some things to intervene, but like other viruses, this one will run its course. 

Because it was a binary solution question

I didn't put words in your mouth - I asked what is your position - not what a country can do -

What do you feel is the best approach?

let nature run its course or attempt to mitigate it's effects

I feel we should do everything we can.

• Like 1