COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

Kahuna
10 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I have not watched all the videos on this subject, so I don't know if the question of the age range of the infected people has been addressed?

It seems like what I am seeing on ANC and reading in the news is that most cases are mid 30's and up.  Seems strange that the common flu attacks the very young and elderly more often in the US.  They are the ones they target for the flu shots annually.

Makes me wonder if this virus was man made of just an unexplained phenomenon..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#age

Age and conditions of Coronavirus cases

According to China's National Health Commission (NHC), about 80% of those who died were over the age of 60 and 75% of them had pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.[24]

According to the WHO Situation Report no. 7 issued on Jan. 27:

The median age of cases detected outside of China is 45 years, ranging from 2 to 74 years.

71% of cases were male.

A study of 138 hospitalized patients with NCIP found that the median age was 56 years (interquartile range, 42-68; range, 22-92 years) and 75 (54.3%) were men.[25]

The WHO, in its Myth busters FAQs, addresses the question: "Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?" by answering that:

People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.

Patient who died in the Philippines was a 44-year old male

The patient who died in the Philippines on February 2, in what was the first death occurring outside of China, was a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan who was admitted on Jan. 25 after experiencing fever, cough, and sore throat, before developing severe pneumonia. In the last few days, “the patient was stable and showed signs of improvement, however, the condition of the patient deteriorated within his last 24 hours resulting in his demise." according to the Philippine Department of Health.

Serious Cases of 30 year old patients in France

As of Jan. 29, according to French authorities, the conditions of the two earliest Paris cases had worsened and the patients were being treated in intensive care, according to French authorities. The patients have been described as a young couple aged 30 and 31 years old, both Chinese citizens from Wuhan who were asymptomatic when they arrived in Paris on January 18 [19].

Age and Sex of the first deaths as reported by the China National Health Commission (NHC)

The NHC reported the details of the first 17 deaths up to 24 pm on January 22, 2020. The deaths included 13 males and 4 females. The median age of the deaths was 75 (range 48-89) years.[21]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Nih bioethics is not a company.  Got it?  Bioethics is a department within the nih.   Fauci heads a separate department.  Got it? Nih doesnt approve drugs for the fda.  Got it?  Drug testing is done b

From an on line Senior's website which I'm a Member  https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/health/covid19/glasses-cut-covid-infections-study? This although not conclusive I found interesting as

Posted Images

Kahuna
9 hours ago, Kahuna said:

Ok..update comparison from 14 hours ago and now

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

37606 total

814 deaths

2966 recovered.

comparison update from 9 hours ago

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

40,234 total

906 deaths

3274 recoveries

jumped up a bit again..

SkyMan

One thing that seems very hopeful to me is that while there are many cases outside of China, there don't seem to be outbreaks in those areas.  Perhaps it's still too early for that but it seems like containment is working.

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

This is disturbing.

New Report on 138 Coronavirus Cases Reveals Disturbing Details

One patient, admitted to a hospital in Wuhan, China, infected at least 10 health care workers and four other patients with the coronavirus that has sickened more than 34,000 people, killed over 720 and reached two dozen other countries.

The case was just one disturbing detail in a new report on 138 patients in Wuhan that helps explain how the illness progresses and how it spreads.

The report, one of two published on Friday by JAMA, is among the most comprehensive articles to date about people infected with the newly identified virus.

The patients ranged in age from 22 to 92, with a median of 56 years, and were admitted to Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University from Jan. 1 to Jan 28. Many of them — 41% — were presumed to have caught the virus in the hospital, including 17 people who had been admitted for other illnesses, and 40 health care workers.

The patient who infected so many health workers had been placed in a surgical ward because of abdominal symptoms, and the coronavirus was not initially suspected. Four other patients in that ward also contracted the disease, presumably from the first patient.

The incident was a chilling reminder of the “super-spreaders” in outbreaks of other coronavirus diseases, SARS and MERS — patients who infected huge numbers of other people, sometimes dozens. The phenomenon is poorly understood and unpredictable, an epidemiologist’s nightmare. Super-spreaders led to considerable transmission of MERS and SARS inside hospitals.

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/report-138-coronavirus-cases-reveals-150259210.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Headshot
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

One thing that seems very hopeful to me is that while there are many cases outside of China, there don't seem to be outbreaks in those areas.  Perhaps it's still too early for that but it seems like containment is working.

You have to remember that they believe that the first human infection in China occurred in the second half of November, but the bodies didn't start piling up until January. I'm guessing that there were deaths prior to January, but they weren't identified as being the result of the 2019-nCov virus. Even now, with the extreme shortage of test kits in China, anybody who dies of lung problems without first testing positive are not listed in the death totals. An example was given where 80 people presented at a hospital with pneumonis symptoms, but the hospital only had 5 test kits. Those 5 tested positive and were admitted to the hospital. The other 75 were sent home and told to "self-isolate" themselves, if possible. Who knows how many of the 75 died, but weren't recorded under the virus.

• Thanks 2
Headshot
4 hours ago, battleborn said:

I have not watched all the videos on this subject, so I don't know if the question of the age range of the infected people has been addressed?

It seems like what I am seeing on ANC and reading in the news is that most cases are mid 30's and up.  Seems strange that the common flu attacks the very young and elderly more often in the US.  They are the ones they target for the flu shots annually.

Makes me wonder if this virus was man made of just an unexplained phenomenon..

I really don't think this is man-made, but it may have been an accidental release by the level 4 biolab in Wuhan, as they were known to have been studying the bat version of the virus before the outbreak. It is very possible that patient 0 was an employee at the lab. You have to remember that they didn't realize the virus was transmittable to humans back in November. The youngest person infected by the virus was a 30-hour-old baby, and the baby's mother was also infected. The oldest person infected was in their mid-90's. About 90% of the deaths from 2019-nCov have been over 50-years-old, with some of those having other chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, hypertension or diabetes, so it is definitely targeting the weak. However, it is possible to be infected by the virus, regardless of your age, and some percentage of those infected will die, but because China has hidden (or just doesn't know) the real numbers of infections and deaths, it is impossible to know what that percentage is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Headshot

This is the article from the Kyodo News...

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/255501851d48-half-of-secondary-virus-infections-occur-in-incubation-period-study.html

Half of secondary virus infections occur in incubation period: study

At least one of every two instances of human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus is believed to occur while the first patient is not yet showing symptoms, according to an estimate by a group of Japanese university researchers.

Based on its determination, the team, headed by Hokkaido University professor Hiroshi Nishiura, has called for preventive measures as well as reinforcing the medical care system against a potential sharp rise in coronavirus patients, rather than focusing exclusively on isolation as a way to contain the disease.

According to the estimate based on 26 human-to-human infection cases released by six countries such as China, Thailand and the United States, the timing of the secondary infection was shorter than previously thought.

Although the average period of incubation for the coronavirus originating from central China is believed to be about five days, the researchers found that second patients in more than half of the 26 human-to-human infection cases under study developed pneumonia symptoms within five days.

The team concluded that these second patients were infected with the virus during its incubation period for the first patients.

"The findings suggest that it is difficult to contain the illness simply by isolation," Nishiura said. "We need to put more emphasis on prevention of infection for people with high risks such as the elderly."

"It is also important to prepare the medical care system so that we will not experience confusion even in the event of a greater number of pneumonia patients," he added.

The number of people with the new coronavirus in mainland China has topped 31,000, with the death toll in the country rising to 636, according to the Chinese government.

Many countries including Japan are struggling to contain the spread of the disease by isolating infected patients.

Edited by Headshot
19 hours ago, Headshot said:

Have you ever heard of Lysol spray? It should be used before you press anything to your face as long as the 2019-nCov virus is around.

I think my wife might take some offence if i tried that.

Update:  wife's colleague tested negative, 16 days out now so seems all is clear.  

On the side of optimism i havent heard of anyone on either of the planes with the chinese couple having become ill.  Dumaguete airport can get a tad crowded, and planes are planes.  So perhaps contagion isnt necessarily a given when near a sicky.

• Like 4
JohnSurrey

Quite a good round up here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/10/coronavirus-live-updates-china-goes-back-to-work-as-cases-exceed-40000-latest-news

Dr Al Edwards, an associate professor at the University of Reading’s School of Pharmacy, said the government is right to declare the coronavirus is a serious and imminent threat to people in the UK.

Edwards said:

The main challenges facing Britain and the wider world are containment, finding everyone infected and stopping the spread, and the treatment of very ill patients, which could easily overwhelm hospitals in any country, however well-developed the health system.

Finding people who have been infected is extremely challenging, but it is essential for containment. We are lucky we do have fairly rapid tests available, based on detecting the virus in patient blood samples, for example. However, these will only work when patient is quite sick. After people get better, or if they have mild infection, the virus can’t be detected.

The current rapid tests are based on detecting the nucleic acid of the virus by measuring RNA. This is the genetic ‘code’ of the virus. When the level of the virus drops in, a patient doesn’t have very much viral RNA. This is good for the patient but makes the virus almost undetectable.

New Philippines update on their PUI 's - up to 261:

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1093432

Not quite sure what all this testing is telling anyone if it only works when the patient is obviously very sick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some items available in Lazada are shipped from China, do you think when people buy these items will also get the coronavirus ?

Edited by PeterC

Just ordered some sanding discs, will let you know how it turns out.  

See:   https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Summary

Currently, the emergence of a novel human coronavirus, temporary named 2019-nCoV, has become a global health concern causing severe respiratory tract infections in humans. Human-to-human transmissions have been described with incubation times between 2-10 days, facilitating its spread via droplets, contaminated hands or surfaces. We therefore reviewed the literature on all available information about the persistence of human and veterinary coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces as well as inactivation strategies with biocidal agents used for chemical disinfection, e.g. in healthcare facilities. The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for 2019-nCoV, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread.

I'll let the maid open the packages.

• Thanks 1