COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

cvgtpc1
11 hours ago, Headshot said:

I hate to break the news, but you can get reinfected with chicken pox virus. The second time it presents as shingles, which is much worse than the childhood variety of chicken pox.

Got the shingles vax several months.  Two shots like covid 60 days apart.  Wife and I had much worse side effects from that than the covid vax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Posted Images

cookie47

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide.

He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was only "unwell" for 3 days.His partner did not not need oxygen at all.They had "Virtual"appointments daily to update the doctor.Told to take Vitamin C and Zinc.One blood test at the point of diagnosis (prior to isolation) found low potassium in his partner.This BTW were people with no vaccinations. (Both in their 30s)..Currently able to move around at home and do light chores...

He has a business but don't know when work can start..... Hope no long term issues..PS .this was in Lapu2....

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 6
Soupeod
9 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Relatives there claim its an automatic P20,000 a day in a hospital if there for covid so nobody went if sick for anything to avoid being tested.  Did you experience anything like that?  

Was 180k total, pretty close. Nose swab 1500p and antigen 5000p. 
Forgot to get my Philhealth done, stupid of me I know. It’s done now, could have saved me a ton.

Added - Forgot to mention, they wouldn’t take my credit card until I was leaving. Had to send my driver to the bank with my bankbook, get a withdrawal slip, brought it to my Asawa who signed for 100k pesos, then he returned to the bank and gave them the slip (the bank is also talking to my Asawa on the phone the whole time), the bank gave him 100k, he brought it to the hospital payment area and payed them.

They threatened to stop the medication if they didn’t receive cash payment.

Get your Philhealth! Or other med plan.

Edited by Soupeod
Added info
  • Like 2
Soupeod

Very good article.

—————————-

What We Actually Know About Waning Immunity
Reports of vaccines’ decline have been greatly overstated.

Read in The Atlantic: 

https://apple.news/AmzpM49xvSrukgbNw3mKcQQ

Shared from Apple News

Edited by Soupeod
22 hours ago, Headshot said:

I hate to break the news, but you can get reinfected with chicken pox virus. The second time it presents as shingles, which is much worse than the childhood variety of chicken pox.

Reinfection is pretty rare.  Shingles is primarily from residual virus that lingers, if i recall, along the central nervous system just waiting.  And waiting.

Not intending to be nitpicky, more taking the opportunity to say get your shingrix people.  I also recall vaguely that there is an improved treatment in development but no reason to wait.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Administrator
Dafey

It’s been a while since I looked into the Shingles vaccine but when I did it only cut the chances of getting shingles down to about 50-50. And they wanted $500!

Have they improved on both of these numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2
SkyMan

Has there been much info put out by the 'experts' on the location and date of first instances of the delta variant? 

• Thanks 1
RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Has there been much info put out by the 'experts' on the location and date of first instances of the delta variant? 

A major worry right now is Delta, a highly contagious SARS-CoV-2 virus strain, which was first identified in India in December. It swept rapidly through that country and Great Britain before reaching the U.S., where it is now the predominant variant.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cvgtpc1
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

It’s been a while since I looked into the Shingles vaccine but when I did it only cut the chances of getting shingles down to about 50-50. And they wanted $500!

Not sure about the 50-50 part but ours was free with insurance.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

"...Shingrix is 97% effective at preventing herpes zoster (shingles) in folks over 50 whereas the Zostavax shot is 50-64% effective in preventing shingles in those 50-70 and even lower for those over 70. Shingrix also stays effective for longer..."

Google shows a 2 dose regimen costing 350 to 500 real dollars if not insured, seems to depend in part on doctor fees.

• Thanks 2
On 9/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, Headshot said:

you can get reinfected with chicken pox virus.

Nope

On 9/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, Headshot said:

it presents as shingles

Which isn't chicken pox. And is also not something you "catch". 

• Thanks 1
A_Simple_Man
11 hours ago, Fresh said:

Which isn't chicken pox. And is also not something you "catch". 

Sorry Dr. Fresh but it IS the same virus.  Shingles is caused by varicella zoster virus (VZV), the same virus that causes chickenpox. After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in their body. The virus can reactivate later, causing shingles.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Sorry Dr. Fresh but it IS the same virus.

But it's not the same reaction, you don't get chicken pox twice because of natural immunity which is always preferable to vaccines (or "vaccines").

• Thanks 1
Kahuna

Ok..let's steer things back to the  Covid side please:hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
jaybee747
On 9/3/2021 at 2:07 AM, Headshot said:

My experience was the opposite. I was infected in March 2020 (with numerous symptoms and treated by my doctor), but by October 2020 I tested negative for antibodies and negative for any sign that I had retained any immunity at all.

Actually the test I had was for T cells, not antibodies. T cells immunity can last for years while antibodies only weeks/months. The good thing about T cell immunity is that they can generate antibodies during re-infection. This test is new and was only approved by the FDA few months ago, I Don't know if it is available in the PH.

1216504100_ScreenShot2021-09-07at12_29_48AM.thumb.png.113db4627ef7eb12e17950ee4f105d7b.png

• Like 1