COVID-19 Articles, Cases, Discussions, Monitoring, and Questions

If this virus is mutable to a significant degree, by the start of flu season later this year (2021) any antidote may not  be ineffective against Covid 2021.

This statement is retracted due to inability to locate source link.

Some of the latest mutations appear to be extremely resistant to the meds available now.

Edited by lamoe
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Nih bioethics is not a company.  Got it?  Bioethics is a department within the nih.   Fauci heads a separate department.  Got it? Nih doesnt approve drugs for the fda.  Got it?  Drug testing is done b

From an on line Senior's website which I'm a Member  https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/health/covid19/glasses-cut-covid-infections-study? This although not conclusive I found interesting as

Posted Images

BossHog

Tolstoy, Bulgakov, Dostoyesky etc.

Good to see the Russians still writing quality fiction.

Not sure who's gonna buy this fable but it's worth a shot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
15 hours ago, lamoe said:

Some of the latest mutations appear to be extremely resistant to the meds available now

I havent seen this but i've not been able to keep up recently.  Have some citations to help me reduce my search times?

• Administrator
Dafey

Well maybe Dr. Moe has an inside track

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

Well maybe Dr. Moe has an inside track

Since I can't locate the article for verification (removed?) I will retract the statement and go with the following instead.

The doctor dosen't have an inside track - just being realistic.

I recall all the misinformation in January and months afterward from W.H.O.  So of course they must be right that the latest mutation  won't be resistant. Let's hope so

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/21/world/science-health-world/coronavirus-mutation-explainer/

Scientists initially thought the new coronavirus was stable and unlikely to escape vaccine-induced immune response, said Dr. Deepti Gurdasani, a clinical public health researcher at Queen Mary University of London.

“But it’s become very clear over the last several months that mutations can occur,” she said. “As selection pressure increases with mass vaccination, I think these mutants will become more common.”

https://www.govtech.com/em/safety/Coronavirus-Not-Likely-to-Become-a-big-Problem-for-US-Expert-says.html

Coronavirus Not Likely to Become a Big Problem for U.S., January 28, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

There is no evidence that the mutations seen so far could help the virus evade vaccines or treatments now in development, but genetic analysis of circulating strains suggests that partially-resistant variants can emerge and spread among humans.

COVID-19 vaccine will 'very likely' work on UK mutation, Fauci says ...

https://www.cnet.com/.../covid-19-vaccine-will-very-likely-work-on-uk- mutation-fauci-says-as-california-reports-case/

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/20/health/walter-reed-covid-19-variant/index.html

(CNN)Scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to know in the next few days if there's a concern that the coronavirus vaccines might not work against a mutated variant of the virus that's rapidly spreading in parts of England, according to the institute's top vaccine researcher.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/29/covid-19-mutations-minks-denmark-britain-vaccine-efficacy/

Will Virus Mutations Threaten COVID-19 Vaccines?

We don't yet know whether new variants of the coronavirus may impede vaccines’ efficacy. But they shouldn’t change anything about our approach to public health.

12 hours ago, lamoe said:

The doctor dosen't have an inside track - just being realistic.

There be a good sized difference between spouting an opinion and claiming a fact.  In most cases there is a chance a microbe could through genetic variability become resistant to a current treatment.  Happens often of course.

Your statement "...appear to be extremely resistant..."  threw me a bit as i'm not aware of any findings claiming any new formed resistance.  Made me think something new had been found.  

not that some new resistance wont form, heck, we may be forcing covid along an evolutionary path that allows it to kill us all, but it aint happened yet and i wouldnt be willing to give up whatever credibility i have left in my own mind by claiming it has already happened.

now that i think about though i hereby reserve the right to say i told you so should it happen.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, East Saxon said:

Hacked from the UK team who have just announced one?

Not sure what you are referring to.  A new antidote, or a covid strain resistant to the vaccines? 

Irenicus
7 hours ago, BossHog said:

Tolstoy, Bulgakov, Dostoyesky etc.

I lived on the same dirt road in Cavendish, Vermont as Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.  I had read Day in the Life and Gulag Archipelago before seeing him.  Never talked to him, but we'd wave when I drove by him when he was walking his dog.  Never has a Russian looked more Russian-er - huge crazy beard and all. 

12 hours ago, Daddle said:

Antidote implies a poison...

Russians.  There's a certain mindset with them.

BossHog
7 hours ago, Irenicus said:

I lived on the same dirt road in Cavendish, Vermont as Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.  I had read Day in the Life and Gulag Archipelago before seeing him.  Never talked to him, but we'd wave when I drove by him when he was walking his dog.  Never has a Russian looked more Russian-er - huge crazy beard and all. 

My next door neighbor when I was a boy was Jonas Salk. He invented a vaccine. We were always told to hold him in the highest regard. I sometimes hit baseballs into his yard by mistake, One time he handed a baseball back to me and suggested we maybe should play ball in a nearby park instead of around his backyard. In retrospect that makes perfect sense. He was a fairly smart fellow.

• Haha 2
lamoe

" Colorado health officials said an Elbert County man in his 20s was in isolation after becoming infected. It has since been found in California as well."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-strain-covid-florida

Health officials in Florida have confirmed the state's first case of a new coronavirus strain.

The person infected was described as a Martin County man in his 20s with no history of travel, the state Department of Health said Thursday.

"The Department is working with the CDC on this investigation," the department tweeted. "We encourage all to continue practicing COVID-19 mitigation."

The first case of the new strain -- called B.1.1.7 -- in the United States was announced Tuesday. Colorado health officials said an Elbert County man in his 20s was in isolation after becoming infected. It has since been found in California as well.

Soupeod
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

" Colorado health officials said an Elbert County man in his 20s was in isolation after becoming infected. It has since been found in California as well."

Yeah, old news, thus the ban from traveling from the US to the PH.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Sibonga Simon

The Department of Health (DOH) in Central Visayas has observed an increase in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in the region, recording a 57-percent rise of active cases in the first 10 days of the year.

The DOH-7 case bulletin, as of Sunday, said the region now has a total of 1,207 individuals who contracted Covid-19 from the 688 recorded on the first day of the year.

Although the agency observed slower recoveries in the region since the long holidays, it has now a total of 23,013 recoveries with a 0.5 percent increase since the first day of this year.

The number of Covid-19 recoveries represents 90 percent of the 25,658 total infections listed in the region since the start of the pandemic in March last year.

The agency is closely monitoring this capital city, which saw an increase of active infections with slower recoveries, prompting the DOH-7 to reopen a patient care facility in the city’s uptown area.

Full story at pna.gov.ph

• Thanks 1