• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Kahuna

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

You act like this is something new...  Talk about what's going on anywhere you like as long as you leave politics out of it. There are thousands of posts on the pandemic that have managed to

Posted Images

JohnSurrey
On 4/9/2020 at 9:30 PM, JohnSurrey said:

CNN: Bukidnon province reports first COVID-19 case

The article doesn't say this but apparently it's a 50 yr old Barangay Captain - he went to the now infamous "Davao cock fight" mid march - returned to Bukidnon - was asymptomatic,  later tested and classed as pui, but continued his Barangay work until he received the positive test result (a number of days later)... handing out relief goods etc. 

Understandably, the residents there are v pssd off.

My wife added some more details tonight.. before returning to Bukidnon he went on to attend meetings with other government officers firstly in Tacloban and then in Cebu... travelling by air... before returning to Bukidnon and working on their checkpoint and handing out relief goods and further doses of covid-19!

JohnSurrey

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) said on Saturday, April 11, it is investigating allegations that a hospital in Metro Manila was told not to report COVID-19 deaths, and denied giving such an order....

In the exchange, the health worker said there were "10 deaths every day" from COVID-19, and fatalities were so many that the hospital ran out of cadaver bags, and bodies were being left lying in hallways.

Full story here

Actually ties in with what a nurse friend working in Manila told the wife's relative today  -  Basically there were so many they were told not to count them anymore because they might create a panic.

Headshot

He didn't mention zinc as part of the Hydroxychloroquine regimen, but from everything I've read, Hydroxychloroquine isn't much good if there isn't adequate zinc in the body. This is very good news.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Social distancing is slowing not only Covid-19, but other diseases too

March 25, 2020 By Dan Kopf & Alexandra Ossola

RTS3762K.jpg

As governments around the world have pushed their citizens away from populated places to slow the spread of Covid-19, they may not have realized that they were also combatting other infectious diseases, such as the seasonal flu.

But they have been, according to data from Kinsa Health, a company that has sold or given away more than 1 million smart thermometers in the US. Kinsa collects anonymized thermometer readings (via its app, which users connect to the device) from its active user base to estimate the share of people that are ill in different geographies. By comparing current thermometer readings to historical trends, researchers have used Kinsa’s data to predict flu outbreaks weeks before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s surveillance program, which uses hospitalization records.

Recent data clearly show the spread of Covid-19. On March 19, the share of Americans with temperatures indicating they had flu-like symptoms was about 4.9% when it typically would be expected to be about 4.0%. This was likely a result of the spread of Covid-19, according to Kinsa’s researchers.

But by March 23, it was down to 3.3%, when it would typically be at 3.7% (the share of fevers decreases quickly at this time of year because of the end of winter).

The drop—from 0.9% above typical flu-like illness rates to 0.4% below—in just four days is the largest one Kinsa has ever observed in such a short period of time, according to Kinsa CEO Inder Singh. “There is no known precedent for this type of extensive social distancing in recent time,” said Singh. “We have nothing to compare this to, but this extreme drop is exactly what we would hope and expect with the measures currently in place.”

01.JPG

Due to the emergence of the coronavirus, Kinsa is receiving two to three times more thermometer readings per day than in previous flu seasons. Historically, Kinsa’s methods have been able to account for a sharp rise in the number of people taking tests, said Benjamin Dalziel, a professor at Oregon State University who studies infectious diseases. For his research, Dalziel has ensured that a spike in testing didn’t lead to inaccurate predictions, and so he believes the current decline in illness is a result of social distancing, and not a statistical anomaly. (Dalziel has had research funded by Kinsa in the past).

Kinsa claims its data showed New York City and South Florida were possible Covid-19 hotspots even before testing proved that to be so. The data below show that King County, which includes Seattle, was well above average at the beginning of March when the outbreak there was in full effect. New York County (the borough of Manhattan), Miami-Dade County, and San Francisco County were also above typical early in the month.

By mid-March, temperatures in King County and San Francisco were beginning to fall, while New York and Miami-Dade continued to rise. Since March 19, readings from all of these counties have fallen due to social distancing.

02.JPG

Unlike most places in the US, El Paso County, Colorado has not seen a decline in user temperatures over the past week. The data doesn’t show us exactly why—it may be because people in the county are not yet social distancing as much as in other parts of the US, or because the outbreak of coronavirus is overwhelming gains from decreased social contact. As of March 25, the county had 106 confirmed Covid-19 cases.

Even the places that have benefitted most from social distancing may not see their temperatures stay low if outbreaks persist, Dalziel said. Though social distancing can do a lot to slow the spread of diseases like Covid-19, it has not yet been able to stop it completely.

https://qz.com/1824020/social-distancing-slowing-not-only-covid-19-but-other-diseases-too

• Thanks 1
Ozepete

Well it would be hard to get the jack from four feet away!!:D

• Haha 1
smokey
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

He didn't mention zinc as part of the Hydroxychloroquine regimen, but from everything I've read, Hydroxychloroquine isn't much good if there isn't adequate zinc in the body. This is very good news.

I got mad some f wad said that drug has not been tested on humans and maybe it will have side affects that are harmful.   ..   The other guy says it was used in viet nam for years by our troops.  The dumb overeducated b says exactly that proves my point it destroyed so many americans turned them into killers and the current admin will do it again 

Fish Sandwich

490661630_barangayschedulecovid.thumb.png.07372cb2a2f5e87e11fc6ab241ab2c9f.pngi

Anyone seen this? My neighbor lady sent me this curfew schedule and said it applies to where we live (Lapu-Lapu). I think everyone believes it too as it's creating really long lines around 6pm at night at stores around here (the longest I've ever seen them by double to quadruple a normal pre-covid day). I've been following the schedule just in case...

I'm not referring to the 8pm to 5am curfew which seems to be pretty standard everywhere. I'm referring to the two, two hour blocks blocked out in the middle of the day which creates HUGE gatherings shortly after that time window opens.

The more I research, the more I'm thinking this has nothing to do with Lapu-Lapu. I found a reference to this in Cavite and I'm not sure where the lady (in the pic... Nyleve Masong on fb) is from, but she references Manila and other places. I'm going to research more, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone knows something official or has some insight. 

Anyone know if this applies to Lapu-Lapu? Or Cebu? Or hopefully neither?

Headshot

Hydroxychloroquine is used commonly for malaria. If I remember correctly, the doses given in SEA back in the late were 20mg. daily or 200mg. once a week. It is also prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis at 20mg. per day. It is only unsafe when used in high dosages (over 600mg.) over a long period of time (more than a month) which can cause retinal problems in the eyes. All of the recommendations I have seen are for between 200mg. and 400mg per dosage, and only continued for 5 to 7 days. The one caveat is for anybody who has an irregular heartbeat (uncontrolled by a heart device), who should not be prescribed this medication. In that case, Hydroxychloroquine can cause the heart to slow down to the point where sufficient blood is no longer pumped through the body (which will cause organ failure). I'm not a doctor, and this is only what I've read in published medical reports. Hydroxychloroquine doesn't turn people into killers

• Like 1
Soupeod
29 minutes ago, Fish Sandwich said:

490661630_barangayschedulecovid.thumb.png.07372cb2a2f5e87e11fc6ab241ab2c9f.pngi

Anyone seen this? My neighbor lady sent me this curfew schedule and said it applies to where we live (Lapu-Lapu). I think everyone believes it too as it's creating really long lines around 6pm at night at stores around here (the longest I've ever seen them by double to quadruple a normal pre-covid day). I've been following the schedule just in case...

I'm not referring to the 8pm to 5am curfew which seems to be pretty standard everywhere. I'm referring to the two, two hour blocks blocked out in the middle of the day which creates HUGE gatherings shortly after that time window opens.

The more I research, the more I'm thinking this has nothing to do with Lapu-Lapu. I found a reference to this in Cavite and I'm not sure where the lady (in the pic... Nyleve Masong on fb) is from, but she references Manila and other places. I'm going to research more, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone knows something official or has some insight. 

Anyone know if this applies to Lapu-Lapu? Or Cebu? Or hopefully neither?

It’s not in western Leyte from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Headshot
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

I asked the doctor if they used zinc in the study, and he said they didn't. I guess they were relying on the patients having sufficient zinc in their systems to make the Hydroxychloroquine worthwhile.

Fish Sandwich
5 hours ago, Soupeod said:

It’s not in western Leyte from what I’ve seen.

Thanks for the info.

Seems I got my answer after more hours of research and translations. That schedule is a Manila thing and has nothing to do with Lapu-Lapu or Cebu and seems only for certain places in Manila too.

Of course my neighbor lady tried to save face by saying it was no longer in effect for us (after hours of looking into it herself). Rather than telling her it was never in effect, I just said thanks. Nothing new on that front...

• Like 2
JohnSurrey

Quite a worrying story here, depending on what's discovered:

WHO investigates reports of recovered coronavirus patients testing positive again

On Friday, South Korea reported that 91 coronavirus patients being considered for discharge tested positive for the virus again. 

The director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the virus may have been "reactivated" rather than the patients being re-infected. 

It remains unclear why the patients tested positive after initially testing negative for COVID-19 — WHO announced Saturday that it would be investigating the reports. 

"As COVID-19 is a new disease, we need more epidemiological data to draw any conclusions," WHO told Reuters. 

More information here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-investigates-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-2020-4

• Like 1
lamoe

Reinfection / reactivation? was reported as early as 2/28 by CNA - China says they're not infectious.