Headshot

Coronavirus Stories, Discussions, and Videos

Headshot

'Living Through A Nightmare': Brazil's Manaus Digs A Mass Grave As Deaths Mount

1148719816_0Brazil.thumb.jpg.41d99dc6afa13d785b6d9c86dd320fce.jpg

Relatives mourn at the site of a mass burial at the Nossa Senhora Aparecida cemetery, in Manaus, Amazonas state, Brazil, on Tuesday. The cemetery is carrying out burials in common graves due to the large number of deaths from COVID-19 disease, according to a cemetery official.

"I just wish a helicopter would come and fly me away from here," says Manuel Viana, a Brazilian funeral director in the front line of the spiraling coronavirus crisis. "We are living through a nightmare."

Viana is among the citizens and officials struggling to cope with a tragedy under way in Manaus, a city of 2.2 million in the middle of the Amazon rainforest.

Cemeteries and hospitals have been overwhelmed by a surge in the number of deaths, most of which are not registered in official COVID-19 statistics because of a lack of testing and bureaucratic delays.

Manaus, the capital of Amazonas state, is a bustling port where soybeans, timber, fish and other products are shipped down the Amazon River. It's also a major cocaine trafficking hub, notorious for daily homicides and prison massacres.

Yet the coronavirus has introduced a new kind of horror. The Nossa Senhora Aparecida cemetery has begun using backhoes to dig mass graves.

This has become "the only option" because it is "humanly impossible" to dig the required number of graves, says Viana, who runs a funeral company and is president of the Syndicate of Funeral Businesses in Amazonas.

According to Viana, the city's daily average of deaths has risen from 30 to more than 100. The mayor's office confirmed to NPR that there have been 340 burials just in the past three days. In most cases, the cause of death was listed as unknown, said a city hall spokeswoman.

City authorities are in little doubt that COVID-19 victims account for most of the spike. This means the virus is taking a far deadlier toll on Manaus than the official count of 172 virus-related deaths suggests. The reported death toll throughout Brazil is 3,313.

Video footage has appeared online showing the collapse of Manaus' burial services and public hospitals. In one, corpses lie on beds in a hospital alongside live patients undergoing treatment. Another shows a line of vans waiting to deliver bodies for burial at the Nossa Senhora Aparecida cemetery.

Viana says that in some cases — perhaps through fear of infection — families are not coming forward to claim the bodies of their relatives.

"That is something I honestly have never seen in Manaus before, " he says.

Often, those who do claim their dead are unable to mourn properly because of tight restrictions on the number of people at graveside gatherings.

"Seeing those families being unable to come to bid farewell or pray is heartbreaking," says Viana. "I have been in this business for more than 30 years. We never thought we would encounter a situation like this."

The city's mayor, Arthur Virgílio Neto, says Manaus is experiencing "a calamity." He has appealed for help from Brazil's federal government and leaders of the G-20 nations.

Fears are growing that deaths will surge next month when coronavirus infections are predicted to peak. The governor of Amazonas has warned that the state could face "a very serious problem in the next 10 to 15 days."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/23/842802500/living-through-a-nightmare-brazil-s-manaus-digs-a-mass-grave-as-deaths-mount

Summer break from the virus outbreak? I don't think so. It is always summer in Manaus.

Salty Dog

Cgu

It is definitely slowing in certain parts of the world. In Western Europe infections and death rate are declining fast, in the US many state as well, some are flat, few are still increasing.

• Like 2

papimafioso69

My good friend Steve and his wife recovered from the virus . It was a 7 week battle and fortunately they never had to be hospitalized . I asked him how the health care was while they had Covid , basically none . He lives in a suburb outside of Chicago . The doctor told him that you have it , it’s either going to kill you or you’ll be stronger when you get well . Take Tylenol vitamin C &Zinc  and if you have shortness of breath call 911 . That’s it . No follow up by a health care person , if you have money for groceries, nothing . All this $$$ we’ve thrown at this health crisis and there’s your dollars at work . Fortunately he has a retirement income but what about the people who get sick and don’t . We’re at 88 thousand dead and counting . Everyone stay safe and healthy . They had no idea where they got it . 

• Thanks 4

Goetz1965
Posted (edited)

British doctors found that blood thinning drugs improved the treatment of covid-19 patients: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/16/blood-thinning-drugs-can-help-save-covid-19-patients-lives/

Also known is that small dosage of Aspirin 80-100mg a day, so called Baby-Aspirin, has a positive effect in people 50-59 years old: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/daily-aspirin-for-disease-prevention-when-do-the-benefits-outweigh-the-risks

As Im 55 I think its worth the risk to just take a pill a day now. 
I also noticed over the last years that whenever I have a cold, especially a sinusitis that drinking a 100mg Aspirin per day besides VitaminC + Zinc really helped by reducing the illness effects.

Edited by Goetz1965

Davaoeno

I have taken .81 mg  aspirin daily for the last 15 years

What it actually does is to make the blood platelets more slippery thereby reducing the risk of a stroke

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RR3

How about pneumococcal vaccine? I know one country in Europe who give this shot to all 65+ for free. It does not kill covid but prevents pneumonia hit on You.

As You may know pneumonia is the last stage of covid. 

• Like 1

yingy52
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I have taken .81 mg  aspirin daily for the last 15 years

What it actually does is to make the blood platelets more slippery thereby reducing the risk of a stroke

I've been taking aspirin every morning since 1994 when I retired from the military. I'm convinced that it's the only reason I'm still alive. 

• Like 1

Cgu

In one of the most heavily affected areas, New York city, they released the statistic of mortality rate including death rate under 65. It is marginal, 0.09%, so over 95% of deaths are 65 and over. Definitely nothing unusual...I would say same as without COVID.

When analyzing the breakdown of deaths by age and condition [source], we can observe how, out of 15,230 confirmed deaths in New York City up to May 12, only 690 (4.5% of all deaths) occurred in patients under the age of 65 who did not have an underlying medical condition (or for which it is unknown whether they had or did not have an underlying condition).

Under 65-year-old (0.09% CMR to date)

85.9% of the population (7,214,525 people out of 8,398,748) in New York City is under 65 years old according to the US Census Bureau, which indicates the percent of persons 65 years old and over in New York City as being 14.1% [source].

We don't know what percentage of the population in this age group has an underlying condition, so at this time we are not able to accurately estimate the fatality rate for the under 65 years old and healthy.

But we can calculate it for the entire population under 65 years old (both healthy and unhealthy): with 6,188 deaths (26% of the total deaths in all age groups) occurring in this age group, of which 5,498 deaths (89%) in patients with a known underlying condition, the crude mortality rate to date will correspond to 6,188 / 7,214,525 = 0.09% CMR, or 86 deaths per 100,000 population (compared to 0.28% and 279 deaths per 100,000 for the general population).

So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions.

NOTE: We are gathering and analyzing additional data in order to provide more estimates by age group.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

• Like 1

lamoe
11 hours ago, Cgu said:

In one of the most heavily affected areas, New York city, they released the statistic of mortality rate including death rate under 65. It is marginal, 0.09%, so over 95% of deaths are 65 and over. Definitely nothing unusual...I would say same as without COVID.

When analyzing the breakdown of deaths by age and condition [source], we can observe how, out of 15,230 confirmed deaths in New York City up to May 12, only 690 (4.5% of all deaths) occurred in patients under the age of 65 who did not have an underlying medical condition (or for which it is unknown whether they had or did not have an underlying condition).

Under 65-year-old (0.09% CMR to date)

85.9% of the population (7,214,525 people out of 8,398,748) in New York City is under 65 years old according to the US Census Bureau, which indicates the percent of persons 65 years old and over in New York City as being 14.1% [source].

We don't know what percentage of the population in this age group has an underlying condition, so at this time we are not able to accurately estimate the fatality rate for the under 65 years old and healthy.

But we can calculate it for the entire population under 65 years old (both healthy and unhealthy): with 6,188 deaths (26% of the total deaths in all age groups) occurring in this age group, of which 5,498 deaths (89%) in patients with a known underlying condition, the crude mortality rate to date will correspond to 6,188 / 7,214,525 = 0.09% CMR, or 86 deaths per 100,000 population (compared to 0.28% and 279 deaths per 100,000 for the general population).

So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions.

NOTE: We are gathering and analyzing additional data in order to provide more estimates by age group.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

"So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions."

Percentage about right. Same for seasonal flu except no vaccine for this one yet.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Researchers from Columbia University recently estimated that only 1 in 12 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. are documented, which they said would translate to an infection fatality rate of about 0.6%, according to The Washington Post. But even this lower estimate is still at least six times higher than that of the flu. (The case fatality rate in people who become sick with flu may be 0.1%, but when you account for people who become infected with flu but never show symptoms, the death rate will be half or even a quarter of that, the Post reported.)  

What's more, unlike the flu, for which there is a vaccine, everyone in the population is theoretically susceptible to COVID-19. So while the flu affects 8% of the U.S. population every year, according to the CDC, between 50% and 80% of the population could be infected with COVID-19, according to a study published March 30 in the journal The Lancet. In the  U.S., that would translate to 1 million deaths from COVID-19 if half the population becomes infected and there are no social distancing measures or therapeutics, the Post reported.

Soupeod

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/next-car-could-virus-proof-210655033.html?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message&.tsrc=newsroom

Automakers and suppliers around the world are investigating ways to virus-proof their vehicles to win customers in a post-COVID-19 market.

Ideas under consideration include blasting car interiors with ultraviolet light, using foggers to spray disinfectants, upgraded air filtration systems and antimicrobial materials.

(More at the above link)

• Like 1

Dafey

This one airport is going to extremes to scan for coronavirus

image.png.02d4925c4ed3b1692d4a51dd50d53459.png

With the coronavirus pandemic sweeping across the globe, upending our day-to-day lives, it can start to feel like we're in some kind of sci-fi dystopia. Social distancing and sheltering in place have become the new normal. But while offices, hospitals, and grocery stores have implemented strict health measures, no place has gone further than Hamad International Airport (HIA) in Doha, that capital city of Qatar.

"HIA has adapted to the changes brought on by the spread of COVID-19 on the world, especially on the travel sector," HIA CEO, Badr Mohammed Al Meer, said in a statement. "These [recovery] plans include the use of the latest advanced technology to achieve the highest safety standards for the future travel experience."

In reality, the cutting-edge airport looks straight out of The Jetsons—complete with robot maids and space helmets. One such gadget is the Smart Screening Helmet, which security staff are wearing as part of a health inspection for all travelers and crew. The futuristic headgear uses infrared thermal imaging, artificial intelligence, and augmented reality to conduct contactless temperature checks.

image.png.28b669a6377e4fa0bd07c6321743b05e.png

After you pass through security, you may notice a robot roaming the terminals. This autonomous machine moves around high-traffic areas and uses concentrated UV-C light to kill bacteria, viruses, and other dangerous microorganisms. According to the BBC, these smart bots were originally designed to reduce the likelihood of hospital-acquired infections spread among emergency rooms. Since they were first released in 2019, the devices have been deployed in medical centers, airports, and even Amazon warehouses.

Ultraviolet light also comes into play throughout HIA's "disinfection tunnels," where all checked luggage is shuttled under the UV lights to be cleared of any lurking germs.

As for jetsetters, they have some rules to follow, too. Qatar Airways—which is based out of HIA—made it mandatory for its flight attendants to wear full PPE, including disposable hazmat suits, gloves, goggles, and masks. Though passengers don't have to go that far, they are required to wear face masks. To enforce that, the airport created a computerized surveillance system that scans for face masks to make sure travelers are taking the proper precautions. In the year 2020, Big Brother is watching. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/travel/news/this-one-airport-is-going-to-extremes-to-scan-for-coronavirus/ar-BB14r9nj?ocid=spartandhp

I guess facial recognition got flushed down the toilet?

SkyMan

99420128_10213499601164858_2765019010801074176_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_eui2=AeGtt6zz3JzHNd8eNQ1Xgw1HBdRamZ71nCcF1FqZnvWcJ0qteNSRqlynvjyrm_yL1Q0&_nc_oc=AQlu0fnXejnnmTcpuoq_sFVMiBv7MGorymlNWRdKlQtkVPtoe9nrVFvfeke7vAP8BhI&_nc_ht=scontent.fceb2-1.fna&oh=de6d0e17817c355802661e3ab3ce4766&oe=5EF25AC3

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/19/tanzanias-president-shrugs-off-covid-19-risk-after-sending-fruit-for-tests

Tanzania's president shrugs off Covid-19 risk after sending fruit for 'tests'

Magufuli caused alarm by branding lab tests a ‘dirty game’ and hailing natural remedies. Now he is calling for country to open up

Tanzania’s divisive president John Magufuli has said the economy is “more important than the threat posed by coronavirus”, adding that he wants to reopen the country for tourism despite warnings that Africa could face the next wave of the disease.

The comments by Magufuli, who has modelled his populist response on that of Donald Trump and Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro – in repeatedly denying the risk of the pandemic to his country – come amid mounting alarm among Tanzania’s neighbours over his approach.

So far there have been 21 officially recorded deaths in Tanzania.

Magufuli made the remarks on Sunday during a mass in his hometown of Chato, where he said he intended to keep Tanzania’s borders open with its eight neighbours. The remarks follow a series of statements in recent weeks minimising the threat of coronavirus.

In a video the Tanzanian president once again touted natural remedies for coronavirus, saying these had helped his son.

“My own son, after contracting the virus, closed himself in his room, took a lemon and ginger solution before getting well and is even able to do push-ups,” he said in a video that went viral.

“We have had a number of viral diseases, including Aids and measles. Our economy must come first. It must not sleep. If we allow our economy to sleep, we will not receive salaries … Life must go on,” he added.

“As I am talking here,” he continued, “some airline operators are fully booked – until August – with tourists who want to visit Tanzania.”

The president’s latest comments follow several bizarre interventions – including his order that animals and fruit be tested for the virus as a demonstration of “false positives”. He has also been accused by health professionals of covering up the true number of infections.

Elected in 2015, and nicknamed the “Bulldozer”, he has become Tanzania’s most high profile leader since Julius Nyerere both for his popularity and also for his reputation of targeting those critical of him.

Even as the US embassy has warned of the risk of “exponential growth” of Covid-19 cases in the country, adding that hospitals were “overwhelmed”, Magufuli has accused international health officials of exaggerating the crisis and suggested some health workers “may have been put on the payroll of imperialists”.

More at the link...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sibonga Simon

I think my barangay will win the 'where will the next hotspot be located' award.  Went to get a business permit and add my significant other to my quarantine pass this morning.  The line was 50 meters long, shoulder to shoulder, and I would guess well less than 50% were wearing masks, or wearing them correctly.  Zero social distancing.

So, after about 30 minutes cheek to jowl with my neighbours I was ushered into the hall, which was again packed to the rafters, and no sign of social distancing, or masks being worn or worn correctly.

Another 15 minutes standing in the cramped office and I get in line to see the 'captain';  he is not wearing a mask - at least not until he saw the fat, white, gringo giving him death stares.  Got the quarantine pass updated and made a hasty retreat.  I don't need to die for a business permit; that would seem counter productive.

If this soft of thing is going on across the country, the virus is here to stay.  What pissed me off the most was that the health office was operating exactly the same, even the health workers were not wearing masks correctly.

Can anyone beat that?

• Like 2

Cgu

It seems in certain European countries the COVID-19 is over (for now). Some countries allow gathering of 300 persons already  from next week, (small concerts etc.), universities, restaurants without restrictions,  live music, holiday camps etc. Mostly this are the DACH countries, France etc. No more social distancing (well above 300 will take a few weeks more). Although they want to keep home office, as it reduces transport and other positive things / aspects they want to keep. Seems they come together well....

Ahh, no mask recommended or required, since the infections are so low, that they only want to concentrate on tracking if they have a hot spot....

Edited by Cgu
  • Like 1