Coronavirus Articles, Discussions and Videos

SkyMan
On 2/6/2020 at 2:53 AM, SkyMan said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51409800?fbclid=IwAR3r57VCSOk5eaNWasV27gPfHP79k91H4E8_08kTRnRIE1DmIdC-NXGd9zk

Coronavirus: Dozens more catch virus on quarantined cruise ship

Another 41 people on a cruise ship off the coast of Japan have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases on board to 61.

Some 3,700 people are on board the Diamond Princess, which is quarantined in Yokohama for at least two weeks.

The checks began after an 80-year-old Hong Kong man who had been on the ship last month fell ill with the virus.

He boarded the cruise ship in Yokohama on 20 January and disembarked in Hong Kong on 25 January.

A separate cruise ship - the World Dream - has been quarantined in Hong Kong after eight former passengers caught the virus.

It has around 3,600 people on board, but none have tested positive so far.

The new cases on the Diamond Princess bring Japan's number of confirmed cases to 86, the second highest figure after China.

"The results of the remaining 171 tests came out and 41 tested positive," Japan's Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said.

"Today they will be sent to hospitals in several prefectures, and we are now preparing for that."

One of those tested positive and now moved off board is a 58-year old British man, who was on honeymoon with his 41-year old wife.

With the quarantine due to last until 19 February, there has also been concern over supplies of normal medicine to the ship.

One passenger has been waving a Japanese flag with the message "shortage of medicine".

A Japanese TV crew on the shore responded with a banner asking: "What medicine?"

More at the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From an on line Senior's website which I'm a Member  https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/health/covid19/glasses-cut-covid-infections-study? This although not conclusive I found interesting as

I Just spoke with my sister (79) in the UK.  Had her Covide19 vacination ( Astra Zeneca,) last Saturday.Had to present at the town hall at 1.17pm .She queried this Time with the nurse who rang ,b

Posted Images

smokey

And on top of this chinese started virus a.chinese company applies for a patent on new drug hummmmmm that should be a billion dollar company in a few months.  Makes me wonder 

battleborn

I have not watched all the videos on this subject, so I don't know if the question of the age range of the infected people has been addressed?

It seems like what I am seeing on ANC and reading in the news is that most cases are mid 30's and up.  Seems strange that the common flu attacks the very young and elderly more often in the US.  They are the ones they target for the flu shots annually.

Makes me wonder if this virus was man made of just an unexplained phenomenon..

• Thanks 1
SkyMan

One thing that seems very hopeful to me is that while there are many cases outside of China, there don't seem to be outbreaks in those areas.  Perhaps it's still too early for that but it seems like containment is working.

• Like 1
Headshot
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

One thing that seems very hopeful to me is that while there are many cases outside of China, there don't seem to be outbreaks in those areas.  Perhaps it's still too early for that but it seems like containment is working.

You have to remember that they believe that the first human infection in China occurred in the second half of November, but the bodies didn't start piling up until January. I'm guessing that there were deaths prior to January, but they weren't identified as being the result of the 2019-nCov virus. Even now, with the extreme shortage of test kits in China, anybody who dies of lung problems without first testing positive are not listed in the death totals. An example was given where 80 people presented at a hospital with pneumonis symptoms, but the hospital only had 5 test kits. Those 5 tested positive and were admitted to the hospital. The other 75 were sent home and told to "self-isolate" themselves, if possible. Who knows how many of the 75 died, but weren't recorded under the virus.

• Thanks 2
Headshot
4 hours ago, battleborn said:

I have not watched all the videos on this subject, so I don't know if the question of the age range of the infected people has been addressed?

It seems like what I am seeing on ANC and reading in the news is that most cases are mid 30's and up.  Seems strange that the common flu attacks the very young and elderly more often in the US.  They are the ones they target for the flu shots annually.

Makes me wonder if this virus was man made of just an unexplained phenomenon..

I really don't think this is man-made, but it may have been an accidental release by the level 4 biolab in Wuhan, as they were known to have been studying the bat version of the virus before the outbreak. It is very possible that patient 0 was an employee at the lab. You have to remember that they didn't realize the virus was transmittable to humans back in November. The youngest person infected by the virus was a 30-hour-old baby, and the baby's mother was also infected. The oldest person infected was in their mid-90's. About 90% of the deaths from 2019-nCov have been over 50-years-old, with some of those having other chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, hypertension or diabetes, so it is definitely targeting the weak. However, it is possible to be infected by the virus, regardless of your age, and some percentage of those infected will die, but because China has hidden (or just doesn't know) the real numbers of infections and deaths, it is impossible to know what that percentage is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Headshot

About 97% of antibiotics used in the US are manufactured in China. In addition, about 90% of all medications used in the US are manufactured in China. We have been talking about how the death rates will drop in countries where there is better health care, but if China withholds medications (or simply isn't able to manufacture them) then that could change (for the worse) in a hurry. They have already halted shipments of masks and gloves, citing that they need them worse than the US does. The 3M factory in China where the N95 masks are manufactured has now been nationalized by the CCP. Does anybody else see where this is going?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Headshot

February 9, 2020 at 2:30PM PT

Compensation – Full Refund and Future Cruise Credit

Because of the extraordinary circumstances onboard Diamond Princess, Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for all guests including air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items. In addition, guests will not be charged for any onboard incidental charges during the additional time onboard.

Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage which ended on February 4.

Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members receive their designated gratuities for the work performed.

Guests have been provided a letter delivered to their stateroom with details on how to process this refund.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-update.html

Does anybody think that these people will EVER want to get on another cruise ship?

• Thanks 1
Headshot

The average age of passengers on the Diamond Princes is about 50-years-old. Since 90% of the deaths have been people over 50, it would seem reasonable that about half of the people on the ship are fairly safe.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Does anybody think that these people will EVER want to get on another cruise ship?

Never underestimate a person's desire to take advantage of something free. Especially when it's worth $1,000+...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
BossHog
4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

.potential for outbreak to be over by April this year

That would be a relief. One had thoughts of the Tokyo Olympic games being disrupted this summer.

Ozepete
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

That would be a relief. One had thoughts of the Tokyo Olympic games being disrupted this summer.

Or worse still, the Oz footy season starts here soon and we don't want that interrupted! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Headshot
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

We can always hope. That is exactly what the doctor who was quoted said. He "hopes" that the outbreak (in China) will be declining by April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1