Coronavirus Articles, Discussions and Questions

7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

What was your source @Cgu?

Oh, just forgot, than you for reminding me :D

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

The data is coming from github (I came across there):

https://github.com/TheEconomist/covid-19-excess-deaths-tracker

The US data comes from the NYT ( I do not know if there is free access there)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

For 3rd world countries it might not be so accurate, as they might have died causes related due to the lock down (no access to emergency services, medicines etc.)

Edited by Cgu
  • Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Dafey

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

From an on line Senior's website which I'm a Member  https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/health/covid19/glasses-cut-covid-infections-study? This although not conclusive I found interesting as

Posted Images

Soupeod

Getting confused, what’s the difference between this thread and below:

• Administrator
Salty Dog
4 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Getting confused, what’s the difference between this thread and below:

The thread you quoted is for Philippines related COVID-19 info. If members are talking about personal accounts of COVID-19 and related issues in the Philippines, they should post in that thread.

This thread is for general COVID-19 discussion and elsewhere around the world. 

• Thanks 1
onemoretry

Im in Sweden that have the worst goverment ever who think they better then the rest of the world how to fight the new covid 19... As we in nordic country escape our homeland during the cold dark winter season I know a few that was really afraid to go back as normal in late april and may for the summer here . they all did everything to stay longer in the Phillipines...  As now no lockdowns ! super high rate of death compare of population...elderhomes specific because no restrictions or cover instructions .. No checks on internationals flights especially from Italy when hell broke loose.. and as now still direct flight from beijing arrives when hear about 2e outbreak...well I can continue for long but you welcome to switch place anytime with me... i wanna escape as soon as possible back to philli

• Like 6
  • Administrator
Dafey
14 hours ago, onemoretry said:

Im in Sweden that have the worst goverment ever who think they better then the rest of the world how to fight the new covid 19... As we in nordic country escape our homeland during the cold dark winter season I know a few that was really afraid to go back as normal in late april and may for the summer here . they all did everything to stay longer in the Phillipines...  As now no lockdowns ! super high rate of death compare of population...elderhomes specific because no restrictions or cover instructions .. No checks on internationals flights especially from Italy when hell broke loose.. and as now still direct flight from beijing arrives when hear about 2e outbreak...well I can continue for long but you welcome to switch place anytime with me... i wanna escape as soon as possible back to philli

I was reading that Sweden basically did nothing and hoped for 'Herd Immunity'! They have a huge dead pool because of this and half are the elderly in nursing homes that nobody tried to protect.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

As if we didn't have enough crap, (pun intended), to worry about!

image.png.dd25873b3a3cee0bf0841e47deab8df9.png

As per a new study, flushing the toilet can create a cloud of tiny aerosol droplets up to 3 feet above the bowl that potentially contains the coronavirus. The cloud can supposedly remain airborne for about a minute and can land on other surfaces in the bathroom.

How Toilet Flushing Can Supposedly Spread The Coronavirus

By now, it’s already known that the primary mode of coronavirus transmission is via air droplets that can spread from person to person. However, here’s one more reason why you should put down the toilet cover before you flush: The coronavirus can spread through feces particles of an infected person as well.

That’s right. Multiple studies (specifically one from the American Institute of Physics) reveal that flushing the toilet can spew tiny droplets that potentially contain the coronavirus for up to 3 feet, which can stay on the air for about a minute before landing on other surfaces around the bathroom or even get inhaled by another bathroom user. As such, shared bathrooms can now be very risky, especially if there’s an infected person using it.

"One can foresee that the velocity will be even higher when a toilet is used frequently, such as in the case of a family toilet during a busy time or a public toilet serving a densely populated area," Ji-Xiang Wang, a co-author of the study who researches fluid dynamics at Yangzhou University, said.

The study highlights another risk as the U.S. and other countries continue to reopen, getting added onto enclosed spaces, crowds, contact with others and not following social distancing.

To do the study, the researchers used a fluid-dynamics model in order to be able to track the movement of droplets after a toilet has been flushed. From there, they observed that flushing a toilet creates a small turbulence that changes the airflow and results into a vortex that continues upward into the air via inertia.

"Therefore, an airflow vortex also appears in the air zone above the toilet seat," the researchers wrote.

As such, the researchers suggested that people should close the lid before they flush.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/health/medical/flushing-toilet-without-lid-on-could-spread-coronavirus-particles/ar-BB15ABQT?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 3
lamoe

Close lid - droplets land on underside of lid and seat - next person sits on it.

Gives "kiss my a$$"  a whole new meaning

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

Most public toilets I see don't even have a seat let alone a lid. At home I think we transmit plenty of our personal germs just sitting around and talking

• Like 2
DeedleNuts
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

I was reading that Sweden basically did nothing and hoped for 'Herd Immunity'! They have a huge dead pool because of this and half are the elderly in nursing homes that nobody tried to protect.

They're basically average for western EU and probably don't have any worries WRT a second or third wave. 

rfm010

Wonderful.  One more bit of good news to ponder while i --ahem-- sit here reading.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
6 hours ago, Dafey said:

Most public toilets I see don't even have a seat let alone a lid...

Well except for the nice pay to poop CR's at Ayala Center Cebu... :P

31313.jpg

• Like 2
mikecon3

So does this mean if you're in the province and flush the toilet with a bucket, you don't have anything to worry about?! :D

• Haha 1
to_dave007

Wait !!.  does his mean that peeing by the side of the road would spread the virus as well?

This could be the start of some REAL science.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Haha 3
Kreole

Long before Corona virus I thought everyone knew to close the lid before flushing.  However, many public toilets don't have covers, and some in the Philippines don't have seats, but that is not a problem because they don't flush anyway. 

When I was young and riding the train up up in the Andes, I had the runs and the toilet was an open 8" diameter hole in the floor of the train, so flush doesn't always apply.

Edited by Kreole
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
55 minutes ago, Kreole said:

When I was young and riding the train up up in the Andes, I had the runs and the toilet was an open 8" diameter hole in the floor of the train, so flush doesn't always apply.

But your aim does...

• Haha 1