Coronavirus Articles, Discussions and Questions

wondersailor
47 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Nobody talks about the common flu, no flight cancelled, no panic, no threads, but it infects 40m people every year and kills 60-70k.  Now that I call an epdidemic..There are several virus types and these mutate even faster...hmmm. people just like headlines I guess.

https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/

Here is the difference, actually 2 differences: people can have the virus, be without symptoms for up to 15 days, but be able to transmit it to others. The "common" flu would probably put you in bed by the time you can pass it on to others. We all have a natural aversion to people hacking, coughing and sneezing. With this virus, you can be having a light conversation with your neighbor, both happy and laughing, and guess what? You now have the virus. The second difference is this virus is 2 1/2 times more easily transmitted then the "common" flu. I think there plenty to be conserned about here.  

And what the fu.. are people eating bats for anyway. Is that the Chinese version of the Happy meal?

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Dafey

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Zealand locked down hard. https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/new-zealand-extends-snap-lockdown-covid-spreads-capital Comments following articles on Zerohedge are not moderated except for

This is a follow up to a Post I made regarding my nephew and Partner and child that had covide. He has improved that no oxygen is needed now but it did fall to 90% at one point...The child was on

From an on line Senior's website which I'm a Member  https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/health/covid19/glasses-cut-covid-infections-study? This although not conclusive I found interesting as

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

And what the fu.. are people eating bats for anyway. Is that the Chinese version of the Happy meal?

Looking at a FB video from a Chinese Wet Market 2 weeks ago - it's the year of the BBQ'ed Rat....

image.png.6d1c8acc401e3bbfcae56b27a3b838d3.png

and Bat, Snake, Dog, Cat .............anything that moves really.

The content was so disgusting I had to stop watching before halfway through. It did demonstrate why these wet markets need to be shut down. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for the Chinese Government and they'll stop the awful practice.

If not, pressure from other governments needs to be applied - seeing as we will all share in the resulting worldwide epidemic again........

Of course, China aren't the only ones with such disgusting markets - but they seem to be where the animal to human virus jump keeps happening most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trending now on Netflix is the new documentary series called "Epidemic".

Am only 3 episodes into it so far, but is a very interesting show outlining the work that happens in the background to always try to be as armed as possible before the next major outbreak.

It also explains how these viruses almost always use the path

wild animal -> livestock -> humans

They then constantly test and monitor the livestock for 'flu and other viruses - trying to get a heads-up before they reach the human population.

In this Coronavirus case, they were blindsided, because the wet market practice of selling and humans eating wild animals has cut out the middle layer of livestock - therefore removing that time buffer to detect it before it got into humans.....

They also stated that for the last 50 years almost all of these new virus strains have originated from China.... perhaps they'll cover off why in the next few episodes.

• Like 1

One of the FAQs "Is it safe to handle packages from China?"

Typ answer is - yes since it takes 3 days to get to US (very slow plane) and virus can't last more than 2 days?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/packages-coronavirus-china-safe-to-handle

A package from China takes at least three days to arrive in California, The Denver Post, citing UPS and FedEx estimates, reported. Though scientists are still working to understand the novel virus, it is closely related to SARS, which can live on surfaces for about two days, according to a 2003 University of Minnesota study.

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/salty-masks-kill-coronavirus/

Should you be in China right now, you'll see a lot of people wearing surgical masks to protect themselves against coronavirus. A Canadian scientist claims that such masks may actually do more harm than good, if handled improperly – so he's created a coating that could reportedly change that.

A biomedical engineer based out of the University of Alberta, Asst. Prof. Hyo-Jick Choi states that there are two main problems with using surgical masks for protection against coronavirus.

For one thing, they're only capable of capturing large airborne virus-laden water droplets. Respiratory viruses such as coronavirus, unfortunately, can also be spread via much smaller aerosol droplets, which are able to make their way through the masks' pores. Devices known as N95/N99 respirators are able to filter out aerosols, but they're not as breathable as masks, plus they're expensive and impractical for everyday use.

The other problem with masks lies in the fact that while they may trap some viruses, they don't kill them. As a result, when people remove and discard of used masks, the viruses could be transferred from those masks and onto their fingers or other commonly-touched surfaces.

With these problems in mind, Choi and colleagues designed a virus-killing coating that can be applied to conventional mask filtration material. He tells us that it's made up mainly of two salts – sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

When a droplet of any size comes into contact with the coating, the salts dissolve into it. As that droplet subsequently evaporates, the dissolved salts within it crystallize – the sharp edges of the crystals stab into any viruses that may be present, killing them.

"We’ve tested our system on three different influenza viruses and have shown that the virus on the surface of a coated contaminated mask is inactive within five minutes and completely destroyed within 30 minutes," says Choi. He believes that the technology should be equally effective against coronavirus.

The university is now looking for corporate partners to help commercialize the coating, with hopes of having a product on the market within 12 to 18 months. In the meantime, Choi recommends that users of conventional masks not touch the filtration material itself, always wash their hands before and after handling a mask, never store used masks in places such as pockets, and replace masks after each use.

The research is being funded by Mitacs, a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada. It's previously brought us things such as an augmented reality feedback system for the training of athletes, and a computer vision-based flight data recorder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Headshot

Pneumonia is one of the possible results of coronavirus, so it is true that people have been dying of pneumonia. Therefore, all pneumonia deaths should be counted as coronavirus deaths unless the virus has been ruled out by tests. Unfortunately, China likes to cover up anything negative, so that will never happen. Deaths will continue to be covered up as long as the CCP is in power.

• Like 1

The YTube channel 'Stranger than fiction news' is a bit of a conspiract theorist, long winded, and without references to the science journals he states information has come from which i find disapointing. Therefore I will not post his video. If interested, you can find it and sift through it yourselves. BUT... He does state the virus has HIV-1 dna sequeces in it causing aids type symptoms, reduced while cells, heart and cardio problems, etc which tends to explain the dropping of people in the streets. Oh, and they are 'sweeping' unconfirmed cases to the crematorium. So are we getting closer to it being manufactured? I expect so.

Still looking for references to the dna... The truth is out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its did not start in the market, and the numbers are wrong. But we all knew this already, yes?

Edited by Detour
add text
SkyMan
On 1/31/2020 at 12:02 PM, TheMatrix said:

Zhong Nanshan (a Chinese pulmonologist who discovered the SARS coronavirus in 2003) suggested simple ways to prevent Wuhan pneumonia:

It is recommended that you rinse your throat with light salt water before going to the hospital or other public places (and do the same after you return home). The method is as follows:

a) hold a mouthful of dilute salt water;
b) raise your head; let the salt water stay around your throat area
c) open your mouth slightly and exhale slowly, let air bubbling through the water in your throat and make a "ha" sound
d) spit out the salt water after a few seconds
e) repeat 3-5 times

Because viruses or bacteria lurk in the pharynx through the nasal passage, diluted salt water can kill them on the spot, thereby achieving the purpose of preventing infection. During SARS, I promoted and supervised this method among my students. As a result, none of our students in our class got cold, cough and fever.

This method is simple, effective, easy to do. But requires persevere.

Zhong Nanshan
January 21, 2020

(I'm just the messenger)

So then my mom wasn't crazy when like 50 years ago she was telling me to gargle salt water?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

According to another Bloomberg article earlier today, it is possible the coronavirus is pneumoenteric which means it can spread via the respiratory system and the gastrointestinal system. One possible factor at work in China is the continued use of squat toilets which can help spread bugs like this. I also recall in 2003 when I was living in Hong Kong the famous Amoy Gardens SARS outbreak that was traced to an individual with diaorhea and it spread via the aerosols from his bathroom into neighbouring flats infecting 100s.

As many squatter areas in the Philippines have only very basic washroom facilities and hygeine practices are probably pretty basic too, it is clear that if the virus were to spread widely here it could take quite a toll in these sorts of areas as well as spreading through the general population.

• Thanks 1
Headshot

This video talks about the level 4 biological lab in Wuhan. Something that I learned was that the lab has a history of accidental leaks, including the SARS virus. We already know the lab was studying the novel coronavirus, and we know that the initial cases of infection from the virus had no contact with the wet market the CCP blamed the virus on. It isn't much of a leap to conclude that the coronavirus was accidentally leaked from the lab in Wuhan. That might explain why the CCP banned anyone from the lab in Wuhan from doing any further research on the virus. They don't want the scientists and technicians from that lab talking to the media (or anybody else for that matter).