Soupeod

Who are the middle class - chart

Soupeod

I thought this chart was interesting for a discussion in lockdown. :)

5ABC0504-F7F3-4B85-A9B6-E3BE630FC058.jpeg

• Like 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Doesn't make sense to me.  The chart defines MIDDLE CLASS as a PER CAPITA income of 31,560 php to 78,900 php a month..  for a family of 5.. mom dad and 3 kids.. this would be a family income of 157,900 to 394,500 a month.  No way that is middle class.

I think where they say PER CAPITA it should say PER HOUSEHOLD 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4

Paddy

Actually @to_dave007 the Per Capita income is related to the “Poverty Threshold”. The poverty threshold would appear to be by individual and can thus be determined by dividing 7,890 by 5. 
An assumption on my part of course since the chart did not define either the poverty threshold or the per capita income. 
I might also be tempted to question the number of households in each class. My instincts suggest, for around here anyway, there are a lot more “poor” than  “low income” and “lower middle income”. 

• Like 2

bmoore
6 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I think where they say PER CAPITA it should say PER HOUSEHOLD 

For the range of monthly family incomes it does say for a family of 5.

• Like 1

user333
Posted (edited)

The information in that graphic came from a 2015 Rappler article. 

https://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/98624-who-are-middle-class

But the data was taken from a 2012 report. (PDF file at https://psa.gov.ph/content/2012-family-income-and-expenditure-survey) - possibly from pages 34, 35, and 43

In 2012, the poverty threshold for a family of five was 7,890 pesos per month. 

(https://psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/Report on the 2012 Full Year Poverty Statistics_0_0.pdf page 7)

That matches what this graphic shows. If you are in a family of five, and total earnings from all family members is below 7,890 pesos per month, you are in poverty.  

In 2006, the poverty threshold for a family of five was 5,566 pesos per month. 

In 2018, the poverty threshold for a family of five increased to 10,481 pesos per month. 

I'm estimating that by next year, it will be around 12,000 pesos per month. 

21.5 million is their total number of households * 5 members per household  = 107.5 million people 

That seems a little high for 2012. The estimated population was only 97.21 million then.

The Rappler articles expands on the "per capita" confusion (I agree that they should have used per household) a little bit more:

"This means that a household of five persons would be considered middle class if its total monthly family income in 2012 ranged from about four times the government’s official poverty line, i.e., about 30 thousand (31,580) peso to ten times the poverty line, i.e. nearly 80 thousand (78,895) pesos."

So each member in a middle class family would be making at least 6,312 pesos per month.

5 members  *  6,312 pesos = 31,560 pesos

Edited by user333
  • Thanks 2

Daddle
Posted (edited)

Hmmm. I have a friend who is a "Rich" guy by the chart. But he lives in a tiny bahay kubo with dirt, dogs and chickens all around. He seems happy enough with his beautiful loving wife. How would he bring up with the wife the subject of an upgrade to the habitation. Asking for the friend.

Edited by Daddle

smokey
2 hours ago, Daddle said:

Hmmm. I have a friend who is a "Rich" guy by the chart. But he lives in a tiny bahay kubo with dirt, dogs and chickens all around. He seems happy enough with his beautiful loving wife. How would he bring up with the wife the subject of an upgrade to the habitation. Asking for the friend.

And the other way i see a few in the lower bracket with 5 million peso suv. So always an extream or two.   How about warren buffet

Edwin
6 hours ago, smokey said:

And the other way i see a few in the lower bracket with 5 million peso suv. So always an extream or two.   How about warren buffet

Margaritaville is my favorite.  

• Haha 5

Province-life

More than I'd expect in the upper income & rich to be honest considering it's 8 years old. My wifes got 3 friends who are operations managers for US companies managing 100-150 employees each and they'd barely be in the 'upper middle income' if it was updated to 2020 figures.

• Like 1