Jump to content

Posting Links Only as a Thread or Post


Salty Dog

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I've been getting more complaints about this than any other item. Some members, myself included are getting tired of seeing a post that contains only a link. If you took the time to find an article and read it, then you should have the time to cut and paste it in the post. It appears that some members have a habit of doing this for many of their post. Luckily, most members never do this.

If someone starts a thread or post that only contains a link, than at the prerogative of staff, it's either fixed or deleted. This has been a long standing rule from Paul's time. It rarely occurs though, since most members have the courtesy to include the article. 

The reason most often used for members who regularly post links only, is that they are on a smart phone or tablet and it's too difficult. Well I do half of my work on the forum from a phone and there is very little I can't do. I can cut and paste articles and their accompanying photos. I've noticed that some members who only post links, are formatting their post, using features that are only available with the desktop version of the forum. Having the ability and knowledge to format your post, would seem to indicate there is no excuses for not including the article in your post.

Posting a link with just a few non descriptive words like "read this" or "check this out", isn't acceptable either.

At the very least, post the title of the article and a paragraph or two from the article to get the main point across.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

It appears my gentle nudge to stop creating posts with just a link by itself hasn't worked.

So let's try this another way. You're being forewarned.

If someone creates a post with just a link by itself. There is a good chance that the post will be hidden. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

It's now getting out of hand. The amount of posts with just a link has increased significantly since I started this thread.

Since nothing else seems to work, we will just start deleting the posts...:baseballbat:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
On 4/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, Salty Dog said:

I've been getting more complaints about this than any other item. Some members, myself included are getting tired of seeing a post that contains only a link. If you took the time to find an article and read it, then you should have the time to cut and paste it in the post. It appears that some members have a habit of doing this for many of their post. Luckily, most members never do this.

If someone starts a thread or post that only contains a link, than at the prerogative of staff, it's either fixed or deleted. This has been a long standing rule from Paul's time. It rarely occurs though, since most members have the courtesy to include the article. 

The reason most often used for members who regularly post links only, is that they are on a smart phone or tablet and it's too difficult. Well I do half of my work on the forum from a phone and there is very little I can't do. I can cut and paste articles and their accompanying photos. I've noticed that some members who only post links, are formatting their post, using features that are only available with the desktop version of the forum. Having the ability and knowledge to format your post, would seem to indicate there is no excuses for not including the article in your post.

At the very least, post a paragraph or two from the article to get the main point across.

Posting a link with just a few non descriptive words like "read this" or "check this out", isn't acceptable either.

 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:44 AM, Salty Dog said:

It appears my gentle nudge to stop creating posts with just a link by itself hasn't worked.

So let's try this another way. You're being forewarned.

If someone creates a post with just a link by itself. There is a good chance that the post will be hidden. 

 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:08 AM, Salty Dog said:

It's now getting out of hand. The amount of posts with just a link has increased significantly since I started this thread.

Since nothing else seems to work, we will just start deleting the posts...:baseballbat:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

A forum I used to belong to for years was removed from the Google search list for posting whole articles from exterior websites without permission. (just the same as here)
There is no exact % of what can be copied and posted with or without a link with or without quote tag..
My best guess is no more than a 3rd of the original article.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
On 9/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, fred42 said:

A forum I used to belong to for years was removed from the Google search list for posting whole articles from exterior websites without permission. (just the same as here)
There is no exact % of what can be copied and posted with or without a link with or without quote tag..
My best guess is no more than a 3rd of the original article.

Someone mentions something about copyright issues every few years.

Members have been posting full articles on LinC for over 15 years with no problems.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, Salty Dog said:

At the very least, post the title of the article and a paragraph or two from the article to get the main point across.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
On 4/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, Salty Dog said:

I've been getting more complaints about this than any other item. Some members, myself included are getting tired of seeing a post that contains only a link. If you took the time to find an article and read it, then you should have the time to cut and paste it in the post. It appears that some members have a habit of doing this for many of their post. Luckily, most members never do this.

If someone starts a thread or post that only contains a link, than at the prerogative of staff, it's either fixed or deleted. This has been a long standing rule from Paul's time. It rarely occurs though, since most members have the courtesy to include the article. 

Posting a link with just a few non descriptive words like "read this" or "check this out", isn't acceptable either.

At the very least, post the title of the article and a paragraph or two from the article to get the main point across.

 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:44 AM, Salty Dog said:

It appears my gentle nudge to stop creating posts with just a link by itself hasn't worked.

So let's try this another way. You're being forewarned.

If someone creates a post with just a link by itself. There is a good chance that the post will be hidden. 

 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:08 AM, Salty Dog said:

It's now getting out of hand. The amount of posts with just a link has increased significantly since I started this thread.

Since nothing else seems to work, we will just start deleting the posts...:baseballbat:

If you've been finding some of your posts missing, this could be why… 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

This isn't up for debate.

Members should also know by now that commenting on staff or how the forum is run isn't up for discussion in posts on the forum.

 

On 1/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, Member #1 said:

12. Forum Staff and Members

  • Administrators / Moderators - Each of the staff know their respective duties and what is required of them to help maintain order on the forums. If you have an issue with one of the Staff, contact an Administrator via a PM to sort out your issue. Do not post your issues on the forum. Doing so will result in a warning with a suspension or banning.
  • Forum Members - Please leave moderating to the staff. If you believe a topic or post violates the rules, click the "report" button at the top right corner of the post. Alternatively, you may send a PM to one of the moderators or administrators on the site. Please include a link to the post in question. Do not police the forum yourself, as that often leads to arguments, flaming, and someone getting a warning or banned. If you have an issue with the forum or how the forum is being managed, contact one of the staff via a PM. Do not post your issues on the forum. Doing so will result in a warning with a suspension or banning.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...