Salty Dog

Posting Links Only as a Thread or Post

Salty Dog

I've been getting more complaints about this than any other item. Some members, myself included are getting tired of seeing a post that contains only a link. If you took the time to find an article and read it, then you should have the time to cut and paste it in the post. It appears that some members have a habit of doing this for many of their post. Luckily, most members never do this.

If someone starts a thread that only contains a link, than at the prerogative of staff, it's either fixed or deleted. This has been a long standing rule from Paul's time. It rarely occurs though, since most members have the courtesy to include the article. 

The reason most often used for members who regularly post links only, is that they are on a smart phone or tablet and it's too difficult. Well I do half of my work on the forum from a phone and there is very little I can't do. I can cut and paste articles and their accompanying photos. I've noticed that some members who only post links, are formatting their post, using features that are only available with the desktop version of the forum. Having the ability and knowledge to format your post, would seem to indicate there is no excuses for not including the article in your post.

Here is a thread discussing what could be an alternative. Especially if it's a large or has complex formatting. I would not consider it a regular substitute for posting the actual article though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cgu

I would like to see that for videos posted as well, as just posting a link to a 50min video on YouTube is just a waste of space. Of course in satire or funny side threads that would not apply.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Salty Dog

It appears my gentle nudge to stop creating posts with just a link by itself hasn't worked.

So let's try this another way. You're being forewarned.

If someone creates a post with just a link by itself. There is a good chance that the post will be hidden. 

• Thanks 1

Soupeod
12 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

It appears my gentle nudge to stop creating posts with just a link by itself hasn't worked.

So let's try this another way. You're being forewarned.

If someone creates a post with just a link by itself. There is a good chance that the post will be hidden. 

@Salty Dog, just adding a thought for you Admins and Mods.

For example I noticed when I did have FB installed, I saw everything.  Without FB installed I only saw links.

This forum software might have some other features.

Salty Dog
26 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

@Salty Dog, just adding a thought for you Admins and Mods.

For example I noticed when I did have FB installed, I saw everything.  Without FB installed I only saw links.

This forum software might have some other features.

Are you talking about on a phone or PC?

I use to find the article or YouTube video that the FB article/ link was refering to and replace it in the post. Got tired of doing this though, when it could have been done by the member who posted it.

Besides most of the link only post are not FB links. Most are news articles.

Soupeod
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Are you talking about on a phone or PC?

I use to find the article or YouTube video that the FB article/ link was refering to and replace it in the post. Got tired of doing this though, when it could have been done by the member who posted it.

Besides most of the link only post are not FB links. Most are news articles.

Yea, phones and PCs.

Ah to the news articles. Roger and will do.

Salty Dog

It's now getting out of hand. The amount of posts with just a link has increased significantly since I started this thread.

Since nothing else seems to work, we will just start deleting the posts...:baseballbat:

• Like 1

cookie47

Well I posted a link yesterday (regarding Qantas) and honestly I  forgot about the previous "Warning "However I tried many times to post the area of interest of the article BUT, after highlighting the area of interest I could not get the "copy/ paste / select all menu option to activate. So, I decided to post the link. Which I forgot was against the rules...:sad_01:

I'm 99% using a smartphone and on most occasions I DO get the copy/cut and paste menu..I'm somewhat suspicious that maybe some News websites may disable this feature. (If that's all possible? ) .

Ozepete
13 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Well I posted a link yesterday (regarding Qantas) and honestly I  forgot about the previous "Warning "However I tried many times to post the area of interest of the article BUT, after highlighting the area of interest I could not get the "copy/ paste / select all menu option to activate. So, I decided to post the link. Which I forgot was against the rules...:sad_01:

I'm 99% using a smartphone and on most occasions I DO get the copy/cut and paste menu..I'm somewhat suspicious that maybe some News websites may disable this feature. (If that's all possible? ) .

I think you're right Cookie.  When they won't allow copy of an item I just 'print the page' then paste onto a 'word' or 'paint',  trim the item to suit then save onto the  desktop as ... whatever then copy and paste from there. 

• Like 2

SkyMan

I did one earlier today.  A pdf file on the BI website.  Tried several ways to get it to upload and a screen shot wasn't very readable.  I see someone put it in for me (Thanks) or maybe the system finally picked it up.  Figured the title explained what was in the link.

• Like 1

Salty Dog
On 5/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, SkyMan said:

...I see someone put it in for me (Thanks)...

You're welcome...:P

• Like 1