Why is Filipino cuisine not more popular worldwide?

lamoe

Have eaten food both original preparation (Bohol) -  some very good  / most not (overdone - lacking flavor) and same at home with different spices mainly - even her ugly fish head soup broth is great.

• Thanks 1
liquido

IMHO,putting it nicely,without going into detail, other countries native foods that I have tasted, taste so much better...

• Like 5
rizla

I would. think it is the sugar added to pretty much everything, most countries see sugar as something added to a desert not a savoury (meat based) dish.

Without the sugar most Filipino food is delicious, especially Bangus and adobo.

• Like 1
Ozepete

Seeing the lack of food hygiene and proper handling at open and super markets tends to dampen my hunger. 

• Like 5
BossHog
2 hours ago, rizla said:

I would. think it is the sugar added to pretty much everything, most countries see sugar as something added to a desert not a savoury (meat based) dish.

Without the sugar most Filipino food is delicious

Think you're on to something here. I have a large collection of older Filipino cookbooks and also get in the modern food mags and peruse sites like Yummy and Pepper There's a huge difference in palate preference between traditional and modern Filipino cooking. The former was much more suited to Western/global tastes but was seriously labor intensive preparation-wise. The sugar seems to me a short-cut substitute for the flavors you build with stocks, simmering, and braising etc.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
Gus
Without the sugar most Filipino food is delicious, especially Bangus and adobo.
There's sugar added in most Thai food also , and it's a cuisine that is celebrated internationally .
( I'm guessing to balance off the chilli/ fish sauce etc )

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Swissrider
Have eaten food both original preparation (Bohol) -  some very good  / most not (overdone - lacking flavor) and same at home with different spices mainly - even her ugly fish head soup broth is great.

Simple answer: I doesn't taste good. The Filipinos are even messing up our own food. Did you ever eat Spaghetti Bolognese in Jollibee ? If yes, then you know. They are adding sugar to the meat. Super YAKS.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Haha 2
RogerDuMond
6 minutes ago, Swissrider said:

Simple answer: I doesn't taste good.

You shouldn't generalize like that. Filipino food that has the correct spices and is cooked properly can be excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 minute ago, RogerDuMond said:

You shouldn't generalize like that. Filipino food that has the correct spices and is cooked properly can be excellent.

Roger's wife made him say that...:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
lamoe
2 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Very true - many cooks here have no experience with seasonings and are very leery of the quality of meat.

When I made Sus Vide pork chops (165 F) she would not eat them at first.

arentol

I've noticed that most Filipinos don't have any knowledge of the curing process. Any time I've purchased ham, or slices of ham, a Filipina will promptly fry the hell out of it until it's a burned, oily mess. When they see me eating sliced ham directly from the package, they look at me like they've seen a zombie chowing-down on a corpse. 

Many Filipino foods are actually extremely tasty and I very much enjoy them, such as sinigang, humba, and varieties of pinaputok na isda.

I've traveled all over the country and it's interesting to see the regional variations, which can often be confusing. E.g., "Bibingka" in Ilocos Sur is "Cassava Cake" in Visayas. There's also similar issues with Bulalo/Pochero and Adobo/Humba.

For me, I think authentic Filipino cuisine tastes great, but it's overshadowed by common street food and fast eats that rely on overcooking and oils.

Also Filipinos just can't wrap their head around modern day marketing. Thai and Vietnamese cuisine has run circles around Philippine cuisine. Instead of touting their amazing fish and native recipes, the "foody" scene in Philippines has been stuck on the "Adobo vs Lechon" debate for decades.

If you guys haven't explored the country and tried the variety of cuisines, I heartily recommend it.

Aren

• Like 7
RogerDuMond
On 4/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, Salty Dog said:

Roger's wife made him say that...:P

Did She tell you that, she is actually only a few miles away from you.

• Like 3
MarinePride

I absolutely love the food here, in fact it's the only thing I care for.  Lumpia Shanghai and chilli sauce is the best.  

• Administrator
Salty Dog
22 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

I absolutely love the food here, in fact it's the only thing I care for.  Lumpia Shanghai and chilli sauce is the best.  

You really are a Marine… :biggrin_01:

• Haha 1
Soupeod
On 4/12/2020 at 5:28 PM, BossHog said:

Think you're on to something here. I have a large collection of older Filipino cookbooks and also get in the modern food mags and peruse sites like Yummy and Pepper There's a huge difference in palate preference between traditional and modern Filipino cooking. The former was much more suited to Western/global tastes but was seriously labor intensive preparation-wise. The sugar seems to me a short-cut substitute for the flavors you build with stocks, simmering, and braising etc.

Plus all the fried foods!  BBQ or grilling is ok, but cooking it all in nasty oil... no thanks.

• Like 3