Sending money to rural areas during quarantine

mikecon3

We sent our usual monthly wire transfer a week ago from Saudi to Cebuana Lhullier in Placer, Masbate. Evidently, it can't be picked up because they don't have enough money to cover it, no cash coming in since the roads are all blocked. They said they are disbursing cash if the amount is under 10,000p.  Just letting anyone know in case they need to send money out to the far reaches of the realm so they can plan accordingly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Paddy

There are no ATMs in Mobo (Masbate) to my knowledge so I sent cash to myself via WorldRemit and the Palawan Pawnshops network. 
No trouble with the cash amount (>20k) but the closest store turned out to do only local transfers and not international ones. Fortunately there is a “main” store a bit further away but still within Mobo. Ten times the customers of course!😀

@mikecon3 I think cash is still moving around. I’m sure it’s a permitted, essential activity. While I was out I saw one armoured car on the road (vehicle pass taped to the outside of the driver’s door - good until it rains!). 
The alternative of multiple 10k remittances is just racking up the fees...

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
51 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I think cash is still moving around.

depends on how deep in the province you are

• Like 1
Paddy
44 minutes ago, Dafey said:

depends on how deep in the province you are

True - but this island is not that big!😀 

My money (no pun intended) would be on a logistic failure rather than “an essential service with all the right passes can’t get through”.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

The ATMs in our little town have dried up of money. Haven't tried the pawn shops yet but right now we are good.

The credit/debit machine at the local grocery store broke 2 weeks ago. They can't get someone from Ormoc to come fix it because they an't get through the check points.

to_dave007

Sent money online from HSBC n the city to UCPB in Tuburan..  about 1KM from me.  So.. so long as UCPB has money we're ok.  Glad to hear armored cars moving.

mikecon3

They got the money, Cebuana Lhullier called and told them they had the money. Nice living in a small town where everyone knows each other! Since we are at the very end of the road in Masbate, it probably just took time for them to get passes sorted out and to get caught up.

As far as I know, there is only one ATM in Placer, Development Bank; and that has happened in the last couple of years...next thing you know, we'll have a traffic light!

Paddy
30 minutes ago, mikecon3 said:

next thing you know, we'll have a traffic light!

Even Masbate City doesn’t have a traffic light!!🤣

It was tried a year or so ago to manage a construction one-way. Total disaster. Motor cyclists refused to obey it. Others obviously didn’t know what it meant!

• Like 1
sierra01

Ok I'm only supporting one person but right at the start of this i sent my other half a good wad through BC Remit and told her to keep drawing it until she has all the cash, which she's done.  She's in Mandaue so ATM problems shouldn't be an issue, if it becomes one then she's ok.  She's sent money to Bantayan and her Brother had no problem drawing it all out, if the virus hangs around too long then maybe getting cash might be a problem there as well.

Paddy

As long as the open, essential businesses, banks and supporting companies (security, armoured cars etc) keep the cash circulating the situation should be no worse than “usual”. 

The issues are going to be:

- is there an ATM / pawnshop within the area that you can get to?

- does the ATM/Pawnshop have cash when you go to get it?

- does the “system” operate at the same frequency (resupply etc)?

- are ATMs and other machines able to be serviced if/when required?

The distribution of the Social Amelioration funds (the 5-8k) is likely to cause a spike demand on the general availability of cash. Especially if the circulating system has slowed down for quarantine. 

Hmmm - maybe I’d better send myself some more before those 5ks hit Mobo!😀

• Like 2
BossHog
14 hours ago, Paddy said:

The issues are going to be:

- is there an ATM / pawnshop within the area that you can get to?

- does the ATM/Pawnshop have cash when you go to get it?

- does the “system” operate at the same frequency (resupply etc)?

- are ATMs and other machines able to be serviced if/when required?

This begs the question "If you're not fully prepared to go cash-less and store-less for the next few months what exactly have you been doing recently?" We've had what I consider an adequate amount of warning time to prepare for this.

• Thanks 1
lamoe
8 minutes ago, BossHog said:

This begs the question "If you're not fully prepared to go cash-less and store-less for the next few months what exactly have you been doing recently?" We've had what I consider an adequate amount of warning time to prepare for this.

Cashless - not a problem  - place not big enough to store several months food / water  - 3 weeks easy, even a month can probably do.

Of course if does get that bad will lose power also .

Not sure I'd survive if she:devil: lost phone / internet

Edited by lamoe
BossHog
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

Of course if does get that bad will lose power also

That would make you pretty much the only foreigner in d'Phils without some operating generators.

• Like 1
lamoe

19th floor - wouldn't power elevator :rolleyes:

to_dave007

Local coconut bank..  UCPB..  had money yesterday.. Reduced operating hours.. and sanitizer at entrance..  and big plastic sheets hanging from ceiling to create a makeshift barrier..  but otherwise business as usual.  30 people queued for the ATM outside.

• Like 1