JonnyBravo

Social Security Disability Question

JonnyBravo

Greetings all, 

So I reached out to a Social Security Disability lawyer (https://www.midwestdisability.com/ if you're interested in who). I asked the question how do I go about applying for disability and this is the response I got in return "I received your inquiry and I wanted to let you know that to receive disability benefits you must live in the United States." 

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a loophole?  Thanks!

smokey

To apply you need to live usa and it takes about a year if granted. Then you can leave ssd is based on your not able to find work due to your injury so how can they determin that if you dont live usa

• Like 1

Taz

You can apply for SSDI while living in The Philippines just contact the US Embassy in Manila. Now might not be the best time to do this with the Corona virus issues.

• Like 1

smokey

Has anyone received ssdi for the usa while living here give it a try nothing to loose just to me seems hard to do ssdi is based on your disability preventing you from working gainfully..  Better he go to usa and do the process then come back but i could be wrong

USMC-Retired

You can apply on line.  However your DLI (date last insured) will determine eligibility. You had to have worked 5 of the last 10 years.  If not you are not qualified.  You can obtain this information at SSA.gov under My Social Security.  If you have not worked 5 of 10 then you would only qualify for SSIDI a needs based program that you must live in the US to receive.   

You must contact the Federal Benifits Unit in Manila to apply if you chose not online.

[email protected]ssa.gov

Phone 632-5301-2000

Note all SSA offices are closed to foot traffic however the phones are manned.  

• Like 1

smokey

Well tim comes thru with the correct ans.    Hey tim 

USMC-Retired
9 hours ago, smokey said:

Well tim comes thru with the correct ans.    Hey tim 

Hey how are you?  Life good here.. 

lamoe

Side note about applying - ex wife had HAE which for her was 100% debilitating and listed as a SSDI valid disease - tried several times - rejected - even with several Docs getting involved - finally hired lawyer  - 2 months later approved retroactively :scratch_head:.

So, even if initially rejected, don't give up, date of 1st application counts if finally approved

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Consider how they consider SSDI benifits.  Example: An attorney that is involved in a car accident confined to a wheelchair and a truck driver the same injury.  The attorney may not get approved but the truck driver would.  The reason is the ability to do the job they had been doing.

As for attorneys, when someone is denied you ask for a reconsideration. That is done independently of the initial decision.  The attorney has very little to do with that or the decision to follow.   Now if that is denied it goes to hearing and the average wait to hearing is one year. Attorneys can be very helpful there (not required).  

• Like 2

Dafey

Good to hear from you Tim. Thanks for the input.

• Thanks 1

lamoe
26 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

As for attorneys, when someone is denied you ask for a reconsideration. That is done independently of the initial decision.  The attorney has very little to do with that or the decision to follow.   Now if that is denied it goes to hearing and the average wait to hearing is one year. Attorneys can be very helpful there (not required).  

Agreed - shouldn't be  - that's how the system should work - tried 3 times - each time getting more medical experts involved  - problem was HAE affects maybe 1 in 150,000 - final doc was brother of US senator from Rockford area, that might  have helped?