USA Coronavirus Bill's Stimulus Payments (Updated May 2021)

HeyMike
33 minutes ago, redboy said:

can you say if this or either account is a bank in the Philippines? I am eligible and waiting, but not sure why I'm waiting as I may not get a deposit to a foreign bank. it has never been confirmed on either SS website or the IRS site.

The direct deposit payments that I mentioned are for US banks in New Jersey. It may be a long shot to get a direct deposit in a Philippine bank, but I do not know. It would be good to hear from anyone who has received a direct payment in a Philippine bank.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redboy

• Beserker101

• Salty Dog

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advice for Americans getting Stimulus payments   Q: What is an Economic Stimulus payment? A: It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers. Q: Where will the governme

Well then, she can kiss the new scooter goodbye.

Our stimulus checks are pending in our account, are set to post on. Jan 4

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

These are excerpts from the following article: The IRS Wants Some People to Mail Back Their Stimulus Checks

...Recently, the IRS tried to clarify one of the more puzzling matters: What should you do if a stimulus check was issued to a dead person?

It’s unclear how many widows and other family members of the recently deceased are in this situation right now. But on May 6, the IRS added new language to its FAQ page for Economic Impact Payments (a.k.a. stimulus checks), stating that people who have died are not eligible for payments.

In fact, checks issued to dead people are supposed to be sent back or repaid. Here’s exactly what the IRS says:

A Payment made to someone who died before receipt of the Payment should be returned to the IRS by following the instructions in the Q&A about repayments. Return the entire Payment unless the Payment was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment, in which case, you only need to return the portion of the Payment made on account of the decedent. This amount will be $1,200 unless adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000...

...Who Else Is Not Eligible for a Stimulus Check?

As of May 6, the IRS also clarified that a couple other groups of people are not eligible for stimulus payments, and that any such payments should be returned: “aliens” (a.k.a. non-citizens) who are either nonresidents or non-qualifying residents.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, the IRS considers you to be an alien. Nonresident aliens, or undocumented immigrants, are not eligible for payments. (Take note that some independent coronavirus relief funds are providing emergency aid for people who fall into this category.) Resident aliens are eligible for payments only if they have a valid Social Security number and are considered “qualifying” by the IRS — typically meaning you have a green card and/or have lived in the U.S. at least 31 days this year and 183 days over the previous three years. (Here’s more about how the IRS determines tax status for aliens, and definitions of things like resident aliens vs. nonresident aliens)...

This seems to say that having a green card and Social Security number does not in itself qualify an alien to receive the payment. Such as in a case where your spouse use to live in the USA, but has since moved back to the Philippines and no longer meets the domicile requirements. Unless of course he/she became a US Citizen.

It's already been pointed out that if your an American citizen, with children that are American citizens, and you're married to a Nonresident Alien, that if you file a joint return, your family is not entitled to a stimulus payment.

According to the law, any family that files taxes with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, cannot receive an Economic Impact Payment — unless one spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-20/u-s-citizens-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-spouses-immigrants

• Thanks 1
HeyMike

In my opinion, if a dead person votes, that dead person should be eligible for the stimulation. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
battleborn

Still waiting for my direct deposit.  Haven't filed a return since 2014.  My social security has been via direct deposit since 2013.

2 hours ago, battleborn said:

Still waiting for my direct deposit.  Haven't filed a return since 2014.  My social security has been via direct deposit since 2013.

US or Philippine bank?

Next batch of payments due this 14th or 15th, not sure which group it applies to.

• Like 1
battleborn
22 hours ago, redboy said:

US or Philippine bank?

US bank

• 2 weeks later...
Panzertotem

I am a US Resident on Social Security. I was told I didnt need to file as SSI is my only source of income.. however..

I still haven't gotten the coronavirus stimulus payment.

Is this because I receive the direct deposit in my Philippine bank account? Any info is much appreciated.

Regards.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Beserker101
On 5/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, Panzertotem said:

I am a US Resident on Social Security. I was told I didnt need to file as SSI is my only source of income.. however..

Is this because I receive the direct deposit in my Philippine bank account? Any info is much appreciated.

Regards.

I just read an article that says only 30% of expats have received the actual paper stimulus check-

Regards.

Your a US resident? or citizen living in the Phils.

I have been trying to find an answer to the question of expats living in the Philippines on SS getting direct deposit to a Philippine bank account  for months, so far no body knows, and I too have not received a deposit or check. Seems to be a black hole, and I gave up trying to find out.

mikecon3

I've been seeing this pop up on facebook and news feeds the past week, and saw that it is actually a thing. I cut and pasted the gist of it, hope I did it correctly. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/check-your-junk-mail-4-million-americans-are-getting-their-stimulus-payments-as-prepaid-debit-cards-not-checks-2020-05-27

Don’t toss that junk mail in the recycling bin just yet
it might contain your stimulus check in the form of a prepaid debit card

Some 4 million Americans are getting government-issued economic-impact cards in plain white envelopes, which some people have thrown away by mistake

Don’t throw away that junk mail — or you might throw away your stimulus payment.

The U.S. Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service began sending out Economic Impact Payments as prepaid debit cards last week. So almost 4 million Americans still waiting for their cut of the $2.2 trillion CARES Act can expect to get their stimulus money in the form of an EIP Card, as opposed to a paper check.

Problem is, these Visa cards are being issued by MetaBank (the Treasury’s financial agent) and delivered in plain envelopes from Money Network Cardholder Services — neither of which is a familiar name for most of us. So reports of people mistaking these for preapproved credit-card junk mail, or even a scam, have been popping up across the country. And, in some cases, people have even thrown away the debit cards containing their long-awaited stimulus money before they realized their mistake.

So if you’re still awaiting your stimulus payment, visit the online Get My Payment tool to find the projected date when a direct deposit has been scheduled, or when your payment will be mailed by check or prepaid debit card.

And here’s some important things you need to know about the prepaid debit cards, including what they look like, how they can be used — and where there could be hidden fees. You can also see an exhaustive list of questions and answers at the EIP Card website eipcard.com/faq or by calling customer service at 1-800-240-8100.

Who’s getting a debit card?

Nearly 4 million people will receive a prepaid debit card instead of a paper check, which was determined by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, another part of the Treasury Department that works with the IRS to handle distribution of the payments. In some cases, people who qualified for an Economic Impact Payment, but whose bank account information was not on file with the IRS, received a debit card in lieu of a check or a direct deposit.

How will I receive my card, and what does it look like?

The EIP Cards are being sent to the most recent mailing address filed with the IRS. The cards will arrive in a plain envelope from Money Network Cardholder Services. The Visa name will appear on the front of the card, and the back of the card will feature the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank, N.A. The Welcome Packet will include information explaining that the card is an Economic Impact Payment Card.

Check it out:

MW-IH305_Screen_20200527191702_NS.png
Behold the EIP Card, a prepaid debit card containing one’s stimulus payment.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
33 minutes ago, mikecon3 said:

I cut and pasted the gist of it, hope I did it correctly. 

Great job weeding out the highlights from such a convoluted article. Hope you don't mind that I added the photo of the card...

• Thanks 2
mikecon3
5 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Great job weeding out the highlights from such a convoluted article. Hope you don't mind that I added the photo of the card...

Thank you very much, looks 100% better after you fixed it! Sorry for causing you extra work, I'll get this posting stuff figured out sooner rather than later!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Regards.

finally the answer to our question regarding Philippine bank accounts and direct deposit.

If I live outside the United States and not in a U.S. Territory, how and when will I get my economic impact payment (EIP)?

Social Security beneficiaries with a foreign address whose monthly benefit is deposited in a foreign bank will receive their EIP by paper check in the mail, because the IRS does not deposit money into foreign accounts. The IRS anticipates it will start mailing these EIPs no later than July 24. Beneficiaries living abroad who receive their monthly benefit through a domestic bank should receive their EIP by direct deposit to that same account on or about July 24.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Panzertotem

I called the IRS and was told that the international department would be handling it. They said I was eligible to receive the Stimulus Check but that it hasn't been sent out yet. 

I reside in the Philippines and  have a Philippine address and bank account.  Social Security is deposited in the Philippine bank account. 

Please advise,