USA Coronavirus Bill's Stimulus Payments (Updated May 2021)

• Administrator
Salty Dog
58 minutes ago, Chris24 said:

Hopefully Mrs. Salty doesn't read the forum...... or check the bank account.  Or keep tabs on what you may have bought recently.  So many ways to have a windfall slip away like that. 

She was the one that told me it was in OUR account. If only I was a frugal as she is... :thumbsup:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redboy

• Beserker101

• Salty Dog

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advice for Americans getting Stimulus payments   Q: What is an Economic Stimulus payment? A: It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers. Q: Where will the governme

Well then, she can kiss the new scooter goodbye.

Our stimulus checks are pending in our account, are set to post on. Jan 4

Posted Images

liquido

Thanks Joe..I also got mine this morning plus my state tax check,feds a few weeks back.....

SkyMan

Still waiting on my 2019 refund....

Irenicus

United States Stimulus Eligibility Questions for "Mixed Status" American Couples Filing Jointly

Imma bit confused as to the whole married to a non-citizen/non-resident foreign spouse as it applies to eligibility to the third round of stimulus.  

From my little bit of research, it looks like 'mixed status' married couples filing jointly have the advantage this time of getting another $1400 of printed up paper scraps for your wife/hubby just so long as your foreign spouse has an ITIN number (easy enough to get).  Basically, only one of you has to have a SS number/citizenship when you file jointly.

It ALSO seems that they are making this RETROACTIVE to include the second stimulus payment and maybe the first. 

We also just got our baby daughter her CRBA form filled out in Cebu to start her Angry American citizen process, but it will take a while as it still has a number of stages to go through.  I am wondering if I can also get her an ITIN number by the May 17 deadline (actually, the gov owes me this year, so I can file late without any worry.)  I guess I could just call em and ask....

Since we are not starving, most of whatever stimulus our family gets will be going to purchases for US goods and some investments.

And a bit of beer.

And a few packs of smokes.

Oh, and on top of all this, there is now a child tax credit that will be going out multiple times a year?????

Is that useless Canuck Davenao still on the forum, and is he a bona fide Jewish lawyer?

(Are Jews allowed in Canada?)

If some enlightened genius has some more information on this, please let us know.

• 1 month later...
michaeljulie

Hi my name is Michael I'm 78 year old American expat living in Cebu for 20 years. I been married to my Filipina wife Julie for 30 years, she has US citizenship and a social security number. I receive SSI to my bank account in Usa. I received all 3 stimulus payments and want to apply for my wife. We are both non filer. I went to the IRS. gov website but don't know where to start. Can someone familiar with my situation give me advice? How do I proceed for my wife? 

Thanks in advance 

SkyMan

No idea really but perhaps filing a 2019 and 2020 tax return would shake it loose? (Even though you don't owe anything or get anything back.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Chris24
On 3/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, Salty Dog said:

She was the one that told me it was in OUR account. If only I was a frugal as she is... :thumbsup:

Is she an Ilokana (like my wife?)

Chris24
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

No idea really but perhaps filing a 2019 and 2020 tax return would shake it loose? (Even though you don't owe anything or get anything back.)

Michael, this was going to be my suggestion too.  I had already received partial stimulus amounts, but filing the 2020 tax return shook loose a bit of extra money as our 2020 income was a bit lower than 2019 on which the preliminary stimulus amounts were based.   The tax software I used for 2020 asks you to enter the amounts you received during the various stimulus rounds, and then calculates what you are due now based on your actual filing (but if you were overpaid you don't have to pay anything back).    So in your situation if you file joint returns for 2019 and 2020 even though no tax is due, that should accomplish three things;  letting the IRS know about your wife, calculate the stimulus amount(s) due for her, and also let you enter your direct deposit info for payment of any stimulus amount(s) due.  My situation was a bit different from yours in that the IRS already knew about my wife, it was only our income that had changed, so I'm only thinking that this "might" work for you.  But it sure does seem a likely place to start.

• Thanks 2
redboy

just today got my third and last stimulus check by mail via the Embassy in Manila. I had to open a US dollar account to deposit the checks but other than that no issues.  I'm single non file individual, and normally have my SSI payments direct deposited to my Philippine bank account, if that helps anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
stuckoutside
Posted (edited)

@Michaeljulie

Since you are married, do you file a joint return? If so, you should have received a couple-sized stimulus ($2400, then $1200, then another $2800). If you are married but filing separately, then you (husband) would have gotten only half of these amounts.

To get the rest, wife needs to file a 2000 tax return. She needs to include the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet with this return. She'll put on the worksheet that she didn't receive anything and will get the stimuli (stimuluses? stimmys?) in her tax refund.

Edited by stuckoutside
spelling
  • Thanks 2
Irenicus

I know we already have a thread on this already, but it's a bit scattershot and doesn't really reflect the latest updates.

Imma still  confused as to the whole married to a non-citizen/non-resident foreign spouse as it applies to eligibility to the third round of stimulus.  

Is there any tax expert on the forum that can specify where it all stands now?  Like many here, I am a US citizen married to a Filipina (with a US ITIN number) and our baby (born Sept 2020) just got her US citizenship and her SSN number is being processed.

Also, what is the deal with the new child tax credits?

I already filed for an extension until October, so I can run all this past my Dad's tax attorney when I go to the US in September.

Anyhoo, it is up to the mods to keep this up or just delete or merge it with the old thread started by Lamoe.

Salamuch.

stuckoutside

Under the original first-stimulus rules, a spouse without legal status in the US barred the entire family from getting a check if the couple filed jointly.

For the second stimulus, the people in the family who do have status (citizen, resident, etc) get checks. For you, it sounds like that would be husband and baby. Wife only gets a check if she has a green card or long-term residency visa, is a citizen, or is in the US for 31 days out of the year + 183 days out of the last 3 years (I'm not sure which years they consider).

When they passed stimmy #2, they retroactively changed the rules for stimmy #1. Now mixed-status families who file jointly can go back and get the first stimulus.

I think that stimmy #3 is basically under the same rules as #2.

If you didn't get stimulated and are entitled to it, you need to file a 2020 tax return with the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to get the stimulus as a tax rebate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Edwin
6 hours ago, stuckoutside said:

Under the original first-stimulus rules, a spouse without legal status in the US barred the entire family from getting a check if the couple filed jointly.

For the second stimulus, the people in the family who do have status (citizen, resident, etc) get checks. For you, it sounds like that would be husband and baby. Wife only gets a check if she has a green card or long-term residency visa, is a citizen, or is in the US for 31 days out of the year + 183 days out of the last 3 years (I'm not sure which years they consider).

When they passed stimmy #2, they retroactively changed the rules for stimmy #1. Now mixed-status families who file jointly can go back and get the first stimulus.

I think that stimmy #3 is basically under the same rules as #2.

If you didn't get stimulated and are entitled to it, you need to file a 2020 tax return with the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to get the stimulus as a tax rebate.

There's your definitive answer. I might add that you need to file by May 17th to start receiving your $300 monthly child tax credit in July.

• Like 1
OnNo

Can I file a form W-7- ITIN and send it to the U.S so wife can have a taxpayer I.D? My vague understanding is SSN or ITIN is required to get on this sudden undeserved gravy train.

Wife Original PP and Birth Certificate Meet Document Requirements?

Would payments be individual or joint names? I assume individual.

Sorry if too many questions,

Thank You

stuckoutside

@OnNo - is she a US citizen or resident? If not, getting her an ITIN won't help.

At this point, your payment is likely to be in the form of a tax refund since you get anything that's missing by filing your 2020 taxes. So, it would arrive however that comes.