Paddy

DSWD Food Packs

Paddy

2000 food packs arrived in Masbate port yesterday. If you look at the DSWD Facebook pages (Region v for us), food packs have been arriving all over. 

The population of Masbate is over 800,000. Conservatively that’s 150,000 households. 2000 food packs is hopefully just the start of that initiative. I’m thinking they’ll need 20,000 plus at least!

With help from some really generous (ex) work colleagues in Canada, we’ve been doing our own. 78 bags distributed so far in the village. 

3AEEC2D1-C52E-4363-938D-E70B65A57208.thumb.jpeg.4ba2666702b68ef3ea030094edf7871d.jpeg

37997E48-90B9-409C-84F2-39C5DC0AE995.thumb.jpeg.90f675a76be631a310219fd817b7bf88.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

SkyMan

Saw on the news they were complaining the food packs handed out were inedible, spoiled or whatever.  That was in Manila.

At Christmas we buy a sack of rice and cases of sardines to hand out.  I'm thinking maybe we will do that again this week.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paddy
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Saw on the news they were complaining the food packs handed out were inedible, spoiled or whatever.

At Christmas we buy a sack of rice and cases of sardines to hand out.  I'm thinking maybe we will do that again this week.

Here’s our content...

66E218B7-8AF3-409D-8DF6-A345F01EFE11.jpeg.cc0a0e477f28b557aa8023ad21609233.jpeg

Bought at a wholesaler for around 250pesos per bag. 
I sack of rice does 20-25 bags. 

• Like 2

JohnSurrey

hmmm big problem in this particular Barangay - they never get what they should - goes to the Barangay, the people who work there and their families first... awful - especially the Yolanda money.

Doesn't affect me directly but not sure how it can be rectified - all afraid to speak out here.

Edited by JohnSurrey
  • Sad 2

BossHog
On 3/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, JohnSurrey said:

hmmm big problem in this particular Barangay - they never get what they should -

We had our third delivery this week of relief packages last night. First was from the governor, second from the municipality, and the latest from the barangay. They're right well organized and show up in a convoy of vehicles with a loudspeaker. They tell you what they're doing, that they will leave the parcels outside your domicile, and to come collect them after they depart. 

The parcels will get a small family through around three days if stretched and while pretty basic they do keep people indoors and away from the shops which are a nexus for infection. The only complaining is about the NFA rice as it's 'smelly'. We're in a rice farming area and luckily the harvest has just come in so there's a big community surplus right now and people are stockpiling the NFA rice as a last resort.

While we don't need the parcels (we have a temporarily closed restaurant, so are quite heavy on stored supplies) it's easier to accept the food (and pass it on to those in need) than it is to inform them otherwise when you're being directed to stay indoors by a loudspeaker.  

All in all, the food distribution system is working well here. Additionally, those enrolled with the  Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) have just gotten between 5k to 8k per family credited to their Land Bank purpose-issued debit cards. Another tranche of similar amount is due to be released in April. Social distancing and hygiene at the local ATM is not ideal but people with children in need are getting government cash in addition to food. Not sure why you need to take a family of eight folks to line up with you at the ATM during a quarantine but that's what's happening..

Additionally, the local RHU (Rural Health Unit) has been exceptional and keeps an outdoor board tally of people in the community who are PUMs. They maintain an active and constantly updated social media presence as well as doing home outreach to the particularly vulnerable.

Overt PNP presence has been less than I expected but I imagine they're doing things behind the scenes that are not not readily apparent. The local CAFGU camp on the other hand is openly active and taking on added responsibilities.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

to_dave007
32 minutes ago, BossHog said:

CAFGU.

Nice report..  what is CAFGU?

• Thanks 1

Paddy
3 hours ago, BossHog said:

We had our third delivery this week of relief packages last night. First was from the governor, second from the municipality, and the latest from the barangay. They're right well organized and show up in a convoy of vehicles with a loudspeaker. They tell you what they're doing, that they will leave the parcels outside your domicile, and to come collect them after they depart. 

The parcels will get a small family through around three days if stretched and while pretty basic they do keep people indoors and away from the shops which are a nexus for infection. The only complaining is about the NFA rice as it's 'smelly'. We're in a rice farming area and luckily the harvest has just come in so there's a big community surplus right now and people are stockpiling the NFA rice as a last resort.

While we don't need the parcels (we have a temporarily closed restaurant, so are quite heavy on stored supplies) it's easier to accept the food (and pass it on to those in need) than it is to inform them otherwise when you're being directed to stay indoors by a loudspeaker.  

All in all, the food distribution system is working well here. Additionally, those enrolled with the  Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) have just gotten between 5k to 8k per family credited to their Land Bank purpose-issued debit cards. Another tranche of similar amount is due to be released in April. Social distancing and hygiene at the local ATM is not ideal but people with children in need are getting government cash in addition to food. Not sure why you need to take a family of eight folks to line up with you at the ATM during a quarantine but that's what's happening..

Additionally, the local RHU (Rural Health Unit) has been exceptional and keeps an outdoor board tally of people in the community who are PUMs. They maintain an active and constantly updated social media presence as well as doing home outreach to the particularly vulnerable.

Overt PNP presence has been less than I expected but I imagine they're doing things behind the scenes that are not not readily apparent. The local CAFGU camp on the other hand is openly active and taking on added responsibilities.

I haven’t seen any of that happening here except for the pic of 2000 DSWD food packs arriving at Masbate port a couple of days ago. Plus, the people in this Barangay have no ATM that they can now get to...sigh...