SkyMan

Tax day extended for Americans

SkyMan

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-day-now-july-15-treasury-irs-extend-filing-deadline-and-federal-tax-payments-regardless-of-amount-owed

A bit of good info at this time for some.  

Tax Day now July 15: Treasury, IRS extend filing deadline and federal tax payments regardless of amount owed (full story at the link but that about sums it up.)

• Thanks 3

MarinePride

I wonder if it includes the FBAR filing as well?  Gotta check on that!

Salty Dog

I e-filed 2 weeks ago. Got refund in 6 days… 

• Thanks 1

Jester

I use a CPA,  they automaticly file for an extension for their customers every year.  Mine are done and waiting for a signature.  I owed this year,  so maybe I should wait to the last minute :oldtimer:

lamoe
20 hours ago, SkyMan said:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-day-now-july-15-treasury-irs-extend-filing-deadline-and-federal-tax-payments-regardless-of-amount-owed

A bit of good info at this time for some.  

Tax Day now July 15: Treasury, IRS extend filing deadline and federal tax payments regardless of amount owed (full story at the link but that about sums it up.)

My state, Illinois, filling date is still April 15th.  Some states don't tax income - but their operating money comes from many other sources - higher gas, sales, real estate tax, etc.

SkyMan
1 minute ago, lamoe said:

My state, Illinois, filling date is still April 15th.  Some states don't tax income - but their operating money comes from many other sources - higher gas, sales, real estate tax, etc.

Why are you still paying state income tax?  I stopped as soon as I moved here.

lamoe
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Why are you still paying state income tax?  I stopped as soon as I moved here.

Home of record, Illinois, taxable income derived from US sources.  The $ is worth the online library privileges.

Headshot
7 hours ago, lamoe said:

Home of record, Illinois, taxable income derived from US sources.  The $ is worth the online library privileges.

Just declare your home state as Nevada (you don't need an address in Nevada since you are living overseas) when you file your federal income taxes. Then, you no longer pay state income tax. Of course, if you really want to support the politicians running Illinois into the ground, feel free to do so, but... you don't have to if you don't really want to.

mikecon3

North Carolina moved their filing deadline to July 15...really shocking as they would usually steal the fillings from your teeth to get their money! Still file state tax because we have a house and cars there, plus I get in-state tuition at the university for my youngest daughter...the amount I save in tuition is alot more than what I pay in taxes.

• Like 1

papimafioso69
18 hours ago, Headshot said:

Just declare your home state as Nevada (you don't need an address in Nevada since you are living overseas) when you file your federal income taxes. Then, you no longer pay state income tax. Of course, if you really want to support the politicians running Illinois into the ground, feel free to do so, but... you don't have to if you don't really want to.

My address is in Illinois and I pay no state tax on my SS and pension . Just got my refund in 6 days and because I worked last year and I’m on full retirement this year , with no earnings I still get a federal refund next year . 

• Like 1

Headshot
4 hours ago, papimafioso69 said:

My address is in Illinois and I pay no state tax on my SS and pension . Just got my refund in 6 days and because I worked last year and I’m on full retirement this year , with no earnings I still get a federal refund next year . 

Great. My suggestion was for anybody whose state is still trying to charge them on income (retired income or otherwise) when they are living in a foreign country. People would be surprised at the benefits that are either available in all states (regardless of whether or not they have a state income tax) or not tied to whether or not a person pays taxes in the state at all (such as on-line library privileges). For instance, I have on-line library privileges at the public library in Sacramento, California even though I am not a resident of that state. It doesn't cost the library anything, and the program gets better funding if they can increase their number of users.

• Like 1