Goetz1965

Buying a new hard drive in viral times

Goetz1965
Posted (edited)

This morning one of my WD Red 4TB died and unfortunately its 9month out of the 3 year warranty period. But had worked well 24/7/365 in my NAS for that time.
So where to get a new one, also 6TB as the 4TB was already quite full.
All malles are closed so look in Lazada, there the 6TB is listet 10700 plus shipping.

Next I looked at Amazon germany, but price would be same than buying in LAzada, and negative also no shop delivers international to the philippines.
So I went to Amazon USA and they have the 6TB at only 145$, I put 2 in my basket (exchange the backup drive directly too and sell that then).
Paid with VISA, that way paid 359EUR which inkluding shipping and customes payment is still 4000php cheaper than with Lazada.

THere was no information on delays in delivery, so as Amazon usually sends with UPS I wait if they still hold the usual 5 days delivery to Cebu-City.

Edited by Goetz1965
  • Like 2

JohnSurrey

hmmm ... similar probs here -two psu's broken - one under warranty ... how can I get it back with no deliveries... also had ordered something from Shoppee which looks like it won't be coming

Dafey
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

THere was no information on delays in delivery, so as Amazon usually sends with UPS I wait if they still hold the usual 5 days delivery to Cebu-City.

Keep us posted. My buddy in the US said even Amazon is having delays these days. Interested on how intl. shipping is doing.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

Ordered it Saturday 21, sure that Sunday is no work.
This morning (Wedneday 25) I got the Shipping info from UPS with the tracking number.
Estimated date is still April 1 but UPS usually takes 5 working days. So lets see.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

All went well until this morning when UPS tells me that customs now need a license from "Optical Media Board" to import the drives.
Yeah is its stated on the OMB website in article 4: https://omb.gov.ph/services/importation-exportation-guidelines/

4. The importation/exportation of magnetic media such as solid state drives (SDD), hard disc drives (HDD), secure digital card (SD card), flash/thumb drives, and technical variations thereof, regardless of quantity, shall require a permit or license, whichever is applicable, from the Optical Media Board, whether said importation/exportation be done by an individual or a corporate/juridical entity.

Seems that now with the lockdown someone at customes has too much time for such bullshit.
Lets see if UPS can sort it out....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JohnSurrey

Lucky I got mine early then - ordered Amazon (US) 22 Jan 2020 delivered 11 2 2020 - no queries or OMB - Seagate Backup Plus 5TB

• Like 1