Sign in to follow this  
East Saxon

Anyone Recognize this Type of Ordnance

East Saxon

Anyone recognise this type of Ordnance,they were found in the Sea off of North Cebu? Locals described them as "Bullets from a Canon" I thought that maybe someone on here would know what they are.  

Ord.jpg

facebook_1584700861625.jpg

facebook_1584436046731.jpg

• Like 1

SkyMan

Whatever they are I wouldn't handle them and call the authorities.

• Like 2

East Saxon

I did not but some local Kids tried to cook one and put a hole in a House 100m away. 

20200320_134710.jpg

easy44

Stupid is as stupid does. 

• Like 1

Headshot

You are lucky they haven't exploded. You never should have touched them, let alone brought them to your house.  Souped (he was EOD) can probably tell you about these shells, but right now you need to contact the Philippine Army or PNP to have them removed and disposed of properly. Until they are removed, do not touch them and evacuate the area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

@Soupeod, suit up Dude...duty calls!

• Haha 1

easy44
6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You are lucky they haven't exploded. You never should have touched them, let alone brought them to your house.  Souped (he was EOD) can probably tell you about these shells, but right now you need to contact the Philippine Army or PNP to have them removed and disposed of properly. Until they are removed, do not touch them and evacuate the area. 

I don't see where East Saxon said he touched or handled them. Only the stupid kids. 

SkyMan
13 minutes ago, easy44 said:

I don't see where East Saxon said he touched or handled them. Only the stupid kids. 

Looks like he got close enough to take pictures which I wouldn't have done.

• Like 1

East Saxon

I am not stupid enough to have handled them, I am aware of the dangers of such things, The Pics were taken by someone in the Village where it all happened. My only connection was that I heard the Bang early Tuesday Morning and my Wife found out later what had happened and the Pics were posted on FB. The items were all removed by the PNP that day however I was interested to know what they are and thought that some of rhe Ex Military guys o n here might know just to add to the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Paddy

My guess (on the pair) is naval or field artillery shells around the 75-100mm mark (no easy scale in the pics) When fired, they would have been attached to brass shell casings about 2-3 times longer than the shell. The shell casings contain the propellant. The smaller one looks bigger than 30mm ammunition and appears to be missing the nose cap. 
They could have come from a stores ship or a naval vessel. Since there is no indication of packing materials, it’s possible they were ready use - even if for field artillery. 
8DA14F51-B695-4C94-B7DE-AE6F822E3499.jpeg.296bebcae1e1ace9ae79925f1676a1fc.jpeg
These are British 4.7 inch shells. The shape is very similar. The standard British field gun, the 25 pounder, used a 3.75 inch (I think) shell that is longer and thinner by comparison. 

Having said that, I’m no expert. I did load and fire a 25 pounder once upon a time.

• Like 1

Soupeod
On 3/21/2020 at 11:53 AM, Headshot said:

Do as Headshot described.

(Probably WW2 Projectiles, need measurements and a closer examination to determine exact nomenclature)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris24

As Paddy said, those look like shells for artillery or a naval gun.  No way to tell what is inside or if it's still explosive.

During Desert Storm where I was stationed in the U.S. an enterprising recycler snuck onto base and out to the artillery range to pick up expended 105mm "training rounds" to melt down for scrap.  Turns out that one of them was not a training round after all, but a dud live round.  Needless to say, melting it down proved to be an unwise move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Paddy
Posted (edited)

The term “cooked off” takes on a whole new meaning!😀

Edited by Paddy
  • Haha 1