Dafey

Requirements for electrical wires over neighbor's roof

Dafey

I've checked the Leyeco, (Leyte electric), website which is basically useless.

Wondering what the requirements are for electric wires going over someone else's roof. Installing a new system and the easiest route would be 8-9 feet above the corner of the neighbor's roof.

When we moved into our house wires were laying on our roof and we paid to install a post and raise everyone else's wires a meter and a half above the roof.

Woolf

I guess that your supply is 1 insulated and 1 bare wire ??

if the bare wire breaks close to the pole transformer it could be live

8 feet is approx 2.5 meter  just about if someone standing on roof could touch it

I would think that 2.5 meters is NOT enough 

• Like 1

Dafey
34 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I guess that your supply is 1 insulated and 1 bare wire ??

They call it twisted wire. One plastic coated wire and a heavy bare wire for support.

Woolf
5 minutes ago, Dafey said:

They call it twisted wire. One plastic coated wire and a heavy bare wire for support.

the bare wire is neutral

• Like 1

Dafey

I guess...the bare wire is only for support over a long span

Red post is ours and wire spans from it to the next red post traversing over the corner of the neighbor's house

image.thumb.png.93d567cae6df404141fe04cdba364a87.png

Dafey

Here's a look from the other side. Looks like the wire is about 12 feet over the corner of the house

image.thumb.png.fcd3dc82274d2b7bf197750c5191c706.png

Woolf

I guess that your connection is same as the cebeco, so one live and one neutral

to your question about going over neighbors house I have no idea

the bare wire is neutralimage.png.974a15de54eba97b27093ee229dd88da.png

• Like 2

Dafey

Thx Woolfman. The electrician doing the install has got that covered. Neighbor is reading me the riot act so I just need to know the law/responsibility for the wire going above the corner of the house. Never seen anyone bitch with all the crazy wiring around but need to know where we stand if it goes to Barangay captain

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Thx Woolfman. The electrician doing the install has got that covered. Neighbor is reading me the riot act so I just need to know the law/responsibility for the wire going above the corner of the house. Never seen anyone bitch with all the crazy wiring around but need to know where we stand if it goes to Barangay captain

What is he complaining about?  The height of the wire or the fact it is going over his roof at all?   Maybe another pole to make it go around? Maybe that corner pole could be moved to the edge of the drive there?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

the fact it is going over his roof at all? 

I've spent enough running this stupid wire. If she wants it moved she can pay for it

Paddy

I would have been upset if a drop wire had been routed over my house without my prior OK. 
If asked, I would have suggested going along the other side of the track until adjacent to your own lot and then crossing the track OR positioning the 2nd pole differently. 
Unless very thin double decker busses use that track, why so high?

• Like 2

Dafey

The Leyeco electrician chose this routing for the wire. He asked me to build the 2 poles, to his specs, and he ran the wire. I think if she's got a problem with it she should check with him. And if he tells me to add a pole or buy more wire I'll tell him to take it out of his profit...haven't paid him yet

• Like 1

Paddy

Service connections are covered by the Philippines Electrical Code PEC (which seems to have been updated 2009, 2014 and 2017 at least). 
From an electrical perspective the code permits service connections over roofs. It does require, amongst other things, certain clearances. (See the extract below for an example). Based on my quick reading of the 2009 version, your clearances seem to be “ok”.

I would not expect the code to comment on the legality of crossing someone else’s land (and roof). It is possible that a later version of the code makes a distinction, with respect to clearances, between a drop wire entirely controlled by the power company vs a drop wire not entirely controlled by the company. (Perhaps the difference might be seen based on where the meter is attached - pole or serviced building). 

Without wishing to further elevate your stress levels @Dafey, it’s obvious that your neighbour feels much the same about this as I would. However, she and I may have no legal basis for feeling that way. 

There’s still the building code, municipal bye laws, anything on the rights of land ownership (vis a vis implied easements) and how the Barangay Captain feels about it to look at 😀

BA7AB6C7-3219-486B-B2F3-FE59CF5F216E.thumb.jpeg.3910a075756a71537236360b2d8dd907.jpeg

Extract from Section 2.30.2.3 of the PEC 2009. 

• Thanks 1

fred42

I doubt that even with local corruption you would be able to get a permit to run power cable over my roof.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

deleted 

Edited by Davaoeno