Salty Dog

What Are You Doing During These Trying Times

Salty Dog

Some experts are saying while many of us are staying home to avoid contact with the Coronavirus, that we should try spending quality time with or families. Whatever that is. 

So I was wondering what our members are doing to pass the time of day, and how long do you plan to stay at home... 

It's just me and my wife with the dog here. She's been sick for nearly a week, so she hasn't been anywhere in a week. She's pretty much recovered now. I've been out to pick up some odds and ends. Ordered and received everything that everyone else are waiting in long lines to purchase now. Had dinner at a steakhouse one day and my usual early morning Friday breakfast with a friend. Both restaurants were busy.

Otherwise I've parked my fat ass on the couch watching cable news, movies and TV series binging. I have over 400 movies and 3,000 TV Episodes. Enough to keep me busy for months. Well and keeping up with the forum that has been fairly busy recently. 

Been thinking about getting my drone out and getting more proficient at flying it. 

So let's hear from our diverse membership and what they've been or plan on doing to pass the time of day… 

Headshot

I'm mostly staying home, although I do get out for necessary errands. My daughter's classes ended Friday, but she and my wife went to the Waterfront today for a photo shoot. We had planned a trip to New Zealand next month (made the arrangements back in December), and of course that has been destroyed, since New Zealand just threw up a rule that anybody entering the country must self-isolate for 14 days. How do you do that as a tourist? Anyway, we will try to work with the Singapore Air and the tour company on those arrangements, since that trip is clearly no longer possible.

I expect that Cebu will shut down international flights as they have all domestic flights, so it's game over anyway. We will probably continue to go to movies at SM Consolacion (provided they remain open) because there are seldom many people in the theatres anyway. Of course, that is only when something decent comes out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BossHog
Posted (edited)

At the moment, sitting in the yard multi-tasking on a beautiful blue sky Sunday. Blissfully quiet around here with churches and cockfights cancelled and there's almost zero traffic on the road except for the occasional carabao hauling in the rice harvest to the mill.

Reading  

Barbara Tuchman's masterful history The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914

192955.jpg.9e38376fb26ec2c9c84a261720ddac09.jpg

Drinking

A Thermos of  dark roast Arbabica from Sagada.

Looking at

and photographing Red-keeled Flowerpeckers feasting on the ripe guavas

-1.jpg.91a2264c2c7fa8f3cf86605b91634c61.jpg

Listening

...on a JBL Bluetooth speaker to Game 7 of the 1971 World Series since spring training is cancelled and Opening Day delayed. *SPOILER ALERT* Steve Blass pitches his second complete game win of the series and Roberto Clemente homers...

Smoking 

A strong blend heavy on the Louisiana Perique called Bayou Morning.

003-016-0085.jpg.8486ef602ded24ba4213bc820757d021.jpg

fg.thumb.jpg.8fce837011f5fd8d8ad539a187714152.jpg

Trying

to figure out how to cheer up my daughter. She's graduating high school as valedictorian next month but it doesn't look like there will even be a ceremony now. She's understandably a bit bummed out.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

smokey

I am out every day love the light traffic

• Thanks 2

Goetz1965

Running on my treadmill, practising Arnis and Karate and waiting it out
Also have some work from home job that is now really good to do.

• Thanks 1

Busted Dick

I go out whenever I want to do so, I eat, drink beer, go shopping, meet my friends. Same as normal. As they tighten the restrictions on our freedoms I will continue to do the same in some way. 

• Thanks 1

rfm010

With classes cancelled and wife locked out of her labs she is now home all day "practicing for retirement".  She has become the 2nd incarnation of my father with her "if you cant find anything useful to do i'll find it for you".   In other words i'm spending my time hiding.  Problem is there is much less acreage now for that sort of thing than there used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

SkyMan

Enjoying the quiet.  Although my extra worker who's normally a no show on Mondays just showed up.  I guess I'm his best employment option now.

• Thanks 1

hyaku
Posted (edited)

The usual. Stay home, garden, odd jobs, pets, best of all my partner to share with. In a self imposed isolation for 14 years now and loving it. 

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cgu

Well, a little restricted . I would like to do the same, but not everything can be done. Weekends normally go round (beach) and evening go out or gather with friends, sometimes party - that is out now. So more work and one of my hobby - finance, reading research etc. - why not. 

Then work is restricted to work at home, not bad, but miss staff.  Also, I might be out tomorrow  (well pretty sure - ticket already in my inbox) - back to European HQ - I have mixed feeling about that, but company wants that, they fear worse. Will see how it goes. 

Will miss Philippines life.

• Thanks 1

lamoe

No different than before

We were never ones to go out that much

Go out when necessary - she's stocked up on rice and TP :dance2:

Read - have many 30 books on tablet - online a few hours a day annoying some here :db:

Still go to pool for some sun only - deserted now

We each have our own tablet, phone, TV - how she pays attention to all 3 at same time baffles me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete

Because we manufacture non essential items, business is dead. Down to 20% of same period last year, so got the troops painting our house interior. At least the boss is happy. But me, bored shit-less, sporting events are either cancelled or with no punters so the only entertainment left is baiting Mo on Linc !!!:D      Yes it has come to this! Grrrrrr. :cry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Irenicus
Posted (edited)

Unable to watch sports, I met a woman on my couch who claims to be my wife.  She seems nice.

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Unable to watch sports, I met a woman on my couch who claims to be my wife.  She seems nice.

Trust but verify.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan

Messing with the wife a bit...

I give her a kiss and say I'm going out to fix the red truck.

Her, a bit panicked...Oh, but there's Corona Virus.

Me, I'm pretty sure the truck doesn't have Corona Virus.

Her, Oh, ok, I hope it's open.

Me, I left it unlocked but I have the key.

Her, I mean the parts place.

Me, I don't think I need parts, it's just a fried ground terminal on the battery.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2