Jump to content
SkyMan

Flights to the United States

Recommended Posts

SkyMan

Good timing on PAL to reopen the direct flights CEB-LAX.  I've been planning to go back to the US this year and spent a good bit of time Jan/Feb) getting the wife's passport and tourist visa renewed.  I was considering booking tickets before that but decided to wait until all the docs were in order.  Had I done so I quite likely would have booked on China Eastern. I'm guessing the fares would be refunded but probably not until much closer to the trip so I'm glad I avoided that hassle.  After we got her new passport back with the new visa, I set about looking for flights and the Kung Flu started being a problem.  I started wondering if any flying would be a good idea but finally decided I wasn't going to let the virus run our lives.  In order to avoid the most problems I decided to do the PAL direct flights and see what happens.  I'm really surprised there are plenty of those seats still available.  I went to the Capitol One Travel Center and found the flights I wanted and went through all the signup but when reaching the last click to pay, it hung.  (The CapOne rate was about $25 cheaper than going to the PAL site, probably because PAL uses some bad BDO exchange rate or something and you can't pay in pesos.)  Refreshed, hung.  Tried the Capitol One app and same thing.  I called CapOne and finally got through to a person in the travel center (after a long wait) to find out if there was some known system problem.  I asked if she'd had other callers with a similar problem.  She said, "no, pretty much everyone calling is trying to cancel."  That made me laugh but she didn't.  She said she could do it for me but there'd be a $25 per ticket charge so I told her I'd try again later and call back if I had to.  A few hours later I tried again and same problem so I booked through Travelocity at the same rate as CapOne.  I think maybe the problem with CapOne is their system waits for confirmation from PAL.  Travelocity just said it was confirmed and the airline would notify me later.  It took a couple hours before PAL acknowledged the booking.

Anyway, now we wait and see what happens.  Could be we'll go and not be able to get back.  Could be we can't go at all but at least we have tickets.  I have a feeling that if the virus is contained there will be a flood of people wanting to travel so prices will climb and I didn't want to wait.  I guess worst case would be that I can go but she can't because she isn't a citizen so I don't know if both tickets would be refunded but they are fairly cheap so the loss of 1 ticket wouldn't be too bad.  Now I'm looking at the pics of empty store shelves and wondering if we really want to go at all.  Hahahahaha

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

When is the trip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 minute ago, Dafey said:

When is the trip?

Mid May for about 7 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

things will likely be much better on both ends by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

things will likely be much better on both ends by then.

That's my prayer.  I figure when we get there it will be like, "What Corona virus?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

Say, that non stop only operates certain days. Do you know what they are both ways?

Interested in your ride. Hoping to go in October. Last time they had these flights it was on a ghetto jet with no entertainment, air vents, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Say, that non stop only operates certain days. Do you know what they are both ways?

Interested in your ride. Hoping to go in October. Last time they had these flights it was on a ghetto jet with no entertainment, air vents, etc.

I think it's 3 days a week (TThSa?) same both ways.  Just click direct flights only and it narrows right down.  Currently slated as new 737-300s.  Number of planes and types may change as PAL has a lot of planes doing nothing right now.  We did this trip last time too and while older planes, I thought it was ok.  Nice to just get on and off and done with no stopover.  I did find it odd the food was better going than coming.  ?!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

737-300s

A typo perhaps? 777-300ER (range 13650km)  is perhaps more likely?

If you actually went on a 737-300 (range 4176 km) you might have to change your name to WaterMan!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

A typo perhaps? 777-300ER (range 13650km)  is perhaps more likely?

If you actually went on a 737-300 (range 4176 km) you might have to change your name to WaterMan!

Yeah, that's it.  777-300ER  All I know is it's newer and has individual video screens.

Edited by SkyMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mistaeric

I fly Eva air premium economy and have been checking fares for 3 weeks now USA to Cebu City. No deals to be had. Maybe in economy class the fares dropped because I hear flights are half full now. My plan was to fly end of April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mitch Rapp

This is the schedule:

PR153 - Depart LAX 22:30 - Arrive CEB 05:00

Aircraft: Boeing 777

PR152 - Depart CEB 21:00 - Arrive LAX 19:30

Days: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan

I'm on limited posting for a while longer but thought an update here might be of interest to some.  

Before the end of April the ECQ was extended through yesterday, the Ides of May.  So PAL announced no flights until today.  My flights out were on the 12th so I assumed I'd get a cancellation email soon.  On the 7th, still no email and I was still able check the flights and change my seats if I wanted.  I contacted PAL and they confirmed the flights canceled but since I bought through Travelocity I had to contact them for the refund.  I went to the TO site and canceled.  Got an email which sounded like they were just going to give me a voucher so I don't think they knew the fight was canceled yet.  Then I finally got emails (1 for each ticket) that the flight was canceled from PAL.  I called TO and told them I wanted a refund instead of the voucher.  After some time on hold I got dropped off.  Called back and the agent was kind of an arse and said that the voucher was the airline policy and I had to take it.  He refused my offer of the link to PAL's site where it says that a refund is an option.  He only offered that I need to get PAL to put something on my 'file' saying a refund was ok.  I contacted PAL through messenger and gave that info and they said they'd work on it.  

I tried a few messages to PAL to get an update and they finally said I had to call TO so I did yesterday.  After some time on hold they were able to confirm that the refund was in process since the 7th and it takes 6-8 weeks to process.  I asked for a confirmation email of that and I have that now.  Even with a bit of extra hassle on this I would use TO again if making reservations with PAL.  The reason the voucher was useless to me is because it has to be used within a year and I have no idea if my wife will be allowed to fly in that time.  Also,  I didn't feel like allowing them to hold my money for that year and forcing me to fly another time I might not want.  Also, I think even if you do happen to use the voucher I think you are responsible to pay the fare difference if there is one.  They do give you the cost plus 10% but if the fare doubles or I end up having to go in the winter, no thanks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I'm on limited posting for a while longer but thought an update here might be of interest to some.  

I had flights to Toronto with Cathay..  4 legs in total.. and eventually I got all 4 cancellation emails. So I called Cathay. and they tried to talk me into credit for later flight or deferred whatever.. but I said no give me refund.. which they said they will do. I just need to wait for July for it. So.. I'm waiting.

But I been thinking..  Airlines COULD.. justifiably.. claim this is all "force majeure".. an Act of God..  and refuse ANY refund or credit or whatever.  Not saying it would be good marketing, but how te F are the airlines gonne get through this without playing hardball.

 

Also.. Is life any better on "limited posting"?  We should all be so lucky.  For me. I'm hoping the province lets me walk outside the gate every morning.  Then.. when we get past that. I'm going for lunch at Macaroon Tango.. if they make it through this.  Hopefully.. i got company for lunch. @cookie47 I'll pick you and the lovely wife up.  Oops.. sorry Salty.. I guess that's off topic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

I did mine by protesting card f them the agent contact me says korean rebooked you to this date and time you should accept ... I said i pick the date not them some shit flight with 20 hour lay over landing in chicago then on my own i said hell no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..