Jump to content

PHILIPPINE Covid-19 Cases, Monitoring, Articles & Discussions


Recommended Posts

Headshot

I wouldn't worry about it until after they lift the ban on recreational travel within the Philippines (which is still in effect). As long as you can't travel within the Philippines, the resorts won't open.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Dafey

    72

  • lamoe

    65

  • SkyMan

    60

  • JohnSurrey

    41

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gosh monitoring this thread makes me not feel good about coming to Cebu for any reason. Wish it were not that way. I just turned 62 and am tired of working. Had been really looking forward to building

Or conversely shutting the country down has kept the average down to just 6 deaths per day.......

Not any more, last year domestic tourism was financed by those with jobs.  This year and next, I would surmise that less than half will travel on a holiday, The government needs to reopen the Airports

Posted Images

Soupeod
7 hours ago, Dafey said:

Looks like Capiz is going to be the next Hot Spot!

 

Holy cow!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
On 6/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, Soupeod said:

“There are not that many cases yet in the said areas but we are seeing that their rate of increase is faster compared to other areas, which is why the national government has provided assistance to suppress the spread of the virus,” Vergeire said in English and Filipino.

Vergeire said that they have sent medical equipment to Cebu province to ramp up its testing capacity.

Well, ramp up the testing and the numbers will go through the roof.

My in laws quite likely all have it or have recovered.  That's 5 adults and 4 kids. They don't want to get tested because those that work would lose that income and they wouldn't be able to afford the treatment.  I can't blame them.  I doubt they're in the minority. 

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1298014/leyte-mayors-heave-sigh-of-relief-at-pause-in-stranded-persons-return

Leyte mayors heave sigh of relief at pause in stranded persons’ return

TACLOBAN CITY—Mayors in Leyte heaved a sigh of relief and welcomed the pause in issuance of travel authority to stranded individuals, saying it would help stop coronavirus transmission in the province.

Mayor Ma. Rosario Avestruz, of Barugo town, the spokesperson of the League of Mayors-Leyte Chapter, said the mayors were happy that their request to suspend the travel of stranded individuals was approved by Interior Secretary Eduardo Año.

“This lifting, though temporary, will really help us local government units as we are already overwhelmed,” said Avestruz in a phone interview.

Barugo has two COVID-19 cases. At least 110 stranded individuals are now isolated in the town’s quarantine facilities.

Avestruz said suspending the travel of stranded individuals would also help local government units “in terms of funding because we are allocating funds for the daily meals of these people.”

While the mayors wanted to welcome returning individuals, she said this should not be done while the localities are still grappling with the impacts of the pandemic.

The return of stranded individuals and overseas workers has contributed to the dramatic increase of COVID-19 cases in Leyte.

As of June 26, Leyte has 224 COVID-19 cases, majority of them were stranded individuals, overseas workers and those who availed themselves of the government’s Balik Probinsya program.

The regional office of the Department of Health (DOH) recorded 16 new cases of COVID-19. Of the number, 13 were stranded individuals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod

 

Quote

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1107040

Ormoc City lifts preemptive lockdown in sub-village

By Gerico Sabalza  June 25, 2020, 7:27 pm

spacer.png

FIGHTING COVID-19. Mayor Richard Gomez of Ormoc City. The local government of Ormoc City on Thursday (June 25, 2020) lifted the preemptive lockdown enforced in its sub-village, after completion of the contact tracing of the resident who tested positive of coronavirus disease 2019. (Photo courtesy of Ormoc City government)

TACLOBAN CITY – The local government of Ormoc City has lifted the preemptive lockdown enforced in its sub-village, where a resident tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

“The contact tracing on the patient residing in Purok 6, Bagong Buhay village has been completed, for which, lifting of the precautionary lockdown has been recommended,” Mayor Richard Gomez said in a statement on Thursday.

The city government, through Executive Order No. 66, placed the community under strict movement restriction on June 15 to prevent the potential spread or local transmission of the virus.
Since the outbreak of Covid-19 in the country, Ormoc has confirmed a total of 55 cases, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

Its first case was reported on June 5 and has significantly increased in the past weeks due to testing of locally stranded individuals (LSIs) from Metro Manila and Cebu, as well as overseas Filipino workers (OFW).

As of June 22, there are 446 returnees isolated in its designated quarantine facilities, of which 420 are LSIs and 26 are OFWs, according to the Ormoc City Ligtas Covid Isolation Team monitoring report.

Gomez urged residents to immediately report uncoordinated arrival of returnees to properly monitor and manage them in the designated quarantine centers.

“Let us know right away because we don’t know if these people are infected or not. The problem if there are uncoordinated arrivals, is that we lock down the community or the sub-village where the person resides to conduct contact tracing. We need to identify the contacts up to the third level for early management and prevention,” he said.

Meanwhile, Eastern Visayas has confirmed a total of 452 coronavirus cases, including 39 recoveries and zero death, the DOH said. (PNA)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey

 

Quote

 

Masbate reports first COVID-19 cases; Bicol Region cases at 101

image.png.b00bfb7bca4e9658524bf494ae7b19f9.png

The number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the Bicol Region rose to 101 on Saturday with six new infections, including Masbate's first two COVID-19 cases.

According to the Department of Health Center for Health Development-Bicol (DOH CHD-Bicol), there were 22 active cases in the region.

Patient 96, one of the first confirmed cases from Masbate, was a 23-year old Filipino asymptomatic patient who arrived in the region from Caloocan on June 22.

Patient 97, the other confirmed case from Masbate, is a 25-year-old Filipino who had traveled from Taguig and arrived in the Bicol Region on June 21. The patient first experienced symptoms on June 24.

Patient 98 is a 30-year-old Filipino from Matnog, Sorsogon who traveled from Tondo, Manila. The patient was asymptomatic.

Patient 99 was a 35-year-old Filipino from Canaman, Camarines Sur who was exposed to a COVID-19 case. He was asymptomatic and was the third uniformed official in the region to have tested positive for the virus.

Patient 100 was a 60-year-old Filipino from Naga City who was exposed to COVID-19 patients. He was asymptomatic.

Patient 101 was a 1-year-old Filipino who was also exposed to COVID-19 patients. The patient's status was under verification.

All patients have been quarantined, according to the DOH CHD-Bicol

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/masbate-reports-first-covid-19-cases-bicol-region-cases-at-101/ar-BB162uVS?ocid=msedgdhp

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

While on/off island travel is still restricted here in Masbate, we had been enjoying relatively free movement, social distancing and masks etc otherwise. There were some rumours a few days ago about these cases, now confirmed. We’re waiting to see if any intra-island restrictions come back into place. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey
Quote

Cebu City looms as new COVID epicenter

MANILA, Philippines — Cebu City is “more likely” to be the new epicenter of coronavirus disease 2019 contagion in the country as COVID-19 infections continue to rise, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said yesterday.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año made the observation as he cited the growing number of cases being logged in Cebu City compared to Metro Manila, which is composed of 17 local government units.

“Yes, more likely because of the rate of infection in Cebu City,” Año said in an interview aired over ANC, when asked if Cebu City had become the epicenter of COVID-19 in the country.

There are at least 5,500 COVID-19 cases in Cebu City, including about 150 deaths and at least 2,300 recoveries.

Authorities said rampant violation of quarantine rules has greatly contributed to the spike in cases. Cebu City is under the strictest enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). President Duterte is set to announce possible adjustments in quarantine levels across the country today.

Over the weekend, hundreds of people reportedly gathered in Sitio Alumnos in Barangay Basak San Nicolas for a religious procession and fiesta despite the prohibition of mass gatherings under ECQ.

Año said the DILG would be filing cases against the organizers of the event, while concerned local government officials including barangay executives and police authorities would be made to explain why such gathering had been allowed.

Barangay officials have denied giving go signal to the event.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) chief made it clear yesterday that violators of the ECQ in Cebu City would be immediately arrested.

“That is our guidance there in Cebu because it is a requirement since their infection rate has increased dramatically. That’s why if it is needed, no more warnings, an immediate arrest follows,” PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa said at a briefing.

He said that while Cebu City residents were generally mindful of quarantine rules, many were still displaying defiance.

The PNP had earlier deployed Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and at least a dozen aerial drone units to keep residents indoors.

Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) dispatched a medical team to Cebu City to augment the city’s healthcare system.

The team, composed of nine doctors, 10 nurses, and 13 medical aides, flew to Cebu City on a C-130 transport plane.

“The Group of 32 will be part of history. You are among the first responders to help Cebu,” Cebu coronavirus management overseer Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu said in his send-off message.

“Our services during this pandemic in Cebu will never be repeated in our lifetime. Pagbutihin ninyo ang ating (Be good in your) services not only in the name of the AFP but you as an individual. Then after this pandemic you will feel self-satisfied in your life because we are here to help save lives in this moment of despair,” he said.

“In our first aid lesson, primary concern is to stop the bleeding. And the bleeding in Cebu is the number of deaths. That’s what we are going to do. To stop the bleeding there,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/cebu-city-looms-as-new-covid-epicenter-año/ar-BB167aHT?ocid=msedgdhp

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
24 minutes ago, Dafey said:

“The Group of 32 will be part of history. You are among the first responders to help Cebu,” Cebu coronavirus management overseer Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu said in his send-off message.

Right, we don't have a single doctor or nurse here that has done anything.  WTFO?

25 minutes ago, Dafey said:

“Our services during this pandemic in Cebu will never be repeated in our lifetime.

Let's hope.  What about Covid-26?  Maybe he thinks we'll all be dead by then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey

 

1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Right, we don't have a single doctor or nurse here that has done anything.  WTFO?

Of course there have been frontliners battling for peoples health. The issue as I see it is:

1 hour ago, Dafey said:

rampant violation of quarantine rules has greatly contributed to the spike in cases. Cebu City is under the strictest enhanced community quarantine (ECQ)

All we have to go on is what we read in the news and what is reported here in this forum. From those sources it 'appears' that Cebu City residents have been shrugging off the seriousness of the pandemic as it it couldn't happen to them.

Granted the area has been low to nil on cases early on but especially since the borders have been opened cases are exploding and it's more critical than ever that people 'Stay Home' whenever possible. And again we see residents bucking the system and trying to bend the rules to suit their purposes. It is a lot like the country that is currently leading the world in CV19 cases. The people don't want to be told what to do.

But:

1 hour ago, Dafey said:

He said that while Cebu City residents were generally mindful of quarantine rules, many were still displaying defiance.

The PNP had earlier deployed Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and at least a dozen aerial drone units to keep residents indoors.

Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) dispatched a medical team to Cebu City to augment the city’s healthcare system.

The ax has fallen?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey
Quote

 

MANILA, Philippines  — More health workers will be deployed to Cebu City, which remains under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) amid increasing coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 cases.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said infectious disease consultants from the Philippine Society of Medical Specialists would be sent to the city to assist in the management of cases, noting that the deployment of doctors under the Doctors to the Barrio program is voluntary.

Several nurses and military doctors had been earlier dispatched to hospitals in Cebu City.

Vergerie said the government has been sending health workers to various hospitals in the city to build up their health system capacity.

Data shows that case doubling time in Cebu City as of Tuesday was at 7.62 days.  This means that it took seven days for the number of cases to double.

Vergeire said critical care utilization rate in the city was placed at 62.45 percent, which is slightly lower than the 70 percent average. It pertains to utilization rate of beds in intensive care units, which was pegged at 55.83 percent.

At least 62.45 percent of isolation beds were occupied and 41.90 percent of mechanical ventilators were used.

“We have to enforce the ECQ to allow the health system there to prepare if and where cases will continue to increase,” Vergeire said.

Secretary Carlito Galvez, National Task Force against COVID-19 chief  implementer, and NTF vice chairman Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said they expect ”remarkable changes” in Cebu City and Cebu province on July 15.

Año and Galvez returned to Manila yesterday after an assessment of the situation on the ground.

The two officials inspected health centers, hospitals and the Cebu International Airport. They also had dialogues with local government officials and representatives of the private sector and civil society organizations.

Año said the province seems to be  going in the right direction in the fight against COVID-19.

”Hopefully by July 15, Cebu City will graduate from ECQ,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/doh-deploys-more-health-workers-to-cebu-city/ar-BB16gb7m?ocid=msedgdhp

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

I guess in 2021 we will go worse, when government finds out that they spend all available money but theres nothing fresh coming in from taxes!

But we need to make clear that people here, especially poor ones are used to those situations (no work, no money) for decades. Yes they sometimes get a money, but usually not much.
So in 2021 in my opinion there will sure be more unrest, more burglaries and more killings, so for me I will get more allerted and cautious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole

Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come.  What we are now witnessing with the quarantine, social distancing and the restrictive “passes” being employed in the hope of curbing the pandemic is the beginning of a resistance by desperate people here in the RP (and other poor nations) who are already pushed to their limit.  They cannot long endure such impositions that result in more privation, malnutrition and starvation. One of the trends we are seeing with the crumbling of the economic infrastructure due to the pandemic, is government borrowing of large sums of money form the International Monetary Fund (IMF) which can never effectively be paid back.  

Most all of the countries that are borrowing are already deeply in debt and can only become more entrenched in debt due to this pandemic.   It should be instructive to remember that the IMF is NOT a charitable or humanitarian organization.  It's condition for loans is to cut all social services, except the military and police which must actually be increased to deal with the suffering and social uprisings that always follow. 

Of course, the economic free fall can be viewed from different perspectives, but the main reason is self-inflicted economic implosion in order to deal with a pandemic for which the RP is financially ill prepared. The RP does not have the economic depth that other SE Asian nations have and therefore cannot afford to run an already impoverished population ragged with more austerity before there is an uprising.  But austerity is the very condition that the IMF always imposes on any nation that dares borrow from it poisoned chalice.

 The poorer and weaker nations are the first to fall.  So, the end consequences are even more disturbing because they will leave long lasting scars that will impede the growth and vitality of all countries being forced to borrow in order to fight this pandemic.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan

This should help the numbers....

image.thumb.png.9dc5a838a6616783da7fd0822b6ded46.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

What does "harmonizing data" mean? It sounds more like something that would come out of the government of another Asian country that shall go unnamed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..