PHILIPPINE Covid-19 Cases, Monitoring, Articles & Discussions

battleborn

I don't think this country as a whole are taking this virus seriously enough.  They don't even seem to have an accurate count on how many may be infected.  I read two different article today about suspected infected people and convinced there is no national plan as to the proper procedure to handle these people.

This could get out of hand quickly and the Philippines, like other countries, do not have the doctors or hospital to handle a major out break.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• lamoe

• SkyMan

• JohnSurrey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gosh monitoring this thread makes me not feel good about coming to Cebu for any reason. Wish it were not that way. I just turned 62 and am tired of working. Had been really looking forward to building

Or conversely shutting the country down has kept the average down to just 6 deaths per day.......

Not any more, last year domestic tourism was financed by those with jobs.  This year and next, I would surmise that less than half will travel on a holiday, The government needs to reopen the Airports

Posted Images

wondersailor

I fear what is coming to the Philippines. The country has always been an accident waiting to happen. A poor, way overcrowded country with marginal infastructure and very marginal health care. This is my home now and, I truly fear for the Filipino people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Kahuna
15 minutes ago, wondersailor said:

I fear what is coming to the Philippines. The country has always been an accident waiting to happen. A poor, way overcrowded country with marginal infastructure and very marginal health care. This is my home now and, I truly fear for the Filipino people.

Now might be a good time to stock up extras.Extra rice,water,canned goods along with aspirin,Gator aid and any prescription drugs you take regularly.

• Like 2
SkyMan
35 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

Now might be a good time to stock up extras.Extra rice,water,canned goods along with aspirin,Gator aid and any prescription drugs you take regularly.

An almost family local lady sent me a "cure for corona virus" explaining to boil garlic water and drink it every day.  I think she believed it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
wondersailor
15 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

I used to laugh at preppers. I am laughing no more. I have been hitting grocery after grocery stocking up on food, toiletries, ECT. I have notified my friends here that I am going into self imposed isolation for awhile until I can feel safe enough to socialize once.again. I am no longer young and have a bit of  COPD so I prefer to avoid trouble as best I can. I am not in a position to cut off all physical contact with others, just to limit it as much as possible for awhile. Everyone has to make their own analysis and decisions in this situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kahuna
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

An almost family local lady sent me a "cure for corona virus" explaining to boil garlic water and drink it every day.  I think she believed it.

Probably going to see alot of that in the near future.    

If it hits the fan as hard as it seems to be in China people will try anything to live longer.   

Old folk remedies and witch doctors are going to have a boom season til it all catches up with them.

:sad_01:

• Like 1
PeteHK

Bloomberg article refers to first Philippine death from coronavirus, 44 year old man from Wuhan. President Duterte has banned all foreign passengers from Mainland, Hong Kong and Macau.

• Thanks 2
PeteHK

It seems Filipinos and permanent residents returning from PRC, HK and Macau may be subject to quarantine.

Cathay Pacific flight from HK should have arrived a short while ago - wonder what's happening to the passengers. Nothing on CX website yet notifying passengers.

Update, CX921 from HK is just landing at Mactan Cebu.

• Thanks 1
battleborn

CNA just reported the 44 yo man was the traveling companion of the 38 yo Chinese woman that was under watch in Manilla.

She was under watch in Manilla after traveling here to Cebu, then caught a flight to Dumaguette where they spent time at a resort then went to Manilla.  Flew in here Jan 21.

How many more?

• Thanks 1
profits101

1st death outside China is here in the Philippines:  https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/second-chinese-city-bars-residents-leaving-their-homes-hong-kong-workers-demand-city

ZeroHedge was banned on Twitter for an article about possible origins of the virus as a bioweapon (contains four insertions derived from HIV).

Bought FXI puts on Friday.

Duterte and travel ban not exactly clear to me at this point... whether certain cities or all of China etc, but seems developing:  https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1222855/break-go-duterte-orders-temporary-travel-ban-on-visitors-from-mainland-china-special-admin-regions?fbclid=IwAR2cfiguKBSeHhNWKsQLUgfVSigdNJkiJxP7TevAEFt688yC8ILU30TIBiE

Edited by profits101
  • Like 1
JonnyBravo

So I’m hearing that the couple who came from wuhan (man & woman) (man now deceased 44) traveled to Cebu and transferred flight and went to dumaguete where they vacationed for an unspecified period of time then travelled to Manila where they turned themselves in to the hospital because they were sick. It seems you need not appear sick to be transmitting this virus. I also heard that there are 57 people under observation that had contact with this couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
SkyMan
1 hour ago, battleborn said:

CNA just reported the 44 yo man was the traveling companion of the 38 yo Chinese woman that was under watch in Manilla.

She was under watch in Manilla after traveling here to Cebu, then caught a flight to Dumaguette where they spent time at a resort then went to Manilla.  Flew in here Jan 21.

How many more?

Well, didn't the Chinese consulate just announce that 700K Chinese tourists here last year.  That would be ~13.5K per week so maybe 27K.

Headshot
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

So then my mom wasn't crazy when like 50 years ago she was telling me to gargle salt water?

I'll bet that, if your mom wanted you to gargle salt water, it was to reduce the inflammation for an existing sore throat, rather than to prevent an infection. When people recommend using salt water as a preventive measure, I have to wonder if they realize that your body fluids are already about the same salinity as sea water, so if that would prevent viruses, you would already have immunity. Gargling concentrated salt water could provide temporary relief, but your body will automatically dilute it, so that over time, there would be no effect at all. I suppose you could keep salt water in your mouth all the time, and that might slow down some viruses, but the cure might be worse for you than the possibility of infection.