battleborn

PHILIPPINE Covid-19 Cases, Monitoring, Articles & Discusions

battleborn

I don't think this country as a whole are taking this virus seriously enough.  They don't even seem to have an accurate count on how many may be infected.  I read two different article today about suspected infected people and convinced there is no national plan as to the proper procedure to handle these people.

This could get out of hand quickly and the Philippines, like other countries, do not have the doctors or hospital to handle a major out break.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Thanks 2

wondersailor

I fear what is coming to the Philippines. The country has always been an accident waiting to happen. A poor, way overcrowded country with marginal infastructure and very marginal health care. This is my home now and, I truly fear for the Filipino people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kahuna
15 minutes ago, wondersailor said:

I fear what is coming to the Philippines. The country has always been an accident waiting to happen. A poor, way overcrowded country with marginal infastructure and very marginal health care. This is my home now and, I truly fear for the Filipino people.

Now might be a good time to stock up extras.Extra rice,water,canned goods along with aspirin,Gator aid and any prescription drugs you take regularly.

• Like 2

SkyMan
35 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

Now might be a good time to stock up extras.Extra rice,water,canned goods along with aspirin,Gator aid and any prescription drugs you take regularly.

An almost family local lady sent me a "cure for corona virus" explaining to boil garlic water and drink it every day.  I think she believed it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

wondersailor
15 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

I used to laugh at preppers. I am laughing no more. I have been hitting grocery after grocery stocking up on food, toiletries, ECT. I have notified my friends here that I am going into self imposed isolation for awhile until I can feel safe enough to socialize once.again. I am no longer young and have a bit of  COPD so I prefer to avoid trouble as best I can. I am not in a position to cut off all physical contact with others, just to limit it as much as possible for awhile. Everyone has to make their own analysis and decisions in this situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kahuna
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

An almost family local lady sent me a "cure for corona virus" explaining to boil garlic water and drink it every day.  I think she believed it.

Probably going to see alot of that in the near future.    

If it hits the fan as hard as it seems to be in China people will try anything to live longer.   

Old folk remedies and witch doctors are going to have a boom season til it all catches up with them.

:sad_01:

• Like 1

PeteHK

Bloomberg article refers to first Philippine death from coronavirus, 44 year old man from Wuhan. President Duterte has banned all foreign passengers from Mainland, Hong Kong and Macau.

• Thanks 2

PeteHK

It seems Filipinos and permanent residents returning from PRC, HK and Macau may be subject to quarantine.

Cathay Pacific flight from HK should have arrived a short while ago - wonder what's happening to the passengers. Nothing on CX website yet notifying passengers.

Update, CX921 from HK is just landing at Mactan Cebu.

• Thanks 1

battleborn

CNA just reported the 44 yo man was the traveling companion of the 38 yo Chinese woman that was under watch in Manilla.

She was under watch in Manilla after traveling here to Cebu, then caught a flight to Dumaguette where they spent time at a resort then went to Manilla.  Flew in here Jan 21.

How many more?

• Thanks 1

profits101

1st death outside China is here in the Philippines:  https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/second-chinese-city-bars-residents-leaving-their-homes-hong-kong-workers-demand-city

ZeroHedge was banned on Twitter for an article about possible origins of the virus as a bioweapon (contains four insertions derived from HIV).

Bought FXI puts on Friday.

Duterte and travel ban not exactly clear to me at this point... whether certain cities or all of China etc, but seems developing:  https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1222855/break-go-duterte-orders-temporary-travel-ban-on-visitors-from-mainland-china-special-admin-regions?fbclid=IwAR2cfiguKBSeHhNWKsQLUgfVSigdNJkiJxP7TevAEFt688yC8ILU30TIBiE

Edited by profits101
  • Like 1

JonnyBravo

So I’m hearing that the couple who came from wuhan (man & woman) (man now deceased 44) traveled to Cebu and transferred flight and went to dumaguete where they vacationed for an unspecified period of time then travelled to Manila where they turned themselves in to the hospital because they were sick. It seems you need not appear sick to be transmitting this virus. I also heard that there are 57 people under observation that had contact with this couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, battleborn said:

CNA just reported the 44 yo man was the traveling companion of the 38 yo Chinese woman that was under watch in Manilla.

She was under watch in Manilla after traveling here to Cebu, then caught a flight to Dumaguette where they spent time at a resort then went to Manilla.  Flew in here Jan 21.

How many more?

Well, didn't the Chinese consulate just announce that 700K Chinese tourists here last year.  That would be ~13.5K per week so maybe 27K.

Headshot
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

So then my mom wasn't crazy when like 50 years ago she was telling me to gargle salt water?

I'll bet that, if your mom wanted you to gargle salt water, it was to reduce the inflammation for an existing sore throat, rather than to prevent an infection. When people recommend using salt water as a preventive measure, I have to wonder if they realize that your body fluids are already about the same salinity as sea water, so if that would prevent viruses, you would already have immunity. Gargling concentrated salt water could provide temporary relief, but your body will automatically dilute it, so that over time, there would be no effect at all. I suppose you could keep salt water in your mouth all the time, and that might slow down some viruses, but the cure might be worse for you than the possibility of infection.

Goetz1965

So its fact - the first patient OUTSIDE china died in the philippines!

And I wouldn't wonder when in a short time the news will report "the prescribed antibiotic treatment didn't save the patient"....

I mean what does the usual philippino doctor do when you have an infection? 
.... When all the world knows Antibiotics don't work on virusses.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

In the entire world only one death outside of China and that was a Chinese tourist. Seems a bit premature to be talking survivalism and doomsday scenarios… 

• Like 1

Headshot
4 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

In the entire world only one death outside of China and that was a Chinese tourist. Seems a bit premature to be talking survivalism and doomsday scenarios… 

Yeah, I agree. We should wait another few weeks to panic. After all, we have no idea how many people are actually infected with this virus (all we know is the number who have actually tested positive), and the virus seems to take its time setting people up for other infections to kill them.

lamoe

If they do do a home quarantine they should notify the neighbors to insure the possibly infected AND their families stay inside.  Won't happen.

• Like 1

PeteHK
30 minutes ago, lamoe said:

If they do do a home quarantine they should notify the neighbors to insure the possibly infected AND their families stay inside.  Won't happen.

Yep, though the press conference suggested some level of monitoring by quarantining authorities. Anyway, for me and my wife we seem to be in the position where I can leave and travel to HK but my wife cannot, while she could return from there but I could not as I don't have permanent residence.

liquido

84340037_2819278618125196_6247968704508723200_n.thumb.jpg.1b0b91b57a097e19e72a79768598e3e3.jpg

Edited by liquido
  • Thanks 1

rfm010

One for  the "isnt life interesting?" category.  Wife just forwarded an email to me, originally sent saturday  from her director as a group email to all staff.  Seems 2 of wife's colleagues were on the same flight from duma as that chinese couple.  Colleagues were informed by PAL on friday, director by RITM saturday morn.  Apparently asked  to self quarantine at home.   Thursday colleagues and all senior staff had all hunkered down together all day in some sort of meeting.  Pizza was served.  

So contact would have been on the 25th for colleagues, 30th for wife if colleagues lost the lottery.    Incubation period is said to run up to 14 days.   Will keep you posted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
5 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Will keep you posted.

My immediate thought when I read about your situation was "shit..  how would we handle that in our house..  with myself, wife and 3 kids.. especially with what I've read about spousal transmission."   Not sure what effort we would make to isolate from each other, or even what we COULD do..  given the age of the kids.

So far this all seems very distant to me..  living quietly as I do in the province.  But this week my old Canadian friend and I will do a bank run together to HSBC at Ayala..  and we are each planning some additional chores for same trip..  Makes me think we should perhaps keep this trip to the minimum.

Good luck to you and your family.  Hoping to see your healthy posts here in 3 weeks.  

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

This guy takes a somewhat "what? me worry?" view of the coronavirus, so I suspect he is a bit behind in the world view of the virus. I suspect that if he was closer to what is happening, his views would change.

I commented on his video...

I live in the Philippines (Cebu). They are taking this virus much more seriously here, partly because a lot of Chinese visit the Philippines and partly because of recent events here. At least one individual has already died from complications from the coronavirus here in the Philippines, and unfortunately, he and his female companion (both from China) stayed in the Philippines for almost two weeks before he died (his companion is in an ICU in Manila). During their stay in the Philippines, they stayed in Cebu City on Cebu, in Dumagete on Negros and in Manila on Luzon, possibly infecting numerous people through contacts in each of the cities plus more in the planes, buses and ferries they took.

As a result, President Duterte has already banned all travel from China to the Philippines except by Philippine citizens and permanent residents, and they must be quarantined for two weeks before they are allowed to mix with other people. My daughter's school is requiring all parents to buy N95 masks for students (I assume that at some point, students will be turned away if they don't have masks). That is problematic because, since there are many Chinese in the Philippines, and they bought up all available masks to take or send back to China, so masks are very scarce now in the Philippines.

I ordered N95 and surgical masks from Amazon.com, so my family here will be at least somewhat protected. We have also put in a good deal of food storage in case stores run out of stock due to the virus or we don't want to go into public places. These measures are money well-spent from my perspective, and depending on what transpires with this virus, we may add more preventive measures. One only has to look at the measures China is finally taking to see how serious this virus could become. It is best to get ahead of the curve, if you want to survive when or if things get bad.

It is easy to tell people not to panic when this thing is far away, but it is quite another thing when it has come to your town and an unknown number of people are already infected. Coronavirus is not only infectious in its incubation phase (before symptoms present), but also after symptoms disappear (if the infected person survives). The period on contagion can be up to three weeks, so you can just imagine how many people an infected person can come into contact with in that time. Don't panic? That's easy for you to say.

• Like 3

bkb1

Get only a direct flight to Philippines if you plan on visiting soon or you might find yourself in a world of grief...

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/2/3/Philippines-novel-coronavirus-travel-ban.html

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 3) — The Bureau of Immigration said Monday it is coordinating with the Chinese embassy to bring home around 300 of its nationals who are in limbo after the Philippines announced a travel ban to China, Hong Kong, and Macau.

BI refused entry to foreigners, including some 300 Chinese nationals, who arrived Sunday evening from Hong Kong and Macau at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). They were stranded at the airport terminals pending their return flights.

"There are around 300 Chinese nationals who are stranded in NAIA because most of the airlines have canceled their flights already to and from the different parts of China," BI spokesperson Dana Sandoval said in a media briefing.

The plane carrying the foreign nationals arrived in the country hours after President Rodrigo Duterte expanded the coverage of the temporary travel ban amid the outbreak of the novel coronavirus or 2019-nCoV.

The temporary ban now includes all foreign travelers coming directly from mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau or who had been to those places within 14 days immediately preceding their arrival in the Philippines. Filipinos and holders of permanent resident visa will be allowed to enter the country from those places but will undergo 14 days of mandatory quarantine. Filipinos are also temporarily banned from traveling to China, Hong Kong and Macau.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1