ridingintandem

Auxiliary Lights LTO Policies

ridingintandem

hello my fellow livingincebuforumians :)

i just wonder if there is current regulations about auxiliary lights specially LED if it requires to be register to LTO prior or after it's installation?

i'm asking because i saw vlog about muffler that was registered to LTO as it was an after market parts ..

so here i am getting ideas as i'm planning to install either Bluwater or mini atom lights :chopper:

• Like 1

Dafey

Good question. I don't have an answer but I seem to remember reading about if the LED is not stock and 'appears' too bright to the officer it is illegal. So who decides what 'appears' too bright. Having LTO endorsement would be the only way I would upgrade...just in case. But, I don't know if there is a procedure for this.

I have a 2019 Yamaha with stock LED lights. The low beams are very bright and oncoming traffic seems to often be flashing me as if I have my brights on. Imagine their surprise when I flash the brights! I believe all 2018 bikes and newer have lights that are always on, (day or night), which is a good idea.

Woolf

YouTube video from 2016

Dafey

Thanks Woolfman! Here is the guidelines from the article:

The guidelines cover the installation, angle, and direction for mounting of auxiliary lights. They are as follows.

Auxiliary LED lights should have separate wiring and a separate switch from the main headlight.

Auxiliary LED lights should be pointed downwards and not towards the left side of the road.

Auxiliary LED lights should only be white or yellowish in color.

Auxiliary LED lights should be placed/ installed where it will not be affected by the motorcycle's vibration.

Auxiliary LED lights should not be used in well-lighted areas or if there is an oncoming vehicle.

Only two (2) auxiliary LED lights are permitted.

The LTO permits up to six (6) bulbs per auxiliary LED light.

The auxiliary LED light's beam should be pointed 20 centimeters downward and up to 10 meters ahead only.

Auxiliary LED lights should not be placed on any position above the motorcycle's handlebars.

Woolf

I think I read somewhere that the light must be not over  4300 kelvin,   can not find it now

• Like 1

Paddy
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Auxiliary LED lights should only be white or yellowish in color.

I’ve seen green, blue, purple and.........red here in Masbate. 
Mind you, some bikes have white at the back too. Makes for an interesting drive. 

• Like 1

Woolf
28 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I’ve seen green, blue, purple and.........red here in Masbate. 
Mind you, some bikes have white at the back too. Makes for an interesting drive. 

yes

and  totally not legal, bike could be apprehended and driver fined

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan

There's a cop here with little 4 light strips of every color imaginable randomly places all over his bike.  Maybe 20-25 on each side.  

OP Sounds like from the video etc. that Aux lights are ok if pointed downward and a separate switch.  I would at least switch them off if approaching a check point or guard shack.

• Like 1

ridingintandem

hi guys :)

thanks for all the feedback ... this only means that plenty are still puzzled by the LTO policies regarding auxiliary lights :unsure:

in fact, the rules on auxiliary lights are very vague :(

i hope that LTO Office will soon release either putting an auxiliary lights requires registration or not just like muffler in which it requires registration ..