Jump to content

Adoption and name change ... requesting advice


Maybe Next Yr

Recommended Posts

Maybe Next Yr

I'm currently living in the US with my wife and daughter (from Cebu) for the past 6 years.  We spend most summers (June and July) in Philippines (mostly Cebu) to hang with the family etc.   I adopted my daughter a couple years ago and we changed her last name (my wife kept her name) and we want to change daughter's last name in Philippines to the same as on her U.S. Passport.  My wife went to a lawyer last year and he quoted lots of money and a long, long time to get it done.  Sounded like he was looking for an ATM. 

My Ask:  Any suggestions to the best way to get it done (honestly or as honestly as possible) ?   

Much thanks, in advance!

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007

My knowledge is second hand..  Friend of mine been going through similar process for his daughter.  My understanding is that it takes quite a while to get it done...  years..  and that a court hearing is required at some point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

To be clear, the adoption took place in the USA?  The adoption process here concludes with a order of the court to have the PSA document amended to reflect the name change. If the adoption took place elsewhere, such as USA, then it’s not surprising a lawyer might quote a lengthy process. Tedious as it sounds, it may be the route you’ll have to use.  Is the intention for the name change to allow the child to travel using both USA and Filipino passports.....same name?  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe Next Yr
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

To be clear, the adoption took place in the USA?  The adoption process here concludes with a order of the court to have the PSA document amended to reflect the name change. If the adoption took place elsewhere, such as USA, then it’s not surprising a lawyer might quote a lengthy process. Tedious as it sounds, it may be the route you’ll have to use.  Is the intention for the name change to allow the child to travel using both USA and Filipino passports.....same name?  

Adoption was done in the USA.   Concerning intention ... it just seems like the proper thing to do?? She has both passports, one with her previous name (not the same as her mother's or mine ... but of the unmarried biological father).  

You would think that this is a fairly common situation here in the US, but trying to get the Philippine Consulate to answer the phone seems very difficult.

Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

It may not help, but you could contact the Bureau of Immigration (they do respond to Facebook messenger, though only customer service types). They could put you in touch with someone in the BI to call for clarification.

It seems the only time this is a potential issue is when using a passport.

I know that passport name changes for a spouse can be accomplish without a court decree. The consulate can do this.  Perhaps this can be done for an adoption as well.  Frankly, I doubt it.  I suspect a new PSA birth certificate needs to be issued based upon the adoption.  Just an opinion.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

One more thing to consider.  I’m not sure how this is done for a minor child, but I’m guessing it is simple.  Get a dual citizenship certificate from the nearby consulate.  This way, the child has a USA passport, but also the certificate showing Filipino citizenship.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

One more thing to consider.  I’m not sure how this is done for a minor child, but I’m guessing it is simple.  Get a dual citizenship certificate from the nearby consulate.  This way, the child has a USA passport, but also the certificate showing Filipino citizenship.  

If she has a valid passport from both countries, wouldn't her Philippine Passport be proof that she is a Filipino Citizen...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe Next Yr
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

If she has a valid passport from both countries, wouldn't her Philippine Passport be proof that she is a Filipino Citizen...

She has both passports, I just thought (in a very simple minded way) that it would be best to have her proper name registered correctly in both countries.   In thinking it further, it will take a birth certificate update/change to get it done in Philippines. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
M.C.A.
1 hour ago, Maybe Next Yr said:

She has both passports, I just thought (in a very simple minded way) that it would be best to have her proper name registered correctly in both countries.   In thinking it further, it will take a birth certificate update/change to get it done in Philippines. 

 

We adopted two kids from our brother in-laws, one girl and one boy and to get the name changed and the entire adoption process cost us over 100,000 pesos back in 1993 and once this was accomplished we also had to post this in the Manila Times... And then the lawyer told my wife he needs to see that we have enough money to take care of our kids and to take him out to dinner at a fancy spot and so lunch cost us 5,000 pesos at I think Spago's, there were was a movie star eating next to us a female I didn't know who she was but they did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value