JohnSurrey

Makati Hotel with Airport Pickup/Dropoff ?

JohnSurrey

Wife is going to Makati (from Leyte) next week for a couple of days

Anyone suggest a reasonably priced place to stay with airport drop off and pick up or shuttle bus or something?

Daddle

I would not recommend that method. All airport busses and shuttles that I know of stop at each of the three or four terminals. Because of the miracle that MNL is the trip between terminals is as long as the trip to Makati. Truly sad planning.

I do that trip many times per year as I live deep in Quezon Province and stay in Makati before and after each flight. From the airport take the official Yellow taxi just outside arrivals. Ignore all other taxi barkers. Never had anything but a good experience with them. Clean, friendly. 300-400 peso. To the airport use Grab. The hotel will call them. Same price. I use regular taxis too even though most everyone says not to.

Most hotels can send a van...but comparatively expensive for two. Why Yellow taxis don’t go from hotels to the airport is just one of many filipino mysteries.

We like Charter House and Greenbelt Astoria partly for the location.

Edited by Daddle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey
1 hour ago, Daddle said:

I would not recommend that method. All airport busses and shuttles that I know of stop at each of the three or four terminals. Because of the miracle that MNL is the trip between terminals is as long as the trip to Makati. Truly sad planning.

I do that trip many times per year as I live deep in Quezon Province and stay in Makati before and after each flight. From the airport take the official Yellow taxi just outside arrivals. Ignore all other taxi barkers. Never had anything but a good experience with them. Clean, friendly. 300-400 peso. To the airport use Grab. The hotel will call them. Same price. I use regular taxis too even though most everyone says not to.

Most hotels can send a van...but comparatively expensive for two. Why Yellow taxis don’t go from hotels to the airport is just one of many filipino mysteries.

Last time I got a Taxi I ended up on a roundabout with my bags because I refused to increase the agreed price to 3000... so I'm a bit worried - was a white taxi - I'll take your advice and tell her to wait for a Yellow one. 

Daddle

The Yellow taxis queue at an official attended helpful taxi stand just outside arrivals. Great system. All the riff-raff are now across the street where they can only holler at you.

• Like 2

Paddy

Over the years transiting through Manila, I have used hotel shuttles, hotel car service, yellow airport taxis and white taxis. The only times I have had any issues, it has been the white taxis. Having said that, away from the airport the white taxis seem fine. 
Hotel shuttle vans are fine if the hotel is relatively close to the airport and if you can book pickups. If you have to arrange a pickup at arrival, you can be waiting a while. 
Yellow airport taxis from the official queue are fine. Depending on time of day, other arrivals etc. the queue can be long. Luck of the draw really on wait times. 
If your budget can stand it, the prearranged hotel car service is far and away the most “pleasant” method. I used Hotel Jen a lot and their car service was run by Avis. Late model, very clean cars, smart and personable drivers. I was usually on my way within 10 minutes of meeting up with the Shangri-la transport rep at arrivals. Plus the rep would happily deal with my baggage while I snuck off to find a smoking area 😀. (That probably wouldn’t work these days!)
I’ve never used Grab to get to the airport but I have experienced them between Ortigas and Mandaluyong. Pleasant and a fraction more expensive than the white taxis I used for the same trip. Probably a better option for getting to  the airport than “the next white that comes along”!

• Like 2

onemoretry

I stay in Makati 4 times each year... I stop use taxi from Naia several years ago... I use Grab each time now..I book on the app as soon I see my bag on the belt and have no problem or scam as I see the price before accept it... normaly you get better price a newer car and no babbling about the traffic and some extra money as with yellow white or scam ride..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Paddy

As @onemoretry says, Grab FROM the airport (I’ve never done it)  is also an option and probably much better than white, yellow or shuttle. You’ll need the app. 
Onemoretry - any comment on availability / wait times at peak periods? Your booking timing suggests the car arrives at the pickup point within a few minutes of you walking there from the baggage hall. 

• Like 2

onemoretry

Last time I arrived was in january at 6pm and I got respond directly but traffic made it take 8-10 min for car to get there.... probably from departure area where he just leave some customer...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey
On 2/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, Daddle said:

Thanks - we both went in the end - stayed at the Astoria - just right for us.

• Like 1