"Flat-Earther" Daredevil Killed in California Desert Rocket Crash

softail

A daredevil and “flat-earther” was killed Saturday while trying to launch himself 5,000 feet into the air on a steam-powered, homemade rocket in the California desert.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department confirmed that a man had died in Barstow after a “rocket crashed in the open desert during a rocket launch event” but but did not identify the victim.

But the Science Channel, which was filming the launch for its new series Homemade Astronauts confirmed that well-known amateur rocket-maker “Mad” Mike Hughes had been killed.

“Our thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends during this difficult time. It was always his dream to do this launch & Science Channel was there to chronicle his journey,” the channel said in a tweet.

Video of the launch posted online showed the flight going awry from the start, with parachutes meant to carry Hughes safely back to the ground ripping away right after blast-off.

Logan Paul Sued Over Flat Earth Mockumentary by Guy Trying to Launch Himself Into Space on Homemade Rocket

The limo driver had been vowing since 2017 to ride his rocket into the air, in part to get high enough to confirm his totally incorrect belief that the Earth is flat.

He had two failed launch dates but in March 2018 managed to get 1,800 feet in the air above the Mojave Desert before parachuting back down in the nose cone, making a hard landing, according to Space.com.

“I'm tired of people saying I chickened out and didn't build a rocket. I'm tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it,” he said at the time.

In August 2019, he tried again—hoping to reach 5,000 feet, but the boiler he bought on Craigslist reportedly conked out and the mission was aborted.

As The Daily Beast reported last year, Hughes sued YouTube megastar Logan Paul for including him in a mockumentary about the flat-earth movement, claiming he was filmed at a conference under false pretenses.

He came in using fraud and deception,” Hughes told The Daily Beast.

“I’m not one to screw with when I get pissed off. I know how to shut you down.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/flat-earther-daredevil-killed-california-042503074.html

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan

I probably woudn't post this but some of the comments are pretty hilarious.  This guy built his own steam powered rocket to shoot himself up a mile to see if the Earth was flat or round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
lamoe

Yep - from comments - first one was what I was thinking

Edit: https://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/students-launch-high-altitude-balloon-into-stratosphere/article_f6b529e0-f1c3-5abe-b8a0-7051347d911b.html

100,000 feet w/ cameras :rolleyes:

The Earth is still round. Mad Mike Hughes is flat. RIP

who could have predicted thisNearly anyone that has ever launched a model rocket, or watched space documentaries, or possibly finished the 8th grade...

·Forgive me...not trying to make fun, but when I saw the parachute detach, I instantly thought about Wile E Coyot

If I had a dollar for every time I've done that to Jebediah Kerman in KSP I'd be rich enough to build a rocket like that for myself. ALWAYS CHECK STAGING!

Looks like the parachute blew off during launch.

that's what happens when u put it directly behind the engine

I wonder if he was a fan of lawn darts?

Well, the earth was flat where he landed

Or at least, flatter.

·

Edited by lamoe
Kreole

Now, just imagine that there are still millions of people who still believe the world is flat, but none of whom have the balls to prove it.  I have to hand it to the guy; he never gave up in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a real zealot to the end.

lamoe
16 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Now, just imagine that there are still millions of people who still believe the world is flat, but none of whom have the balls to prove it.  I have to hand it to the guy; he never gave up in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a real zealot to the end.

Zealot is very true "a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals."

Could have bought a drone w/camera for less than $1,000

https://interestingengineering.com/video/mini-diy-drone-flies-at-an-impressive-height-of-33000-feet-over-siberia

Mini DIY Drone Flies at an Impressive Height of 33,000 Feet Over Siberia

Headshot
3 hours ago, Kreole said:

there are still millions of people who still believe the world is flat, but none of whom have the balls to prove it. 

Why would somebody who thinks the world is flat use a ball to prove it?  :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
lamoe
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Why would somebody who thinks the world is flat use a ball to prove it?  :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Depends how big?

• Administrator
Dafey

So....this is not the CR and most of you boys that are from the CR are waaaaay off topic. Let's try to focus on the subject please.

Also let's keep in mind that a man died in the process of going higher than any of us ever imagined.

• Like 1
SkyMan
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

Also let's keep in mind that a man died in the process of going higher than any of us ever imagined.

I don't think he was trying to get that high.  Certainly a drive up Pike's Peak would be higher.  Or simply renting a ride in a Cesna.

Jester
6 hours ago, Dafey said:

So....this is not the CR and most of you boys that are from the CR are waaaaay off topic. Let's try to focus on the subject please.

I have been way higher than that, a few times without a plane.  Heck, I've had my RV at higher elevations than that!

I do recall an article about the flat earth society having thousands of members "around" the globe

• Haha 4
mikewright
On 2/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, Jester said:

I have been way higher than that, a few times without a plane.  Heck, I've had my RV at higher elevations than that!

Heck, I've walked higher than that! Poon Hill trekking  last year was over 10,000 feet. 

World didn't look very flat from there, possibly because of all the mountains blocking the view :unsure:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Since we're measuring our d***s here. 

I drove to the top of The Mauna Kea Access Road more than 13,700 feet above sea level. It's not only the highest road in Hawaii, but one of the highest paved roads in the world...

• Haha 1
lamoe
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Since we're measuring our d***s here. 

I drove to the top of The Mauna Kea Access Road more than 13,700 feet above sea level. It's not only the highest road in Hawaii, but one of the highest paved roads in the world...

I went up Blueberry hill and was probably higher than any of you :dance2:

Edited by lamoe
  • Haha 1
jcboytoys

Would anyone like to have a guess at why/how the flat earth movement started?