Barryrio

13A Obtained abroad

Barryrio

Morning all! One of our former Airbnb guests was wondering how easy it would be to process his 13A visa following his marriage to a filipina in Australia rather than in-country. He's currently living in Valencia (Dumaguete) on a Balikbayan visa. The marriage actually took place in Sydeny. Is it a quick process back in Oz or would he have to remain there for quite some time to see it through. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer! Cheers - Barry

• Like 1

SkyMan
28 minutes ago, Barryrio said:

Morning all! One of our former Airbnb guests was wondering how easy it would be to process his 13A visa following his marriage to a filipina in Australia rather than in-country. He's currently living in Valencia (Dumaguete) on a Balikbayan visa. The marriage actually took place in Sydeny. Is it a quick process back in Oz or would he have to remain there for quite some time to see it through. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer! Cheers - Barry

Have him call the embassy in Sydney and find out that info from them directly to find out their requirements and how long it takes once he has all that.  I probably would not tell them he's here now unless it is advantageous to do so.  There is some medical requirement including a chest xrayvthat is probably cheaper to do here if that's acceptable to them.  I imagine that if he has all the requirements together it will be only a few days or even same day in Sydney and then there's a couple things to do here on return.  Remember that if done overseas, you only have to do it once, so there is a big hassle savings there.  Here you have to do it twice.

Edited by SkyMan

RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I imagine that if he has all the requirements together it will be only a few days or even same day in Sydney and then there's a couple things to do here on return.

Unless things have changed, there is a waiting period after submission of the paperwork in a foreign country. The decision is not made at the embassy, it has to be sent to Manila for processing and then returned to the embassy in the country of application. If I remember correctly, that took about 6 weeks.

RogerDuMond
12 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

There is some medical requirement including a chest xrayvthat is probably cheaper to do here if that's acceptable to them. 

I went through both processes. I got the 13A in the U.S. but then we had trouble selling the house and the 13A expired so I redid it after arriving here. The amount of paperwork required in the U.S. was much greater than it was here. There was no medical testing required here, but in the U.S. there was bloodwork, chest x-ray, and a comprehensive physical exam with a statement of health from the physician.

bert
7 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

I went through both processes. I got the 13A in the U.S. but then we had trouble selling the house and the 13A expired so I redid it after arriving here. The amount of paperwork required in the U.S. was much greater than it was here. There was no medical testing required here, but in the U.S. there was bloodwork, chest x-ray, and a comprehensive physical exam with a statement of health from the physician.

we did our 13a in phils no medical just money up front same day in cebu  recomeded by BI tacloban  just a sponsor letter lodged  by phil wife after 12 months probation all clear

Just now, bert said:

we did our 13a in phils no medical just money up front same day in cebu  recomeded by BI tacloban  just a sponsor letter lodged  by phil wife after 12 months probation all clear

that was  2011

• Like 1

SkyMan
14 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

There was no medical testing required here, but in the U.S. there was bloodwork, chest x-ray, and a comprehensive physical exam with a statement of health from the physician.

But I don't think there would be a problem with doing that here before you go back to Sydney.  

14 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

The amount of paperwork required in the U.S. was much greater than it was here.

But you have to do it twice here.

Again, I would check with the embassy regarding the processing time.  Processing from Sydney to Manila may be faster and you may be able to expedite it by offering to ship it yourself rather than waiting for them to get around to it.

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, bert said:

And then you did it all again a year later, right?  You only do it once from overseas.  There's no year probationary BS.

Jawny

https://sydneypcg.dfa.gov.ph/81-consular-services/visa-services

The requirements and process seems very similar to other consulates.  Time for processing might vary depending upon how quickly the applicant can assemble documents.  Seems like the most cost effective way to do the 13a......so long as you are in country. 

RogerDuMond
37 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

And then you did it all again a year later, right? 

The removal of the probationary status, was basically just an interview to make sure that all the information from the original application was still the same and that you are still married and living together.

cookie47

The below link takes you to the Philippines Embassy in Canberra which we have visited twice (prior to my wife obtaining Australian citizenship) and have always had a pleasant experience. 

If you scroll down to NON QUOTA visa info section which sets out requirements it says visas will be issued within two weeks and I'm assuming that's a generic statement for all visas? 

https://www.philembassy.org.au/consular/visa

• Like 1

fred42
7 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Unless things have changed, there is a waiting period after submission of the paperwork in a foreign country. The decision is not made at the embassy, it has to be sent to Manila for processing and then returned to the embassy in the country of application. If I remember correctly, that took about 6 weeks.

That did not happen in my case.. Sorted out all the requirements in the UK and submitted the forms etc to R.P embassy in London.. I was called in for an interview and the guy stamped my 13a visa in passport.. He gave me all my docs in a big brown Manila envelope (sealed) and asked me to present it to BOI on arrival.. I spent a day in intramuros dotting I`s a crossing T`s while applying for my ACRi card.

Edited by fred42
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

That did not happen in my case.. Sorted out all the requirements in the UK and submitted the forms etc to R.P embassy in London.. I was called in for an interview and the guy stamped my 13a visa in passport.. He gave me all my docs in a big brown Manila envelope (sealed) and asked me to present it to BOI on arrival.. I spent a day in intramuros dotting I`s a crossing T`s while applying for my ACRi card.

There you go.  That's why you don't do it here.

7 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

The removal of the probationary status, was basically just an interview to make sure that all the information from the original application was still the same and that you are still married and living together.

When I did it was basically redoing the whole thing a second time. 

• Like 1

Barryrio

Many thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I will cut and paste them and print them out for him. You have been a great help. My thanks again! Barry

• Like 2