lamoe

Why pedestrians crossing the street don't look

lamoe
24 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Just came back from Minglanilla 

all the traffic lights there are turned off  ??       maned by traffic officers

To or 3 times I saw traffic officer step out and stop traffic  to guide pedestrians over the highway at a marked crossing

none of them got run over    traffic officer nor pedestrian

Same here in Cebu  - Admit most of my experience is on Escario near Ayala and Lex - how soon depends on enforcer and if they are paying attention

Edited by lamoe

Woolf

A bit tired here about all this pinoy bashing    what ever  shopping   traffic  etc

motor bike drivers  car drivers  what ever

• Thanks 1

Maldita23

We live within Cebu Business Park, and when I cross the pedestrian lane (areas without traffic lights), I definitely look at the coming cars. Then, I'd start walking without hesitation. If the car does not slow down, I'd raise my hand signaling I am not stopping either. If he still insists, he could read my lips calling him asshole :D.

Edited by Maldita23
  • Haha 1

lamoe
On 2/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, Woolf said:

A bit tired here about all this pinoy bashing    what ever  shopping   traffic  etc

motor bike drivers  car drivers  what ever

It's  a way of venting frustrations without getting killed (shot / intentionally run over)

They stop / we stop

On 2/19/2020 at 10:18 PM, Maldita23 said:

We live within Cebu Business Park, and when I cross the pedestrian lane (areas without traffic lights), I definitely look at the coming cars. Then, I'd start walking without hesitation. If the car does not slow down, I'd raise my hand signaling I am not stopping either. If he still insists, he could read my lips calling him asshole :D.

You can, we can't swear at anyone here - see above

baby43

Over xmas my wife and myself stayed at Horizon 101 in Mango Ave whicH always busy the crossing outside there I noticed people putting their hand up the cars stopped and let pedestrans cross we did that many times waved to the driver who waved back.

to_dave007
5 hours ago, Maldita23 said:

Now now..   If you do that again people will begin to call you ..  maldita !!

• Haha 1

lamoe
10 minutes ago, baby43 said:

Over xmas my wife and myself stayed at Horizon 101 in Mango Ave whicH always busy the crossing outside there I noticed people putting their hand up the cars stopped and let pedestrans cross we did that many times waved to the driver who waved back.

Yep look at traffic  / hold up hand - even in marked crosswalk - eventually one will stop -  that's a 4 + lane road there - make sure next car also sees you / stops - getting the first one to stop is the trick but always be careful of motor drivers  who will try to simply go around / between them.

I use a flashlight with strobe when crossing at night  - not pointed at them but in between us - they see it

• Like 1

Kreole

I noticed a guy pulling out in traffic on his mc without even bothering to look for oncoming traffic; a potential Darwin winner for sure.  As a pedestrian, I always make eye contact with the driver when walking in front of his/her car.  My rational is that they have recognized me, not the other way around.  I don't throw myself in front of cars but do give them adequate prior warning of my crossing.  Most often, I will give them a thumbs up for their courtesy of giving me the right to cross.  Also, I have a definite limp in my left leg which certainly must indicate something to the driver.  I have rarely had a driver ignore me.  Of course I do not do this in fast traffic, only at intersections with no right of way or when traffic is almost at a standstill during traffic jams, in town a very common experience.

Now, I have a lot of angst against the jaywalking enforcement which has absolutely nothing to do with public safety or the well being of the jaywalker, and everything to do with scamming an easy fine from all the poor souls who dare to cross against the light, even when there is no traffic.  They recently installed enforcers at Fuente across the street from Robinsons and the Sampaguita hotel.  I was told that I would have to cross using the skyway or walk a block to where there was a traffic light.  Well, there is a traffic light at this intersection and only recently a sign was installed high up on a pole with about 3 or 4 enforcers on the same corner.  I was stopped because I did not notice the new sign.  I have been crossing at this intersection for 10 years and never seen a casualty or a traffic jam caused by delinquent jaywalkers.  As I said, this is just easy money for the city because they would never get off their lazy asses to exercise real vehicular traffic enforcement.  That requires too much investment in motorcycles, police, etc.  Like I said, they do not give a shit about public safety or welfare.  If they did, then they would repair the thousands of potholes, lack of sidewalks, and the many other hazards that present a real and present danger, not to mention placing a moratorium on all new high rise construction projects that only increase the density of traffic.  It really is all about the money.

• Like 1

MarinePride

I've seen animals be more wary of the streets filled with moving vehicles than most people in this country.  

• Like 2

lamoe
On 2/21/2020 at 9:28 PM, MarinePride said:

I've seen animals be more wary of the streets filled with moving vehicles than most people in this country.  

Here in Inabanga, little traffic,  they look at you and don't move - dogs that is - people don't look:rolleyes:

Went out for BBQ last night - near the town center - was dark when left - strobe lighting up street in front of us - motors stopped what must have been 20 / 30 ft away :lol:

savarity

I notice they do that. I never do, as it doesn't matter who has the right of way, if it's me as a pedestrian vs a truck, I'm probably dead... but at least I'll die with the right of way? hahaha.