lamoe

Why pedestrians crossing the street don't look

lamoe

I had assumed they usually don't bother to look at oncoming traffic because they didn't want to look the driver in the eye - see quoted reference

Was talking to a native and she said if you look at a driver it means you see him and he has the right of way.

Said I should just look ahead and they'll stop for me - thought she was a friend :lol:

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/philippines/articles/your-guide-to-filipino-gestures/

Eye contact

Western cultures see direct eye contact as something positive. However, that’s not the case in the Filipino culture. While it’s necessary among professionals as it indicates confidence, not all locals are comfortable making eye contact, especially if they’re meeting for the first time. If that person refuses to look at you in the eye directly, it may indicate they have a high level of shyness. Prolonged eye contact can make someone feel uneasy.

Paddy
8 hours ago, lamoe said:

Was talking to a native and she said if you look at a driver it means you see him and he has the right of way.

Of course that flies in the face of both sanity and the rules of the road as they is writ...but after 18 months here I am finally getting it. Only attorneys actually read the rules and, around here, no one can afford one so they make up their own 😀

• Haha 3

liquido

Most of the time you cannot see the driver because his windows is so heavily tinted...

Paddy
3 minutes ago, liquido said:

Most of the time you cannot see the driver because his windows is so heavily tinted...

Which sorta begs the question...can he/she see you - especially at dusk/night?

lamoe
10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Which sorta begs the question...can he/she see you - especially at dusk/night?

Had mine done - was suppose to be medium  - drove one night - had strip removed that equals my  line of sight

Now I can see them (somewhat) when they step out from between cars, wearing all dark clothing, and the on coming cars have their with high beams.  :shocked:

• Haha 1

SkyMan

This might also partially explain something else I've observed.  If you're stuck in traffic and someone wants to cross the road, the will almost always walk to the front of your car, and sometimes go out of their way to do so.  Then, what can and does happen, is the traffic moves a bit and they have to walk farther and farther.  They are also harder to see walking up from behind rather than if they were to walk towards the car behind the one they walk behind.  But I suppose that would give them more chance to make eye contact.

Jim_in_Jax

I assumed it was a cultural attitude something along the lines of, it is everyone else's responsibility to look out for me, not the other way around.  This seems to be the same for vehicles too.

• Like 2

lamoe

Have noticed increase in J-walking police - talked to one - P50 for violation (rather steep for here) said trying to educate people - asked  about motors / cars who ignore people in marked walkways - just smiled.

Even with traffic enforcer in middle of street they still ignore you.

Edited by lamoe

Woolf
26 minutes ago, lamoe said:

ave noticed increase in J-walking police

CCTO apprehends 16K jaywalkers in 45 days

take link below:

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1844939

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

lamoe

They should tell this to the motorists

Problem is the enforcer would be run over trying to stop them

"Before the CCTO will release a violator, the traffic enforcer educate the violator about the purpose of pedestrian lane, a part of the public road where pedestrians cross. The traffic rule states that motorists approaching a pedestrian lane must slow down their vehicles or stop if there are pedestrians in the middle of the lane."

One motorist = 60 J-walkers:ROFLMAO: - no that could be some real money for city

Have seen 6 / 7  ignore pedestrians at Escario / Osmena Extension (Lex hotel stoplight)

Use 2 GO Pro type cameras (L / R)  mounted to record plate numbers - no need to stop them. :dance2:

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/43284

Drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians face P3,000 fine

Irenicus
1 hour ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

it is everyone else's responsibility to look out for me, not the other way around. 

Add that to the "I'm here first so I have right of way" rationale, and it makes sense.

Almost ran into yet another kamote rider the other day who pulled out from a side street without looking/shoulder checking RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TRUCK.

That's why Filipinos have big families.  They ain't all gonna make it.

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
41 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Add that to the "I'm here first so I have right of way" rationale, and it makes sense.

Almost ran into yet another kamote rider the other day who pulled out from a side street without looking/shoulder checking RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TRUCK.

That's why Filipinos have big families.  They ain't all gonna make it.

They do it even when not first.

I leave a lot of room on the left when I'm first in line approaching Escario for the right  "wide turners" and left "corner cutters" - had several who had to back up and try again.

Learned to check left mirror to make sure motor not coming up from behind to make a right turn onto Escario in front of me or going straight when I'm turning left to Ayala.

Edited by lamoe

Salty Dog

Are we still talking about pedestrians, as in someone on foot...:idontknow:

lamoe
6 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Are we still talking about pedestrians, as in someone on foot...:idontknow:

Not for the corner cutters / wide turners / etc.,  those are vehicles - but definitely those who step off curb against red light or step out from between cars parked / stopped or around the cars parked on sidewalk without looking at traffic.

Has devolved into examples of motorists and pedestrians having very similar attitude s about respecting each other's right of way.

Edited by lamoe

Woolf

Just came back from Minglanilla 

all the traffic lights there are turned off  ??       maned by traffic officers

To or 3 times I saw traffic officer step out and stop traffic  to guide pedestrians over the highway at a marked crossing

none of them got run over    traffic officer nor pedestrian

• Like 2